Antifreeze leak and bad smell
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

phayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud of

Antifreeze leak and bad smell

Noticed a horrible smell a few weeks ago in my car and spent a good hour looking around for a dead rat or something Then I get home from school and the coolant light is on so I throw some in. About a week later (today) the coolant light came on again and it's pretty low. I also made the connection that the horrible dying smell smells exactly like my coolant. What's going on here?

3500 lbs w/ driver

BAMA 92 tune | SR short throw shifter | SR CAI | Tein springs | Tokico shocks & struts | BBK offroad x-pipe | Magnaflow catback | FRPP 4.10s
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Kielbasa Kai, NEVER DIE!

slowmatic
12.24 @110.09

Shelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond repute

There is a dead animal located somewhere inaccessible in the car. The coolant leak is just coincidence.

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall P1SC@9lbs TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq

>HOT NUDE PICS OF TOWELIE'S MUM<

Old December 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
gtscrewd

2008 GT

faym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud of

any white smoke? wet carpet under dash?

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #4
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

phayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud ofphayze has much to be proud of

No white smoke and I didn't notice any wetness, I'll have to go out and check to be sure later.

3500 lbs w/ driver

BAMA 92 tune | SR short throw shifter | SR CAI | Tein springs | Tokico shocks & struts | BBK offroad x-pipe | Magnaflow catback | FRPP 4.10s
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Regular

03 gt

Jmfasc is on a distinguished road

sounds like a heater core
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Poo tee weet?

2001 Mustang GT

Buddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura about

A rat chewed a hole through your heater core and died, bam both questions answered.
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #7
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

Originally Posted by faym 08 View Post
any white smoke? wet carpet under dash?
Just went out and checked, the carpet is definitely wet. Also, the smell is coming from the a/c vents.

I'm getting kinda worried now...

3500 lbs w/ driver

Old December 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Poo tee weet?

2001 Mustang GT

Buddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura aboutBuddha has a spectacular aura about

All signs point to heater core.
Old December 13th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #9
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

F#^k. No way in hell am I going to pull that thing out myself. Time to drop more $$$

3500 lbs w/ driver

Old December 13th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
gtscrewd

2008 GT

faym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
All signs point to heater core.
bingo those suck make sure before you take it doen its not a cracked hose where it comes thru the firewall just to be sure

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

MustangLouver has a spectacular aura aboutMustangLouver has a spectacular aura aboutMustangLouver has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by phayze View Post
F#^k. No way in hell am I going to pull that thing out myself. Time to drop more $$$
Just do it. Just take your time and pull the dash out. It's definitely worth saving the $$$! The heater core should be but a little over $100, and labor will be $600+. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Carolina Crew #17
Always Clean Crew
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Poo tee weet?

2001 Mustang GT

Just do it man. The labor to have it done will cost you a week or two's pay when you could change it yourself in two days.
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #13
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

I'm terrified of tearing my car apart lol

Is there a write-up on how to do this for new edges? I found one for 96-98 but I'm not sure if it's the same.

3500 lbs w/ driver

Old December 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #14
thechris90

2001 mustang gt

thechris90 is on a distinguished road

just bypass it it, take 5 mins and costs nothing
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #15
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

^ Do tell.

I don't use heat or a/c anyway.

3500 lbs w/ driver

Old December 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Poo tee weet?

2001 Mustang GT

^ Do tell.

I don't use heat or a/c anyway.
The two lines that go into the firewall, input and output. Instead of routing the input to the firewall route it to wherever the output goes. Intake I think.
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #17
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
The two lines that go into the firewall, input and output. Instead of routing the input to the firewall route it to wherever the output goes. Intake I think.
Any pictures that show this? I'm not too good with stuff under the hood.

3500 lbs w/ driver

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #18
thechris90

2001 mustang gt

thechris90 is on a distinguished road

on the pass side of the car under the hood you will see two lines (3/4 i believe) one running from the fire wall to the intake manifold, the other from the fire wall running down, cut the hoses from the firewall and connect them. donezo, ill take pics of mine and post tomarrow. i used a copper elbow to connect mine with some form-a-gasket. have not had any issues for like 10k miles
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #19
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

one is smaller than the other. just bypass it. the connector piece is 4.00
2005 GTO M6. 402ci twin turbo.

Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Anything is better than a V6. Even an LSx
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #20
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

Found this write up from 98, I'm assuming this is pretty much exactly what I'm gonna do?

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Cooling and AC systems: Heater core bypass

3500 lbs w/ driver

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.