Can you sand clear coat on plastidip?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

budders will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to budders Send a message via Yahoo to budders Send a message via Skype™ to budders

Can you sand clear coat on plastidip?

hey guys, thought of a pretty cool idea. I've been wanting to re-tint my tailights for the longest to time to get a better shine.

I heard of people using the Plasti-dip Clear coat on there tailights first, then applying a layer of tint such as VHT NightShade. This way if a cop pulls you over and is giving you a hard time about your taillight tint you can just peel it off because the base coat is PlastiDip-special clear.

My question was if I did this would i be able to apply duplicolor Acrylic Enamel Clear over the nightshade and be able to sand and polish it without messing up the base coat plasti-dip clear? how easily would it peel of? would it still retain characteristics of plasti dip, or would the duplicolor clear harden to a point where it would not come of as easily.
Thanks guys

99 Mustang GT V8 5 Speed. Too many mods to list..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 mustang bullitt

bullitt ak will become famous soon enough

why go through all that if youre planning to have to take them off? most places its not illegal to tint tails
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Nitrous Injected V6
12's?

Matt. is a jewel in the roughMatt. is a jewel in the roughMatt. is a jewel in the roughMatt. is a jewel in the rough

its illegal in pa. Usually they won't hassle you if its not totally black out. If you have window tint , when they pull you over they will get you for both. Your idea sounds good, Im guessing it would work.

Project Red Magic
-Full Intake, Full Exhuast,Geared, Tune, Sprayed, Dropped-
-18 Inch Hypercoated Saleens wrapped in Nittos-
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

Send a message via AIM to budders Send a message via Yahoo to budders Send a message via Skype™ to budders

ya i've got one ticket before for window tint but thats it out of the 3 times i've been pulled over for stupid shit. I just cant really afford some dickhole cop trying to slap me with hundreds of dollars in fines for tint, i've heard of it happening before around here.

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 mustang bullitt

bullitt ak will become famous soon enough

even if you were able to pull them off once you got pulled over and showed the cop that you can doesn't mean your getting out of the ticket

Last edited by bullitt ak; March 27th, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Regular

2003 Mustang GT

jojo2003 is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about just getting the tint off ebay, you can remove it easily, and it is easy to apply. It will come in three different sections. Plus it is only like $10. Here's mine;

Old March 27th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #7
MMM JELLO!!!

2003 mustang GT

esonu is on a distinguished road

why bother? just take some gas and rub the lights and the vht comes off

2003 Mustang GT Manual
18in staggered fr500s,Mach 1 lip, mach 1 grill
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Enthusiast

1999 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by jojo2003 View Post
Have you thought about just getting the tint off ebay, you can remove it easily, and it is easy to apply. It will come in three different sections. Plus it is only like $10. Here's mine;

how glossy is that? i want the best possible shine i can get. is it about as shiny as auto clear coat?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Can you sand clear coat on plastidip?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best clear coat for VHT? bigboy05 99 - 04 31 August 23rd, 2011 09:26 AM
wet sand before i clear my rims? tommy93 V6 Mustangs 21 December 13th, 2010 12:57 AM
Buff/Sand Your Clear Coat by Hand Lefty General Car Care & Detailing 4 March 11th, 2009 11:41 AM
Clear Coat Qs hmargov1 Classic Mustangs 14 February 4th, 2009 07:09 PM
clear coat? ZoomZoomMFer The Clubhouse 38 August 4th, 2008 05:41 PM