Hood Stud Replacement
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Harvester of Sorrow

404-car not found

WickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond repute

Hood Stud Replacement

I went to go replace one of my hood studs that had been snapped off. I grab what's left and twist, and it unscrews right out, and I hear a bit of a thunk inside the hood. I go to re-thread in a new M6x1 stud, and it won't grab anything.

Is there a special retainer for inside the hood? Is there any chance of replacing it?

If I can't get something inside the hood, what's my best course of action? Just epoxy-ing the new stud in place?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Banned

gravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the rough

Also curious about this, since I need to replace one of my hood studs as well.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #3
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

You cannot buy new studs. They are made into the hood.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Harvester of Sorrow

404-car not found

WickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper View Post
Well fuck. Epoxy it is.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Banned

gravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the roughgravik is a jewel in the rough

Fml. Hope I don't have to buy a new hood. One of the nuts is stripped and causes my hood to move around at higher speeds.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

When my cowl didn't come with studs, I thought the ones on the oem hood came out a I snapped them. Went to ford and that is what they told me. I took the snapped part to ace hardware and found some studs that fit perfect(in new hood) I don't remember the specs of the stud though. Sorry.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Harvester of Sorrow

404-car not found

When my cowl didn't come with studs, I thought the ones on the oem hood came out a I snapped them. Went to ford and that is what they told me. I took the snapped part to ace hardware and found some studs that fit perfect(in new hood) I don't remember the specs of the stud though. Sorry.
Well I've got an M6x1.0 stud. How did you fasten yours to the hood?
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #8
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

The cowl had screw holes. I just bought a Stud that screwed into it
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Premium Member

2003 Mustang gt

USN03GT is on a distinguished road

i had to take a piece of 3/16 304 stainless cut it about 5 inches long 3/4 inch wide then measure the distance between the centerline of the holes on the hinge. then mark the piece of stainless drill and tap the two holes. next cut a small slit in the back of the hood inline where the old studs were then insert the piece of stainless with the tapped holes then screw new studs in to the holes then place hood on car and put the nuts on there and put some red locktite on the studs that screw in to the stainless piece of the hood

http://youtu.be/9W7MKjLDJRo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.