Lts, shortys, stock manifolds? Ported heads comp stage 2s
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular

liquidhaste is on a distinguished road
Question

Lts, shortys, stock manifolds? Ported heads comp stage 2s

I'm still wanting to add more power to my N/A 2v. I have all the basic bolt-ons, plus ported pi heads, and comp stage 2 cams. Im still running the stock exhaust manifolds with an off road x-pipe and weld in flow masters. Should I make the move over to LTs and a shorty ORX? Or perhaps should I address my weld-in flowmasters first. I actually love my exhaust sound currently, so im only talking adding power. I've read shortys don't add much of nothing, but I've also read LTs aren't much better. Anyone got similar mods and dyno'd before and after LTs? Am I losing much with weld-ins? Is it worth 500$ to replace my catbacks with say magnaflow or slp? What would be the first change I should make in you guys opinion? Here's an exhaust clip for my current setup, don't hate on the cracked bumper paint, the car is getting competition orange and blacked out very soon!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #2
MM's V6 Hater

2006 Mustang Gt
8.0@90

Cabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud ofCabikejumper has much to be proud of

I wouldn't waste the money on manifolds unless you have a sc

Last edited by Cabikejumper; July 20th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Regular

Originally Posted by Cabikejumper View Post
I wouldn't waste the money on manifolds unless you have a sc/turbo.
That's sorta what ive been thinking too, what about my catback?
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #4
Ricers are annoying

2000 Mustang GT Vert

filmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nice

now i don't have my stage II heads/cams installed yet, but this is how my car sounds like with full bolt ons.

JBA Shorties
BBK O/R X-Pipe
SLP LM1's

Build Thread:http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Mustang Cobra

xandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to behold

I personally have never been a believer in LTs or shorties. For the cost and labor, very little return. And if you go turbo, you'll never need them anyway. I say, if youve already got ported heads and cams, save for FI or go with a nitrous setup if you want power. Have you hit a dyno with your mods now that everythings fixed?
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
super serious

00' GT Vert 5spd

phayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant futurephayze has a brilliant future

I've seen people get decent gains from switching to long tubes, but that's after they've gone FI.

You don't need to get a whole catback to change the sound, just get an offset muffler and have them welded in.

Vortech V3 Si 8 psi
Trick Flow 75 mm tb/plenum, BBK o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, FRPP 4.10 gears
MGW short throw, Tein S. Tech springs, MM C/C plates, Tokico Blues shocks/struts, J&M upper/lower control arms, Nitto NT555
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Enthusiast

04 Cobra

DJNASTYNATE will become famous soon enoughDJNASTYNATE will become famous soon enough

I just put full exhaust on my supercharged mustang. Headers, off road h and borla stinger catback. Totalling over 1000 bucks, not including the retune. And I only gained 20hp. It sounds a lot better, But it's kinda pricey and a pita to install

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

04 mustang gt
7.21 @ 98

mrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to beholdmrbigjeep is a splendid one to behold

and at least half of that was probably from the off road h (if you switched from stock h pipe)
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by xandraxal View Post
I personally have never been a believer in LTs or shorties. For the cost and labor, very little return. And if you go turbo, you'll never need them anyway. I say, if youve already got ported heads and cams, save for FI or go with a nitrous setup if you want power. Have you hit a dyno with your mods now that everythings fixed?
No dyno time logged yet. Very soon, I've been working on suspension recently, I still need to do my control arms and weld in my subframe connectors. Then I'll be hitting the dyno, I'll post it as soon as I go. I'm hoping for 300rwhp. I should hit it, like I said only thing I'm missing is headers. I will be going nitrous for sure. I'd love to get a KB, but that will be at least a year or 2 away, so in the mean time I'll go nitrous for the sake of improved ETs . Hoping to be in the high 12s before spray. More likely be low 13s though.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #10
The Beast

00 Mustang GT Vert/88 5.0

SSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond reputeSSG Pate has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a change in tone the mid pipe will definitely give your car a whole new sound. You will not gain any noticeable difference other then in your head from the new sound. If you were on a larger based block then I would say definitely do headers, but on a 281CI motor its not worth it.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
11.50@121.77@ 523RWHP
Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
Turbo build underway
BUILD THREAD http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...has-begun.html
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Regular

Yeah this was never about sound or tone, not sure how this went in that direction. This is about purely power. I'm just wondering if and how much power I'm leaving on the table having welded in flow masters and stock exhaust manifolds. I can do the work myself so the price for LTS and a shorty mid is not really much, bout the same as a full catback , maybe a couple hundred more. Just don't want to waste money if neither will net me much power, with my current setup.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Regular

2007 Mustang GT

Red07GT is on a distinguished road

On my previous 02 GT I had the Typhoon intake manifold and that was the biggest garbage I ever put on it. It hurt my performance because it being metal, it was super susceptible to heat-soak. I ended up buying the stock plastic ones that Ford uses for about a third of the price of that Typhoon. I just gave the Typoon to the dude that ended up buying that car.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #13
-- Logan --

1999 Mustang GT
stock 14.00@101

DGS2vGT has a spectacular aura aboutDGS2vGT has a spectacular aura aboutDGS2vGT has a spectacular aura about

the long tubes will actually help because of your ported heads and cam... but you'll probably only experiance 10hp maybe 15hp between full exhaust. But it will sound way better lol.
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #14

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

save up for a blower, or turbo instead of longtubes.

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Regular

Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
save up for a blower, or turbo instead of longtubes.
I'll just go ahead with nitrous for a while, 500-600 isn't going to get me very close to the KB kit I want, zex blackout kit looks good. Probably start out with 100 shot and see if it responds well then might go to 125 shot. I wish I could get the KB 2.1 now Lol those sc are sweet.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #16

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

If you are already running an off-road pipe then you will not see much gain from headers. Most of the tests I have seen indicate that long-tubes will only get you a couple of horses over shorties. LTs are one of the few mods I regret spending money on. Even supercharged I saw no gains on the dyno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.