Tubular K-Members
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

Latvik is on a distinguished road

Tubular K-Members

I've been reading up on these and it seems there are 2 "groupings"

$350 range
QA1
PA something
UPR

$650-1k+ range
Maximum Motorsports
Griggs Racing

I don't mind spending the extra $300+ but are they that much better? I enjoy taking turns as hard as possible and pushing the handling to the limit, but will I actually notice any difference during street driving? I guess the other factor is durability, I've read here and there about occasional cracking on the cheaper versions.

weeeeeee
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #2
The Little 2v That Could

2001 Mustang Bullitt

srt10ram is a name known to allsrt10ram is a name known to allsrt10ram is a name known to allsrt10ram is a name known to allsrt10ram is a name known to allsrt10ram is a name known to all

Whatever you do, do not go QA1. I have one and I had to bore out the 4 mounting holes, to allow enough adjustment to get the piece of shit to align right. The QA1 also pushes the wheels out a 1/2". I've heard good about the UPR, supposedly it's the lightest one too, If I could do it over again, I'd go with the whole UPR Kit (K, A-arms, Coilovers).

Also I wouldn't recommend the UPR or Qa1 for anything but drag/normal street use. Since I install mine I don't take turns and corners nearly as fast as with the stock K. Road coursing and hard cornering I'd only trust MM or the higher level K's.

Toy - 01' Bullitt #3320
DD - 09' Suzuki DR200se
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Premium Member

1999 Mustang GT

alivingmustang is on a distinguished road

There are several other K-Members on the market as well, besides the ones you have listed. I'm sure you'll get many other suggestions. But, UPR is pretty much the standard for most.
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #4
The Mean Green

MATT02GT is a name known to allMATT02GT is a name known to allMATT02GT is a name known to allMATT02GT is a name known to allMATT02GT is a name known to allMATT02GT is a name known to all

Check out Racecraft, they make a very good product that doesnt break the bank like the MM unit. You can also add the road race option to beef it up more. Mine fit like a glove also

Its not how fast you drive, but how you drive fast.
2002 Mustang GT... Just The Usual Bolt-Ons

Bolt on list in Garage...... MM Insomniac Crew
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

JD00GT will become famous soon enoughJD00GT will become famous soon enough

Team Z just started making autox k members as well. Like SRT said, I wouldn't corner hard with a k member setup that is built for drag use.

***Build Thread***

Laser Red Crew #12
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Abyssinian of AX

'02 Saleen
19.34@42.259

Jazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant futureJazzer The Cat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Latvik View Post
I've been reading up on these and it seems there are 2 "groupings"

$350 range
QA1
PA something
UPR

$650-1k+ range
Maximum Motorsports
Griggs Racing

I don't mind spending the extra $300+ but are they that much better? I enjoy taking turns as hard as possible and pushing the handling to the limit, but will I actually notice any difference during street driving? I guess the other factor is durability, I've read here and there about occasional cracking on the cheaper versions.

weeeeeee
As some others have said, many of the aftermarket "K's" are designed for dropping weight and drag use. This makes them less than ideal for corner carving. If you are looking to take corners HARD..... my recommendation is to stick with MM or Griggs. They are designed specifically to corner hard and Griggs is built for use directly on the open-track. This does NOT mean that others will not work here, but these two are proven to hold up in such conditions.

As for other differences... the "K's" designed for cornering have to deal with MUCH greater levels of stress than those designed for drag. These two will also either shift the wheels forward about 1" or have the option to do so. This, along with a few other things, help to address geometry issues, that hold back the Mustang from reaching its potential in cornering. Shifting the wheels forward also allows the adding of some caster and retaining better clearance to your fenders. Of these two, Griggs is a more hardcore piece and can be combined with some addtional upgrades that will put the Mustang on a completely different level than anything else of which I am aware.

Jazzer

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat View Post
As some others have said, many of the aftermarket "K's" are designed for dropping weight and drag use. This makes them less than ideal for corner carving. If you are looking to take corners HARD..... my recommendation is to stick with MM or Griggs. They are designed specifically to corner hard and Griggs is built for use directly on the open-track. This does NOT mean that others will not work here, but these two are proven to hold up in such conditions.

As for other differences... the "K's" designed for cornering have to deal with MUCH greater levels of stress than those designed for drag. These two will also either shift the wheels forward about 1" or have the option to do so. This, along with a few other things, help to address geometry issues, that hold back the Mustang from reaching its potential in cornering. Shifting the wheels forward also allows the adding of some caster and retaining better clearance to your fenders. Of these two, Griggs is a more hardcore piece and can be combined with some addtional upgrades that will put the Mustang on a completely different level than anything else of which I am aware.

Jazzer
thanks jazzer that's exactly the info i was looking for, i'm basically looking for my to car to well, be like yours, except I don't have the budget to go that hardcore yet, more in stages. I'm much more into "corner carving" than drag racing, even though Englishtown is relatively close. I grew up with my uncle and his vettes which basically became the staple of what I want in a car. Realistically i'd own a vette if I didn't live in a city, its bad enough what happens to my mustang but vettes just get mauled by parallel parkers here. btw I said vette I know i'm going to die a horrible death now!

Other question was, while I'd love the GR40 system that's not really on the table right now, but if I did want to go that route later on, would it work with the MM K-member? I see that the GR40 systems in the $3k range do not include the k-member.

Also whats your short short answer, i'll make it easy on you heh Yes or No for IRS for a corner carver?
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

hmm other thing I read somewhere was that buying the MM k-member would actually cost around $1400 when fully installed, other than a coil over kit and possibly c/c plates (which I already have) what else is involved?

Does the griggs need the same extra cost to be budgeted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.