99 GT new clutch, vibration in pedal
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Regular

1999 Mustang GT 5spd

KB99GT is on a distinguished road

99 GT new clutch, vibration in pedal

Is this normal? Clutch kit is oem. Flywheel resurfaced. New tob pressure plate pilot bearing yada. But 50mi into break in. Not used to this, even on my old worn clutch. Had it installed by my mechanic because my fuel pump went out and i knew my clutch was shot so, might as well do it all at once. Thanks in advance.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Head Unicorn

2003 Mustang Fauxbra
N/T @ Fast

bulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud of

Not particulartly normal no.

03 Silver Fauxbra; 06 Legend Lime GT, 89 Outlaw 10.5W Coupe, 93 Teal Cobra, 93 Red GT, 93 Teal LX
Unicorn Club Founding Member
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Torchin tires...

2004 Mustang GT

mellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to behold

If you had it done at a shop, id certainly go back and let them know
***HPR!***
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Regular

1999 Mustang GT 5spd

My mechanic said it would smooth out considering the flywheel resurfacing (had some blue spots) and the new clutch.....drives fine, shifts fine, grabs hard once let out (how i like it) but the pedal vibs like a sob....esp in say, 4th at 60mph
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Head Unicorn

2003 Mustang Fauxbra
N/T @ Fast

bulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud ofbulloch27 has much to be proud of

A resurfaced flywheel is true..... there are no more high spots, low spots or blue spots for that matter. The reason you resurface a flywheel is to remove those and make the surface true.

03 Silver Fauxbra; 06 Legend Lime GT, 89 Outlaw 10.5W Coupe, 93 Teal Cobra, 93 Red GT, 93 Teal LX
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Regular

1999 Mustang GT 5spd

It was resurfaced due to the blue spots....but if it isn't over its vib bs by 100mi i'm calling him back. He's a mustang guy and will make it right. Outside of the pedal vib it drives like new. I'd figure if the pedal is vibrating the shifter would too but newp....also a slight whirr in 5th now that i think about it....hmm
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Head Unicorn

2003 Mustang Fauxbra
N/T @ Fast

You lost me in the second half of the first sentence.

Old January 31st, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Torchin tires...

2004 Mustang GT

mellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to beholdmellis is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bulloch27 View Post
You lost me in the second half of the first sentence.
hahaha

"If it doesnt stop vibrating by 100 miles hes calling back"

lost me at "whirr"
***HPR!***
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Regular

1999 Mustang GT 5spd

It was resurfaced due to the blue spots. Plus, new clutch, resurface anyway at a minimum. If it isn't any better after 100 miles i'm calling back. The mechanic is a mustang guy that will make it right. Outside of the vibration in the pedal the car is fine. Drives fine, shifts fine, slips fine, grabs hard upon full clutch throw out, etc. No vibration in the shifter. It does have a slight noise in 5th now though, which sounds like a low tone whistle until i drive a bit.....is that better guys?

Last edited by KB99GT; January 31st, 2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Had a beer or 2, sue me.Bulloch, go GSU!
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Enthusiast

2001 Ford Mustang GT (MT)

grubiaco has a spectacular aura aboutgrubiaco has a spectacular aura about

hmm another guy on the forums had that same problem. He didn't mentioned if he ever got it fixed

Exterior is all done. Now its time she gets force fed.
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:04 AM   #11
Regular

1999 Mustang GT 5spd

Thanks for the reply, Grub. I medically cannot do this work or i would have done it all myself...
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Enthusiast

Here are a couple of ideas. The TOB is rattling off the pressure plate fingers. So you have to adjust the cable to rest the TOB on the pressure plate. Do this by obtaining and firewall adjuster and tightening it up. If not, there is a huge debate on whether or not the TOB should rest on the pressure plate. You can do the LDC mod and spring your clutch fork away from the pressure plate fingers. A lot of SVT forum members do this. I was also searching old threads. Shaun stated his pivot stud came loose. He fixed this my tightening it up and adding loctite. Can be done without dropping the trans but easier with dropping the trans.

Other scenarios would be not balanced but I don't think that is your case.

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Audi A6 3.0 Quattro
Slow

IsaidWOT will become famous soon enoughIsaidWOT will become famous soon enough

Have you done hard launches on this new clutch already?
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KB99GT View Post
Thanks for the reply, Grub. I medically cannot do this work or i would have done it all myself...
Just mentioning things so you can give the mechanic the heads up.

Hope you guys figure out what is going on. Or post if any of things I mentioned fixed your problem.

Old February 1st, 2013, 07:35 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

JayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to all

Originally Posted by grubiaco View Post
Here are a couple of ideas. The TOB is rattling off the pressure plate fingers. So you have to adjust the cable to rest the TOB on the pressure plate. Do this by obtaining and firewall adjuster and tightening it up. If not, there is a huge debate on whether or not the TOB should rest on the pressure plate. You can do the LDC mod and spring your clutch fork away from the pressure plate fingers. A lot of SVT forum members do this. I was also searching old threads. Shaun stated his pivot stud came loose. He fixed this my tightening it up and adding loctite. Can be done without dropping the trans but easier with dropping the trans.

Other scenarios would be not balanced but I don't think that is your case.
I agree it's slack in the cable.

12.25 @ 111 mph w/ CMS stage II cams
10.95 @ 119 mph NX 150 shot
6.96 @ 102 1/8th mile
Best 60', 1.43
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Head Unicorn

2003 Mustang Fauxbra
N/T @ Fast

Based on the under-standable reply, I agree with JayC. Sounds as if you simply have slack in the cable/freeplay between the TOB and pressure plate spring fingers. Adjust clutch properly and the vibration in the pedal should go away.

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #17
Regular

1999 Mustang GT 5spd

To update this, breaking it in starting in 2nd and letting it slip its way to where i'd shift to 2nd fixed it. That and a few "f it i want to enjoy my stang" throttle off fast shifts(dumps) and one auto adjust fixed it.

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 AM ----------

It's the orig quad and cable so yeah, you guys were very likely correct. Slack. Plus it needed break in.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
Long Lost Co-Founder

1988 Mustang GT

BuiltToughCobra will become famous soon enough

Mine had the same problem after I got a new clutch and a few other components... It went away after about a month or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.