MSD Box on 2000 Mustang Gt?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)

2000 Mustang Roush Clone

Qwik Four Six is on a distinguished road

MSD Box on 2000 Mustang Gt?

Whats up guys. I was thinking about getting a msd box for my 2000 mustang gt. It has a full cold air intake, accufab throttle body and plenum, typhoon upper and lower intake, ford racing ev6 24# injectors, accel cop's, flowmaster 2 chamber muffler, stock exhaust manifolds, O/R H pipe, magnaflow catbacks, and 3:73 gears. Still running on a stock tune. What are you guys opinions? Is there a difference between the 6a and the 6al? And is it worth it to put one on? I've heard good and bad things about wiring up the msd box..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

12.41@114

termi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of light

Not needed and won't work anyways.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Aksprays is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Aksprays Send a message via Yahoo to Aksprays

Some of the questions i see are like wow.. only MSD i know of is the individual coils which are quite expensive. But to answer your question the major difference between the 6a and 6al is the 6al has a rev limiter with chips you switch out depending on what your what to limit to be. There also a BSM? which is has the same features as the 6al but also has a timing control knob so you can adjust your timing from within the car if you are running boost. but none of this matters since it wont for on our cars.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

cliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Qwik Four Six View Post
Whats up guys. I was thinking about getting a msd box for my 2000 mustang gt. It has a full cold air intake, accufab throttle body and plenum, typhoon upper and lower intake, ford racing ev6 24# injectors, accel cop's, flowmaster 2 chamber muffler, stock exhaust manifolds, O/R H pipe, magnaflow catbacks, and 3:73 gears. Still running on a stock tune. What are you guys opinions? Is there a difference between the 6a and the 6al? And is it worth it to put one on? I've heard good and bad things about wiring up the msd box..
"Still running on a stock tune."

Then you have accomplished nothing by bolting on all that stuff, if you are looking for more power get rid if the stock tune.

The stock tune's ignition timing is very conservative, and with the stock 19 lb/h injectors it runs rich at WOT. With the 24 lb/h injectors it must be running pig rich. The short term fuel trims are likely way out of whack as well.

Also, the stock ignition system is good for well over 600 rwHP--you are a long way from that...
PP 70mm TB & plenum, Ralco RZ_flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

new ride - 1998 SL500, 5.0L 32V 326/347 HP/tq
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)

2000 Mustang Roush Clone

Oh... Im more familiar with foxbodies and the 5.0, not new edges. And my old fox was carbuerated. But why wont the msd box work on the 99-04?
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)

2000 Mustang Roush Clone

Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

Then you have accomplished nothing by bolting on all that stuff, if you are looking for more power get rid if the stock tune.

The stock tune's ignition timing is very conservative, and with the stock 19 lb/h injectors it runs rich at WOT. With the 24 lb/h injectors it must be running pig rich. The short term fuel trims are likely way out of whack as well.

Also, the stock ignition system is good for well over 600 rwHP--you are a long way from that...
I know its not getting all the power that it could be getting. Im not dumb dude. Wanna spare me $650 to get it tuned? Lol. I got the car from my brother with all that on it. He was in the process of getting it tuned.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular

2001 Mustang cobra

sgilbert8277 will become famous soon enough

Nothing really to add, he pretty much summed it all up!!

E Thug 4LIFE
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #8
MM Fanatic

12.41@114

termi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of lighttermi_GT is a glorious beacon of light

I know its not getting all the power that it could be getting. Im not dumb dude. Wanna spare me $650 to get it tuned? Lol. I got the car from my brother with all that on it. He was in the process of getting it tuned.
Either way, its dumb to run 24lb injectors on a simple bolt-on GT. Put the 19s back in it. It will run better.

The MSD boxes won't work because there is no coil/distributor to hook up to. as stated above the COP's are more then enough to handle a good amount of power.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Enthusiast

00 GT-MMR4.75(291)

MacDizzle will become famous soon enough

Flex fuel?

Flex fueled stang? How?

2000 GT - MMR 4.75 (750SE)
2013 GMC Sierra - 5.3L Vortec
2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4x4i
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

it wont work because that box is designed to work with a distributor system. ours does not have a distributor, we have coils on the plug.

you need to swap back in the 19 hour injectors. if you have a stock tune you're simply wasting fuel with upgraded injectors. surprised it's not tripping any codes.

and who in their right mind would charge you $650 for an n/a stock cam tune? unless you're saying you've got to buy a tuner. look at getting an SCT tuner with bama tunes from american muscle's website. they probably give a discount for forum members on that stuff too.

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #11
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

F8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to F8L GT

the only way to run an MSD ignition on a 4.6 is to run 2 Dis 4 ignition boxes and 4 tach adaptors to drive them. If on an early 4.6 with coil packs, you only need 2 tach adaptors.

get an email tune. No need to spend 650 on getting it dyno tuned

MM Bracket Racing Crew Co-Founder

Old October 10th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

lol correct me if im wrong and i just might be but when you do injectors you have to also do a maf thats calibrated to it or not? kind of off subject.. but now im curious. and he is running gears probably driving like a grandma thinking he is doing highway speeds
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Regular

2001 Mustang cobra

sgilbert8277 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
and who in their right mind would charge you $650 for an n/a stock cam tune? unless you're saying you've got to buy a tuner. look at getting an SCT tuner with bama tunes from american muscle's website. they probably give a discount for forum members on that stuff too.
Yeah, I didint even read that part. Someone's lost their fuckin mind!! $300 with dyno time all day!!

Originally Posted by Aksprays View Post
lol correct me if im wrong and i just might be but when you do injectors you have to also do a maf thats calibrated to it or not? kind of off subject.. but now im curious. and he is running gears probably driving like a grandma thinking he is doing highway speeds
Nope... You can do allll that with the tune. There are parameters you can adjust for injector size.

E Thug 4LIFE
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #14
Regular

2001 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by sgilbert8277 View Post
Yeah, I didint even read that part. Someone's lost their fuckin mind!! $300 with dyno time all day!!

Nope... You can do allll that with the tune. There are parameters you can adjust for injector size.
no shit.. you on the Big E?
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

cliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant futurecliffyk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MacDizzle View Post
Flex fueled stang? How?
Flex-fuel: burns gas and rubber...
PP 70mm TB & plenum, Ralco RZ_flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

So-called "calibrated" MAFs are a kludge left over from the days when it was not convenient, or even possible, to alter the tune--read more about this here.

When changing injectors there are two injector related scalar values that must be altered, the High and Low Injector Slopes. The high slope value defines the injectors' normal capacity, the low slope value is their capacity at short pulse widths. The values are specified in lb/h in most systems, with the low slope typically being 115% to 125% of the high slope value. The injector slope values can and should be tweaked to get the fuel trims properly aligned.

Two other values that should at least be checked are the Minimum Injector Pulse Width, and the Fuel Injector Breakpoint. The first is as the name implies the minimum (shortest) injector pulse width (in seconds, ex. 0.0006 s) that the injectors can handle, the second is the fuel delivery point (in lb/crankshaft revolution, ex. 0.000011 lb/rev).

The breakpoint is the fuel delivery rate below which the PCM use the low slope injector value when calculating injector pulse width.

Old October 11th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang gt

cobra241 has a spectacular aura aboutcobra241 has a spectacular aura about

I had one shoo tell me 250 to tune it, another 200... search around
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)

2000 Mustang Roush Clone

Wtf are you talking about "driving like a grandma thinking he is doing highway speeds"???? And I have a bbk 86mm 24# maf.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Roush Stage 2 Clone ;)

2000 Mustang Roush Clone

No. I'm talking about Pro Dyno in fort mill SC. Its not some off the wall shop.... If I get the tuner from them, then its 350 plus 250 to get it tuned.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

Wtf are you talking about "driving like a grandma thinking he is doing highway speeds"???? <snip>
Because the OP stated he had 3.73:1 final drive gears and the stock tune--unless a SpeedCal or similar has been installed the speedometer will read 80 when the car is really going 70...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.