Modded Mustang Forums banner

Built NA 2v not making power

10K views 94 replies 41 participants last post by  MikeJones 
#1 · (Edited)
*****UPDATE ON PAGE 4******

Just finished up this build and was a little dissapointed with the results. I know dyno #'s dont tell you everything, but I was hoping they'd be alot higher.

built shorblock
11.1:1 compression
stage 2 patriot heads
Bullet cams (227, 228 @.050) lift
24 lb injectors, focus pump etc.
ford racing intake
75mm tb/plenum
JLT Cai
o/r midpipe
tr 3650

made 286rwhp and about 305 trq. :cockblockedsad:
Suppose I were to add LT's, bigger cams (stage 2?) and maybe udps and possibly a trickflow or edlebrock intake...

DO you think not having these things is really holding it back? I was on a budget and tried to save some money, but now I'm wishing I had gotten LT's at least. And with the cams, we were trying to watch the clearance...

See less See more
#4 ·
Idk, numbers seem low. Could do a compression check. Did you degree the cams?

#5 ·
yea they're degreed and everything. I just had someone down here in Fl build it for me. He's awesome. I think its just missing some important components...

#7 ·
and so have alot of other people...I did ported heads, cams, and increased compression...I was hoping for 320-330...I really think the lack of Long tubes and larger cams are holding it back.

Anyone have a 330hp na 2v combo?

#16 ·
Pistons are probe 4.5cc dish. forged. I dont have a graph handy :/ I could possibly have it emailed to me or something...

#14 ·
375 to the wheels?! Ya ok...

What kind of dyno did you tune on?

Whats the weather like?

How many miles on the new motor? It will loosen up and pick up some hp.

#15 ·
umm def not 375...
24 lb injectors
tuned on a dynojet in Fl. Wasnt to hot out really...

We tuned it after I broke it in at around 1300 miles on the new motor. Maybe some more miles will help?

#19 ·
What timing are you running and what a/f? Post up a datalog screenshot so we can see spark and a/f.

Your cam selection should be fine. You don't want to got big with cams unless you want to essentially bleed off cylinder pressure (torque) under 4500 rpms.

If I was in your situation, I would save for a centri blower setup. Your engine is setup almost perfect for low boost and high rwhp. Or you could spray it as mentioned, I recommend a progressive controller.

Good luck.

#32 ·
Not sure on the a/f or timing :/ Unfortunately, I dont have any graphs or data logging sheets to post up. I'm sure my tuner could get them to me somehow though. The plan was to spray nitrous so I think we will do that once we make some decent NA power. I'm not sure how well a blower would work with the compression I have.

Wow that's really low with just the bolt ons injave I out down 267 and 307 and I don't have cams or heads or headers. There is deff something goin wrong with that setup. If you checked the compression ratio and that was good how else would you be able to tell what the problem is? Do you have a mid pipe and cat back as well still would only be worth maybe 10-12 hp you should be easily in the 320-330 range. Long tubes and full exhaust should bump u up maybe another 20 so you would be at 300 by then ur still seems low maybe the air fuel is off or something or the timming is messed up cause that engine is def sick and no feelin well:(
Yea def seems sick...its got stock manifolds, o/r H and mac catback. We'll probably check compression.

What kind of dyno? Any sort of baseline before the built motor?

Don't get too disappointed, the dyno is more of a tuning tool more than for validation.
It's a dynojet I believe...unfortunately no baseline #'s to go on...all I can say is that with a cai, midpipe, catback, tb/plenum, auto trans, street tires and 93 octane bama tune my best 1/4 time was a 14.038@98mph :/ (which is decent I think)

#20 ·
Wow that's really low with just the bolt ons injave I out down 267 and 307 and I don't have cams or heads or headers. There is deff something goin wrong with that setup. If you checked the compression ratio and that was good how else would you be able to tell what the problem is? Do you have a mid pipe and cat back as well still would only be worth maybe 10-12 hp you should be easily in the 320-330 range. Long tubes and full exhaust should bump u up maybe another 20 so you would be at 300 by then ur still seems low maybe the air fuel is off or something or the timming is messed up cause that engine is def sick and no feelin well:(

#21 ·
Its pretty much good by 1k miles. I'm thinking either the intake or cylinder heads. I'm not too impressed with patriot heads honesty. i do NOT like how they knock the swirl dams out of them. Every head I've seen done like that worked great at 7500 RPM but sucked down lower....

#22 ·
My friend made 347 and about 320tq with the trick flow top end kit long tube headers and full bolt ons including electric water pump from miezer. He has stock compression and the trick flow intake manifold as well. I was there for the running and Dyno at the AMP shop here in Phoenix who built the motor for him. They are one of the best shops in town for running and building engines: those trick flow heads are superior than the patriot and stock ported ones because the design of them is completely different instead of just the PI heads reworked and made the best they could be. I'd look into selling the heads and cams you have to someone who can afford the trick flow ones and getting those installed with the stage 2 cam. There was a na 02 with the trick flow set up and a 5.1 stroker kit that made 378 rwhp and 360 rwtq was the strongest na mod motor I've ever seen in person.

#24 ·
Hi, I am new in the post, and I am having the same problem with my car, I just refresh the motor and I have the following

Ported PI heads
Comp Cams 270xe with spring and retainer
SVT focus pump
Professional product intake manifold and 75 mm plenum
BBk 75 mm throttle body
BBK long tube header and off road Xpipe with SLP LM2
JLT ram air
24 lb injector
MSD coil pack
BBK fuel rail
SCT BA2400 maf

And I am only making like 298 WHP and 301 torque with a 91 octane custom tune
Any recommendation of what is wrong, or somebody with a similar setup how much power is it making

#28 ·
What are afr and timing settings? What is your hp/tq curve like? Where did you set the icl on the cams? Those pistons flu cut?

You should see right over the 330 mark even on stock intake. Peak numbers arent everything, but should still see more. Get exhaust squared away, double check everthing and see where you sit. If your pistons arce nothed, set cams around 106-108 icl.

Oh, do compression/leak down test to see if thats good as well. Leaking rings, bad valve job, etc will show culprit if there are any.

#31 ·
Almost every na 99-04 mustang I've seen tuned in person that had full bolt ons and heads/cams all made 330 plus hp and some with 5.0-5.1 stroker kits made over 360-370 rwhp na. Most common set up for 300 rwhp is all bolt ons with long tubes and cams when u start adding ported heads and intake manis that's should raise ur rpms and make you 20-40 more hp so 320-340 start raising compression and getting fancy trick flow parts like heads cams and intake and 340 plus is the norm I've seen so there is something def wrong going on with your ride if it car is pushing 267 and 307 without headers and your only 30 hp more with heads cams and long tubes I'd expect to get there without the heads.

#33 ·
I agree. I did tons of research before deciding on this setup and figured I'd come out with 320-330hp through a manual. I went with the NA 2v setup because I needed a new bottom end built and heads/cams was cheaper than doing a blower. It also gave me room to grow with nitrous later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.