Throw out Bearing noise when clutch let out?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:19 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

Damaso will become famous soon enough

Throw out Bearing noise when clutch let out?

Hi everyone. I have an 02 mustang GT and had the clutch replace about 30k ago. Car has 101k now. When i let out the clutch and have it in neutral i can hear a squeaky chattering. When i push in the clutch it goes away. What could this be please? how hard is it to replace? and im am an entry level tech so is this easy to do?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

Dysturbed87 will become famous soon enough

It is more than likely the throw out bearing. Cost of the part...$30-$40. You will have to remove transmission to replace. If you do replace it only use a Ford racing one as they are the best ones. It is possible for you to do but may be a little advanced for a beginner...just all depends on how long you want the car out of service if you attempt to try

You could leave it and it may be fine though. I've had friends that only had the noise and bearing never went out, just depends. I had one make the noise and a few weeks later it went out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old July 7th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

Supra w/ Fat Suit

02gtKev has a spectacular aura about02gtKev has a spectacular aura about02gtKev has a spectacular aura about

Mine has been making the same noise also for the past 2 months.

I had my clutch replaced 7 months ago but used the tob that came with the clutch kit.....didn't stay quiet long. Im hoping i can squeeze another 2 weeks out of it so i can get it replaced with the ford oem one i bought.

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

02 gt 5 speed
13.7 @96 stock

joshdj13 will become famous soon enoughjoshdj13 will become famous soon enough

mines been making the noise for about 3 months. i would recommend replacing the clutch while you have the trans out. it will save a lot of trouble down the road. i also recommend the ford racing tob
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Procrastinator

2003 gt
5.4 32v on the way

DickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of lightDickH is a glorious beacon of light

Not uncommon for non ford throw out bearings to go bad quickly. My throw out bearing made noise for probably a year before i changed it. As far as a technical job, once you pull the transmission you are 49% done so if you can do that you are good.
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #6
August '13 ROTM Winner

'04 GT & '88 K1500
I can spin both wheels!

Mach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond reputeMach Stang! has a reputation beyond repute

yup. I have that squeaking to. Very faint, but so far its been fine after a month.

a min ago i was sick, felt like puking. then i farted, now im hugry

-Rocco
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #7
MM Fanatic

Supra w/ Fat Suit

02gtKev has a spectacular aura about02gtKev has a spectacular aura about02gtKev has a spectacular aura about

Mine has progressed to constantly chriping at idle.

Old July 8th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Regular

Damaso will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all of the responses. I think ill probably replace it next semester in my trans class at school. I want to get a heavy duty clutch anyways cause i wanna spray the stang. thanks for the input.
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #9
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

Yep, sounds like a TOB. Follow the how to guide in the sticky section. I would replace it ASAP before it explodes into pieces. Shouldn't take but ~5 hours if you've never done it before, with breaks.

Edit: replacing your clutch? look no further.
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Enthusiast

00 GT-MMR4.75(291)

MacDizzle will become famous soon enough

Mine comes and goes also usually after doing burnouts but its faint.

2000 GT - MMR 4.75 (750SE)
2013 GMC Sierra - 5.3L Vortec
2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4i
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Enthusiast

cc250r is on a distinguished road

mine has a small knock once i press the clutch a little its gone. Its been like this since i started driving in january.

f350-8" lift, moto metal 951's, toyo m/t 37/13.50/17, no cat borla, HID's, train horns, tints

07 r6=flat black, full exhaust, geared

MM cobra club #121
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Bringing Yellow Back

2002 mustang gt
12.2 at 117

zinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to zinc-vert02

mine makes a rattle noise, it has since i put the new clutcha nd tob in it. im pretty sure the fork is worn out

Stock long block 2v, stock trans, 100 shot of go fast gas. 315hp and 430 trq on spray
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Mr. Stangarang

2014 Mustang GT
xx.x @ xxx.xx

04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough04MidnightGT is a jewel in the rough

My car is running the factory installed clutch and I just hit 89k, boosted since 85k, and the tob is just now starting to go lol. The person who had my car before me was an older gentlemen, always babied it, and then I bought it

Oh yea I bumped it up to 10psi last night and when I raced a 600cc crotch rocket I layed rubber on the road at 40mph

00' Silver Eclipse GT "Fail" - Sold
04' Black Mustang GT "Giovanna" 396rwhp 460 rwtq - Sold
08' Rally Red Lancer Evolution X MR "Scarlett" - Sold

14' Oxford White Mustang GT "Alexandria" - Daily Driver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/268900-throw-out-bearing-noise-when-clutch-let-out.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Throw out bearing noise, new clutch, new bearing | Corral.net: Ford Mustang Forums | BoardReader This thread Refback November 29th, 2012 03:26 PM
Thread Clutch/Throw-out bearing noise | Subaru Forester Owners Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback July 16th, 2012 12:33 PM

Threads Similar to: Throw out Bearing noise when clutch let out?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my throw out bearing and/or clutch going out? TheOdessa 99 - 04 8 February 14th, 2012 12:16 AM
Clutch Throw Out Bearing Squealing Oakey 99 - 04 9 June 8th, 2010 10:39 AM
Throw out bearing? squeeking noise rene_79_9@hotmail.com V6 Mustangs 18 October 5th, 2009 04:38 PM
Question about clutch, throw out bearing? Mike Johnson 5.0 Mustangs 0 March 16th, 2008 02:08 PM