Car bogging down when hitting gas updates
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Regular

2003 Mustang GT

newsatng is on a distinguished road

Car bogging down when hitting gas updates

So I've been having a problem with my 03 GT vert (55k miles) where the car bogs down when you hit the gas. I could be sitting at a red light and when it goes green an old lady can walk faster than my car accelerates. Takes a good 4 seconds for it to get up to say 8mph. However, I've noticed it only gets that bad when the car is warmed up. When cold the car runs so so, but still not performing like it used to. As soon as the car is warmed and I am driving around it starts acting like absolute sht. I hit the gas it doesnt want to go fast. Sounds like the exhaust is going puff puff puff at fast intervals. (AND LET ME CLARIFY) When I hit the gas hard at a complete stop say, the exhaust does not sound like it's reving normal. It makes that puff noise when warmed up at low RPMS which is not as present on cold start.

Also noticing now that I dont know if I hear the radiator fan going on as of last week, but that still doesnt explain why it acts poorly even when cold start. This might be a separate issue, because it has been doing this for awhile now and I remember hearing the radiator fan a few weeks ago. Engine temp gauge is in the middle and has never overheated.

NEW PARTS:
MAF $180
FRPS $60
Fuel pump $155 (2nd one)
Entire Fuel module assembly unit $379
Fuel Pump Driver module $35
Motor mounts $200
Transmission flush
Oil change done recently
Fuel filter 6 months ago
Added Royal purple ice to coolant
Ran gumout carb/fuel cleaner

Now I have a theory that may or may not make sense. Is it possible that when my fuel pump was changed and they had to drop the tank that maybe they disrupted some sediment on the tank wall that has since made it's way into the fuel filter? I just had the filter changed no more than 6 months ago, but could it be clogged again from 3 weeks ago?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

GP-SE will become famous soon enough

check the fuel pressure, you can use a scan tool to see, should be 40psi at idle.
sounds like a misfire to me, but instead of throwing parts at the car, i would:
Leak down test
check plugs, check coils, check the boots for cracks on the coils
check for vacuum leaks, could be a cracked intake manifold, or intake manifold gasket.
I don't think it's fuel related, as it seems more temp. related.
misfires dont' always set the engine light, I'm thinking you have a misfire from either plugs, coils, or intake manifold/gasket.
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Boost Bro

2000 Mustang GT

bullitggt has a spectacular aura aboutbullitggt has a spectacular aura aboutbullitggt has a spectacular aura about

My car bogs when rev matching to downshift, and I can't figure it out either, its the most annoying thing.

2000 GT
Mod List
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Regular

PONYMAN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to PONYMAN
Cool

One thing is checking what type of gas you use.
I would use premium gas , Shell, Chevron, Exxon ....
I usuall buy my gas from the the same stations , no mom & pop stores .
Previous posters gave good advice also .
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Well, well, well...

2001 Mustang GT

Zap Brannigan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GP-SE View Post
check plugs, check coils, check the boots for cracks on the coils
check for vacuum leaks, could be a cracked intake manifold, or intake manifold gasket.
I don't think it's fuel related, as it seems more temp. related.
misfires dont' always set the engine light, I'm thinking you have a misfire from either plugs, coils, or intake manifold/gasket.
This is what happened to my car and it exhibited the exact same symptoms as your car OP so I would definitely check into it. Shine a light down into the spark plug wells and see if there is coolant pooling around the plugs. Also, most likely place of cracks/hairline fracture is at the passenger side rear where the heater hose goes into the intake manifold.
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Speed limits overated...

2002 mustang gt

noisything02 is on a distinguished road

Is you maf aftermarket? An aftermarket maf requires a tune be done to run correctly with out bog.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Car bogging down when hitting gas updates
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
98 gt bogging on wot Sammy8172 96 - 98 24 August 21st, 2012 07:56 PM
still bogging snakebite8 4V / SVT 7 October 5th, 2009 12:46 AM
Car Bogging when hot Ticket-Me-Yellow V6 Mustangs 1 April 9th, 2009 08:44 PM
Bogging Down At Wot, Please Help bengt87 5.0 Mustangs 6 August 21st, 2008 08:26 AM
Car Is Bogging Out 98 gt 96 - 98 5 November 12th, 2006 09:07 AM