Rear wheel bearings
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

2VSouth has a spectacular aura about2VSouth has a spectacular aura about

Rear wheel bearings

Mine are going bad and the humming noise is driving me fucking crazy so I need to change them out. I'm not positive how to do it on our cars. Just take the diff cover off, push the axles in, remove c clips and pull out axles to change the bearings?

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #2
MM Fanatic

2003 ford mustang gt
13.62 @102mph

1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice1_nice_03_gt is just really nice

i believe there pressed on aswell

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Procrastinator

2003 gt
5.4 32v on the way

DickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of light

Something like that, make sure you have new bearings and axle seals with you and it really helps to have a slide hammer with an axle bearing puller.

Edit
The bearings are behind the seals, I had no luck trying to pull the seal and it ended up easiest to just pull the bearing and seal at the same time.
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

2VSouth has a spectacular aura about2VSouth has a spectacular aura about

So the bearings and seals need replaced? Gotcha. Yes my neighbor has a slide hammer I'll be able to use. How do you pull both at the same time?
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX
14.8854@93.59

Woodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to all

How much would I expect to pay to get this done? Mine are going bad too.

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
You guys are barely 20 years old yet. A fart that vibrates your nutsack is fap material for you.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #6
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

bigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
How much would I expect to pay to get this done? Mine are going bad too.
My guess is a shop would charge you two hours labor plus parts.

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Regular

1997 Mustang GT
N/A

war1ock is on a distinguished road

You cant pull both at the same time because there at the ends of the axles. Ive done them there not bad at all.

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Im more a meth kinda guy. Primarily on the weekends.
1997 GT. K&N Filter, Smoked Angel Eye Headlights, Sequential Taillights, Summit O/R H Pipe Flowmaster 40s
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #8
MM Fanatic

2007 Mustang GT
8.90@88mph 1/8th

cschoening09 has a spectacular aura aboutcschoening09 has a spectacular aura about

this may be very similar
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

bigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of lightbigjohnstud4200 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cschoening09 View Post
1998 Ford Ranger - Axle Bearing & Seal Replacement - YouTube

this may be very similar
That video sucks. I didn't watch the whole thing but just in the first 1:30 seconds they skipped a significant portion of the job.. how to get the axles out.

This is the basics:

1) remove the rear differential cover.
2) remove the c-clips holding the axles in.
3) remove the bearings and seals
4) replace the new bearings and seals.
5) install axles and c-clips
6) reinstall diff cover and refill.

The most complete DIY will come from looking at gear install DIY's. Only thing you will have to remove are the c-clips and axles.

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX
14.8854@93.59

Woodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to allWoodman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigjohnstud4200 View Post
That video sucks. I didn't watch the whole thing but just in the first 1:30 seconds they skipped a significant portion of the job.. how to get the axles out.

This is the basics:

1) remove the rear differential cover.
2) remove the c-clips holding the axles in.
3) remove the bearings and seals
4) replace the new bearings and seals.
5) install axles and c-clips
6) reinstall diff cover and refill.

The most complete DIY will come from looking at gear install DIY's. Only thing you will have to remove are the c-clips and axles.
That doesn't look too bad actually. How much gear oil goes back in, and what is the most recommended type? I'll look up getting the C-Clips out too. Might be a good project for a sunny weekend.

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
You guys are barely 20 years old yet. A fart that vibrates your nutsack is fap material for you.
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #11
MM Fanatic

2000 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
That doesn't look too bad actually. How much gear oil goes back in, and what is the most recommended type? I'll look up getting the C-Clips out too. Might be a good project for a sunny weekend.
I can't remember exactly, but I believe it's 2 quarts.. you just fill it till it starts overflowing the fill hole; I used Royal Purple. The C-Clips are EASY.. once you have the wheels, brakes and differential open, you simply push the axle in towards differential. Then when you look inside the differential, you'll see the axle and the C-Clip. Once you remove the c-clip, you then pull the axle straight out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Rear wheel bearings
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long should it take a mechanic to change 2 rear pinon bearings +carrier bearings craigstang1 V6 Mustangs 3 May 29th, 2012 11:40 AM
rear wheel bearings dont fit STiKillr 2005 - 2010 0 August 1st, 2011 10:02 PM
Rear Wheel Bearings MONSTERSTANG Classic Mustangs 3 March 31st, 2011 06:00 PM
rear wheel bearings- difficult? SALIV8 5.0 Mustangs 4 June 11th, 2008 10:21 PM
front wheel bearings or rear end noise? jasons_98gt 96 - 98 2 April 6th, 2008 09:20 PM