"lifter" tick causes what damage?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT
11.463@121.50

saxmanJJ has a spectacular aura aboutsaxmanJJ has a spectacular aura about

"lifter" tick causes what damage?

I think I've got a ticking "lifter" that is rearing its head now that it's cold out.

Running the motor hard with this condition, what damage would it/could it cause to the engine?
MM Bracket Racing Crew Member #5
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Asian Persuasion

1999 Roush Stage II

iRoush is a splendid one to beholdiRoush is a splendid one to beholdiRoush is a splendid one to beholdiRoush is a splendid one to beholdiRoush is a splendid one to beholdiRoush is a splendid one to behold

you could potentially collapse a lifter and if that happens, the follower could fall out causing PTV contact.

BTM AutoSport - Like us on Facebook! - Follow us on Instagram!
2014 CP-SD National Tour Champion
#99 '99 Roush Stage II - SU
'92 Mazda Miata
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 Mustang Gt

07gtS197 is on a distinguished road

Also if u have ticking lifters that could mean u have an oiling problem

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

A hydraulic lifter that ticks during a cold start and then stops after the engine is warmed up is loosing its pressure when the car is turned off. Because of this that rocker arm has too much slap causing the tick. I drove a truck five years with a ticking lifter. It was still running good when I got rid of it.

What oil are you running? If you go to an oil that flows better during a cold start such as 0w20 or 0w30 the lifter will pump up faster.
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Regular

2002 Mustang GT
2.107 60 foot 13.78@102 mph. N/A Stock Gears n Street Tires

Lift-O is on a distinguished road

What eagle said. Mine does it too, just make sure the motor is warm before you go wot.
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT
11.463@121.50

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
A hydraulic lifter that ticks during a cold start and then stops after the engine is warmed up is loosing its pressure when the car is turned off. Because of this that rocker arm has too much slap causing the tick. I drove a truck five years with a ticking lifter. It was still running good when I got rid of it.

What oil are you running? If you go to an oil that flows better during a cold start such as 0w20 or 0w30 the lifter will pump up faster.
Right now I have 70 dollars worth (LOL!!!) of pretty fresh Royal Purple 5w30 in the motor, so I'm not going to change it out for 0w30 just yet.

BTW, since I mostly use the car for racing, I use the 30 weight...

How many hours of a job should it be to replace all the lifters on the passenger side head?
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 Mustang Gt

If u are going to replace your lifters replace all of them. It took me a couple hours doing all of the myself. Do youself a favor and buy the valve spring compressor and dont get it stuck in the head lol

Old November 17th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT
11.463@121.50

Thanks for the info.

I had a bad lifter in my driver's side head and had all those replaced when I was putting my forged motor together. Now about 5000 miles later I think I've got one going bad on the passenger side. I only have about 55000 miles on the car, but I race it pretty hard.

Should I put some heavier valve springs in at the same time (doing both heads obviously)??? I've got new stock valve springs, using Comp 262 cams.
I wind the motor out to 6500 rpms at the dragstrip and would like to rev it out a touch more.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 Mustang Gt

With any cam it would be smart get beehive springs just to be safe

Old November 17th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #10

Cdbformula is on a distinguished road

I had a slight ticking noise on startup, then the idler pulley started whining. When I changed it the tick was gone.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #11
The Beast

00 Mustang GT Vert/88 5.0

SSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us have ran a car with a lifting ticker, but since the lifter is not fully pumping up then there is always the chance something could happen. If your changing cams or on a new motor do not pump up the lifters cause this can cause a valve to stay open during the starting cycle resulting in low compression on one or more cylinders which is detrimental to the break in on a new motor or Camshaft. I would suggest replacing all your lifters.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
11.50@121.77@ 523RWHP
Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
Turbo build underway
BUILD THREAD http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...has-begun.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.