Lower control arm install
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

guitarpro1992 is on a distinguished road

Lower control arm install

Hey guys I just bought some j&m lower control arms from American muscle to hopefully help out with wheel hop and traction a bit. I am going to be installing them myself and hear its a pretty easy job but does anyone have a link to an install for 99-04? The guides I keep seeing are for 05up and it is a much different install. Any pointers also?? Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/16039.pdf
2005 GTO M6. 402ci twin turbo.

Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Anything is better than a V6. Even an LSx
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT Premium

Snorky will become famous soon enough

its not a difficult install, just take your time and be patient
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Regular

eddyroxx is on a distinguished road

easy install, only thing i ran into was when i was installing the spring, i accidentally pinched the abs wire, just keep an eye out and you will be fine
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra
12.4@112mph 1.9-60ft 5000ft-DA

JoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to JoshC

here ya go. i made this when i did the install on my 2000 GT.

This was done on a 2000 convertible GT. I would imagine that that 79-93, 94-98 and the 99-04 would be the same or very similar.

All in all this is a very simple processes and even an inexperienced individual should be able to handle this task.

What i used...

4 jack stands
Pliers
Punch
18mm wrench and deep-well socket
13mm socket
9/16 deep-well socket
11/16 deep-well socket
13/16 deep-well socket
8mm socket
1/2 drive ratchet and breaker bar
3/8 drive ratchet
Flat blade screw driver
Pry bar
15mm wrench
Various sized extensions

First of all you want to get the back of the car in the air and position your jack stands

Put the front 2 jack stands here

The back two jack stands will support the rear axle of the car. Once you get your front two stands positioned, you'll want to lower the rear axle of the car till its hanging and then jack it back up about 6 inches and position your stand to support the axles. Put your stands as close to the differential as possible, this will help later on with pulling the LCA's and installing them.

Next you'll want to remove the sway bar. youll need to remove this line and little bracket.

Go ahead and unbolt all 4 sway bar bolts and put the whole thing out.

Now, loosen the LCA bolts. The one at the rear of the car is very easy but the one towards the front had a couple things in the way. i unbolted this little bracket.

And i loosened up my cat-back and swung it out of the way.

Other wise i couldn't get to the bolt within this hole here.

Position your jack under the rear of the LCA like so.

Remove the bolt and let it down slowly.

Remove your spring once its free.

Go ahead and remove the other LCA bolt and pull out the LCA.

With my LCA's(Maximum Motorsports) i had to remove my parking break cable and reposition the parking break bracket.

If this is required for your LCA's, first you'll need to remove the E-clip that is holding the cable. I used a flat bladed screw driver and it popped right out. Before you do anything to you parking break, make sure it is OFF!

Grab the end of the parking break cable and pull it off.

From there just remove the cable.

In the stock configuration the bracket looked like this.

And I needed to make it look like this.

My LCA's have poly bushings on one end and need to be greased before installation.

Get them all greased up, inside and out... this can get messy.

I used the crush sleeve to spread the grease around before putting the bushings in the LCA's. Once you spread that gooey stuff around, install the bushings into the LCA's and then the crush sleeve.

Spread some grease on the outer part of the bushing that'll be contacting the car.

Install the front part of the LCA first. Do not tighten the nut and bolt yet, loosely fit it for now.

Install the spring ISO, if you'd like, you can remove them now for an extra 1/4 inch drop. Then position the spring on the LCA while the end of the LCA is on your jack, jack the LCA into position and install you bolt.

An important thing to remember, is while positioning your springs, the pig tails need to be at the back of the car or in other words pointing towards the driver side.

Now you can tighten the LCA bolts down nice and tight. Once you've done that go ahead and slip the parking break bracket back over the cable and reinstall the parking break cable.

This is not required but is suggested. once a good set of LCA's are installed, you can remove your quad shocks. just go ahead and unbolt them and pull them out cause they are now dead weight.

This nut here is welded to the quad bracket, so don't try to undo it cause you'll feel like a idiot once you realize its welded.

Follow these exact steps for the other side of the car.

Once you've done both sides you can now reinstall the sway bar.

Now bolt your catback back up and put your wheels back on and lower her down... Its time for a test drive

My 04 Cobra Build <-- pics/info about my car

MM Cobra Club #2.76
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Regular

2002 mineral grey gt

crzystang11 will become famous soon enough

yeah its super easy Josh laid it out real nice right there...
just make sure you got everything solid on a stand and a good jack and this takes around 2 hrs or im my case 5hrs i got busy drinkin beer
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #7
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

nice write up
2005 GTO M6. 402ci twin turbo.

Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Anything is better than a V6. Even an LSx
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

RedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the rough

I'll be using this next weekend.

Old August 20th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #9
Regular

eddyroxx is on a distinguished road

thats a nice write up
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast

2012 Mustang GT

UDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond repute

sweet write up. reps.

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee!
Dude if you had a vagina I would end you
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #11
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra

JoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud ofJoshC has much to be proud of

thanks guys

MM Cobra Club #2.76

Last edited by JoshC; August 20th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Authorized Vendor

2004 Mach 1 - 2011 GT

AMDanBailer is just really niceAMDanBailer is just really niceAMDanBailer is just really niceAMDanBailer is just really niceAMDanBailer is just really nice

Originally Posted by guitarpro1992 View Post
Hey guys I just bought some j&m lower control arms from American muscle to hopefully help out with wheel hop and traction a bit. I am going to be installing them myself and hear its a pretty easy job but does anyone have a link to an install for 99-04? The guides I keep seeing are for 05up and it is a much different install. Any pointers also?? Thanks!
Yeah, the install is very simple. Like recommended above, just take your time and you'll be good to go with our install guide! The write up posted in this thread is spot on as well, that should be a great help.

Let me know if you have any questions or need further assistance. Thanks for shopping with AM, we appreciate your business and loyalty.

- Dan
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old August 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

sonicx will become famous soon enoughsonicx will become famous soon enough

Wish my man jazzer the cat got in here. Whats the goal for suspension? Because for a tad bit more I wouldn't went with a different lca more suited to your need versus a generic one. Like these guy said pretty straight n easy. Nice write up with pics above.
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

is it absolutely neccessary to use 4 jack stands? i only have 2
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt, 2004 3.9l

Filly has a spectacular aura aboutFilly has a spectacular aura aboutFilly has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by guitarpro1992 View Post
is it absolutely neccessary to use 4 jack stands? i only have 2
I used 2 jack stands and a floor jack
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM   #16
Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

okay thats what i have, just put the 2 stands under the axle like in the pic?
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Bullitt, 2004 3.9l

Filly has a spectacular aura aboutFilly has a spectacular aura aboutFilly has a spectacular aura about

I placed mine for support under the frame and used a 22 in floor jack under the rear end.
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #18
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra

It'll be easiest with four cause you'll need a jack to get the control arm out and into place.

MM Cobra Club #2.76
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM   #19
Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

I am going to tackle the install saturday morning but before I start I had another question, when I bought the car I had my mechanic take upr control arms off and install the stock ones that came with the car because of the noise the upr made. My mechanic had to go out and get new nuts and bolts because the last owner didn't include them with the stock arms do my mechanic bought new nuts and bolts and put it all together. The bolts he used look pretty big though so I'm not sure if they are the right size for the j&m arms. What size bolts do I need to get? Or would the bolts my mechanic used have to be the right size meanin would only one size fit?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:55 PM   #20
I <3 Boost

04 Cobra

those should be fine.

MM Cobra Club #2.76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.