Modded Mustang Forums banner

MMR worst customer service

26K views 323 replies 69 participants last post by  1996 GT 
#1 ·
Recently had an injector clog up at 6k RPM's and i blew a piston causing me to do a full engine rebuild. Had heard great things about MMR and decided to give them a call and order the parts for my build from them. Never did i think that the following would happen.

I had made my order for a 5.0L 1000S stroker rotating assembly on a Monday and was told because the pistons needed to be notched that the parts would not be shipped until around Friday. Waited until the following Monday and called to ask for a tracking number and was told that they were just being packaged and would ship out the same day. Later that evening i called to make sure that they had shipped and i was told yes but a tracking number was not made available yet. called later that week on Friday and was told it STILL had not shipped and that it was shipping out within the next half hour.

Finally they had given me a tracking number and the parts were on their way even after i was directly lied to about the status of my order. Figured the worst was over and that i could move on with my build. Wrong.

After receiving my block back from the machine shop along with the balanced rotating assembly i put the bearing caps back onto the block and laid the crank down while trying to spin it. CLANK. The first and last counter weight on the crank were hitting the block. Before making my order i specifically had asked if ANY modification needed to be made to the block in order for it to fit correctly. i was told NO MODIFICATIONS WERE NEEDED. This was after giving my exact year, make, and model to the MMR rep.

Now because of an MMR employee who had straight out lied to me and given me false information to sell me a product, I have an additional $200 to pay to have the block sent back to the machine shop and have the block chopped up to make the crank fit. When i contacted MMR about this, i asked again if it was a direct fit for my car and was told YES. I then asked if that was the case then why am i now spending over $200 to have the block grinded down to make parts that are a "direct fit" work? I was in short that "They cant just give me $200" even when i gladly offered to take pictures of the points of contact. This is the first and last time i will ever buy a product of any kind from MMR again and i'm disappointed that a company who supposedly prides itself in quality parts and customer service would throw me under the bus for one of their employee's mistakes.

TLDR;

-Ordered a 5.0L 1000s stroker rotating assembly from MMR
-Was told it would ship out at end of week
-waited until following Monday and was told it shipped
-called that Friday to get a tracking number and was told it had still not shipped
-was LIED TO by an MMR rep who said it had shipped
-Went to assemble block and crank counterweights are hitting the block preventing it from rotating
-was again LIED TO by an MMR rep saying the parts were a direct fit when they clearly werent
-paying $200 to machine shop to grind down the block to make their parts fit AFTER i was told they would be a 100% direct fit from MMR rep
-called MMR to see if they would man up to their mistake and i was told in short "too bad, sorry" even though it was a mistake on their end.
-MMR rep told me "The crank is a direct fit but may require modification to fit". lmao
-Was called a liar by MMR in the statement they made to the CC company over the pending dispute

If i was told there was a chance i would need to grind the block down when i had asked BEFORE making the order, it would of been my fault which i would have accepted. The way MMR dealt with me was extremely unprofessional and the fact that i have to pay for the lies of an MMR employee is completely unacceptable.

Filed a dispute against them with my CC company. Their statement to the credit card company was this:

MMR is not responsible for outside labor charges to assemble an engine. This product was sold in kit form and 100% matches our description. Because it is a kit, professional assembly is suggested. Unfortunately we have no control over machine shop labor charges or what they "claim" was needed. Our 100% positive ebay feedback is testament to our customer service and accurate descriptions of our product. The customer made a decision to continue rather than returning the part for a refund.
The machine shop werent the people who told me this. i put the crank in to mock it up and turned it over when the counterweights hit the block. It isnt rocket science. In addition to this, i was called a liar.

I'll buy a Chevy before i go back to MMR.

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn man, that really sucks that your getting the run around like this, here lately I hear more and more of these issues and its dissapointing. Either way hopefully you will have a bad ass ride when its all assembled and finished.

#3 ·
I have no experience with MMR, but nothing surprises me with respect to specialty parts or car shops. Unfortunately. this is just the grade of people you are working with. They do not understand the value of customer service and making things right, not until they are HUGE like Summit or Edelbrock. (That is when they hire smart educated business men to run the show.)

I just had a problem with a ceramic coater on Friday. The guy screwed up on my $250 header coating job and then tried to charge me another $50 when he had to fix it (like I was being up sold). When I told him I thought he should cover it and lived local and would likely do business with him in the future, he did not even flinch. He insisted on getting his $50; he finally split the difference, but I will never do business with him again. This guy burned a bridge for $25...

MMR is get bad press to save $200 or not work with you, which makes no sense to me. This is why you need to all of your own work, or as much as you can. Good luck with the charge back.

#4 ·
I'm with Sarge on this, its really disappointing to hear so many bad reviews lately from MMR, all stemming from their customer service and shipping departments it seems. I've fortunately never had any issues with MMR and have very recently ordered a few small things from them and I think SSG has also had great experiences with them. Im sorry to hear this bro, I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will have that baby up and running soon with no more issues.

#5 ·
+1, it still seems so tempting to order from them because of the prices but customers shouldn't be taking a risk to order from ANY company.

#6 ·
Modular Mustang Retards.

They do this **** all the time and have been for years. I wouldn't have then assembly me a sandwich. I have been telling people this on here for a long time. I don't have 1 part of MMR on my car and that will never change. They would do everyone a favor and should either shut the doors tomorrow or sell the company to someone who cares about its customers and is a real car enthusiast.

Heads up too. Once MMR sees this thread they will try to wipe your ass and clean up this mess. IMO stand tough, move on, and place your next order elsewhere.

#8 ·
Exactly, i know most dont post good results but i think i may have seen 1 good review on MMR a long time ago, but many poor reviews. When i decide to forged my bottom end it'll be through DSS or Eagle i guess.

#7 ·
file a complaint with the BBB, i know when time comes for me to get a block i'll be going down to them to make sure they dont lie to my face or get a run around

#17 ·
To MMR? Do you not listen to anybody?

Recently had an injector clog up at 6k RPM's and i blew a piston causing me to do a full engine rebuild. Had heard great things about MMRand decided to give them a call and order the parts for my build from them. Never did i think that the following would happen.
Seriously? Lol where?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
Man, this sucks. I've heard the horror stories of MMR but I was willing to take a chance with one of their full rotating assemblies for my build, but now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions on a MMR replacement? I hear bad things about DSS Racing also.

#10 ·
I think you would be okay if you had a local reputable builder assemble it, most of the nightmares seem to be from poor assembly.

#110 ·
25% re-stock fee and %25 cancellation fee.

Select items can be returned within 7 days for refund, if in unused unopened condition with all original packaging, there is a 25% re-stocking fee, all items will be inspected for damage. NO RETURNS ON USED/INSTALLED ITEMS. NO returns on special/custom orders (transmissions, engines, racing components, rotating assemblies, fuel systems, electrical components.). Order Cancellations whether the item has shipped or not are subject to a 25% cancellation fee-this is to recover employee costs and credit card fees. ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING, SHIPPING IS NON REFUNDABLE. ALL returns require a return authorization number to be written on the package.

#16 ·
I've been looking at

Accufab
Excessive motorsports
Street lethal performance
Bridge racing
Modmax
Local shops...

I just know for a fact to NOT use MMR or DSS

#18 ·
Lol this thread makes me laugh. For me - I prefer local shops.

#20 ·
File a complaint with the FTC.

Their goal is, "Why: Your complaints can help us detect patterns of wrong-doing, and lead to investigations and prosecutions. The FTC enters all complaints it receives into Consumer Sentinel, a secure online database that is used by thousands of civil and criminal law enforcement authorities worldwide. The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints."

If it's as bad as everyone is saying, there's a pattern that needs to be resolved.

Reactions: ShadowTheory
#22 ·
I actually recently placed an order through MMR for my Main cap bolts and side cap bolts so i can assemble my bottom end... they weren't slow by no means to pull out the payment that day... after about a week and a half, I called asking for a tracking number but they put me on hold and then came and told me my order had shipped and it says it should be there the following monday... but they didnt have a tracking number for me.... sooo it made me think they didnt actually send out my hardware until the day I called.. but sure enough my hardware was at my door 3 days later... I know it wasn't nearly as bad as your situation but it kinda turned me off from ordering anything from them again...

#23 ·
MMR is not responsible for outside labor charges to assemble an engine. This product was sold in kit form and 100% matches our description. Because it is a kit, professional assembly is suggested. Unfortunately we have no control over machine shop labor charges or what they "claim" was needed. Our 100% positive ebay feedback is testament to our customer service and accurate descriptions of our product. The customer made a decision to continue rather than returning the part for a refund.
Let's see. The parts didn't fit. You chose to keep them. You want MMR to send you $200 because of the additional machining. I'm just curious. If the parts didn't fit why didn't you send them back?

I helped run a company for over 20 years. I wouldn't have sent you $200. What I would have done is send you a UPS return label and a RMA (return material authorization) number. It would have cost you nothing to send the parts back. When we got the parts back and after they were inspected for damage I would have given you a full refund.

Did they not offer to refund your money if you returned the parts? Did you choose to keep the parts knowing they didn't fit? If they offered to refund your money and you chose to keep the parts then I fail to see how they are responsible for the additional machining costs.

I would have been unhappy with the delayed shipping as well but I have experienced so many inventory problems that I understand how it could happen. Our customer service has looked into the computer and given a shipping date only to find out the inventory wasn't there. We would then tell the customer an expected shipping date based on when we expect inventory to arrive. But there would be a delay in transit and it didn't get there when it was suppose to. I understand how everyone is unhappy with that situation. If the delays are unacceptable then the customer can choose to cancel the order.

But all of that is just back ground. You had a decision to make when you found the parts didn't fit. Send them back or keep them. Your choice, your decision. Just because you're angry doesn't mean you're right.

#24 ·
Within the hour of discovering that the parts didnt fit i called MMR and told them what was wrong. I spoke to Greg and was not offered a refund which according to their policy wouldn't even apply anyway due to the fact it was a custom order. I even offered to send them pictures of where the contact points were and was basically told "too bad, sorry". This all happened before i sent the block back to the machine shop.

I tried to settle this peacefully and resolve the issue privately with them before doing anything else but was left without options. Making an entire thread about a company with negative feedback isn't something i take lightly because its a company's reputation on the line. In this case, they deserved it.

#25 ·
They told the credit card company that you chose not to return the parts for a refund and they told you that you couldn't. Did they happen to tell that to you in an email?

If you wish to fight them do not use the parts. You are not going to get $200 but you might be able to return the parts for a full refund. I had a problem with RPMOutlet. They substituted parts. The people at the credit card company don't know auto parts. I went through 3 layers of disputes until I finally talked to a woman supervisor. She was insisting that RPMOutlet had shipped parts functional for the purpose. I asked her what she would have done if she had ordered a silk dress but they shipped a cotton dress at silk dress prices. It's functional for the purpose but certainly not what you ordered. She finally understood and authorized a full refund.

#28 ·
This is being done via paypal with their CC. here is a piece of what they said in the statement they made to paypal

The customer made a decision to continue rather than returning the part for a refund.

Yet in addition to being told over the phone there was no refund, their policy even states it here:

Order Cancellations/Returns:
NO RETURNS ON INTERNATIONAL or CANADIAN orders. Select items can be returned within 7 days for refund, if in unused unopened condition with all original packaging, there is a 25% re-stocking fee, all items will be inspected for damage. NO RETURNS ON USED/INSTALLED ITEMS. NO returns on special/custom orders (transmissions, engines, racing components, rotating assemblies, fuel systems, electrical components.). Order Cancellations whether the item has shipped or not are subject to a 25% cancellation fee-this is to recover employee costs and credit card fees. ALL CANCELLATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING, SHIPPING IS NON REFUNDABLE. ALL returns require a return authorization number to be written on the package. You may receive your RA# by contacting our return office at info@modularmustangracing.com RA#'s will not be issued by phone, payments will only be refunded in the way they are received. ALL Returns sent without RA# will be refused. NO RETURNS AFTER 7 DAYS-no exceptions. Modular Mustang Racing is not responsible for any installation/labor charges on products which are damaged, defective, or ordered/shipped in error. Items damaged in shipping are NOT the responsibility of MMR and must be taken up with the carrier, MMR is not responsible for delays in shipping. Due dates given for items/ labor, and installs are estimates. Backorders and workload can affect these completion/ship dates and MMR is in no way responsible for late/backordered items/labor. Any items that have been disassembled or modified cannot be returned. MMR is not responsible for any "down time", storage fees, rental cars, shop fees or other fees associated with a defective product or a product shipped in error. Products shipped in error will be replaced with the correct product-refunds will be subject to the normal restocking fee. Layaways left over 1 year without payment are forfeited to recover storage and employee costs. Defective items cannot be returned for a refund, they will be repaired or replaced at MMR's option.

#33 ·
Stay away from DSS imo too...

ModMax, Proline, Accufab are good places to start. I might try Excessive MotorSports for a rotating assembly but not a built motor.

#34 ·
I bought my stroker kit from DSS about 2 years back. I called them up beforehand with questions and they were quite helpful. They did have a sale going on and also did piston notching for no extra cost. Got the parts within a week and my machine shop guy was very happy with the parts.
Maybe I was just lucky. What are the usual problems with DSS?

#35 ·
I just know their GasX pistons or whatever arent great. I have seen a few people through the years say not to go to them...BUT i'd go to them before MMR all day

#36 ·
Weak...I got those pistons. Hope they hold up long enough...especially on nitrous

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.