Sooo. Honeycomb maf "screen"?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:31 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
More average than ever

2004 Mach 1

SlowbaltSS is a jewel in the roughSlowbaltSS is a jewel in the roughSlowbaltSS is a jewel in the roughSlowbaltSS is a jewel in the rough

Sooo. Honeycomb maf "screen"?

This thing.

Has anyone ever used one? The previous owner of my mach installed a K&N FIPKII. The directions stated to remove the maf screen and leave it out. I was able to fabricate it in as the car ran like crap without it. Like when coming to a stop, the rpms would freak out and bob between like 200 and 800, surly it would die if I didn't have a automatic. The screen fixed this, but I was wondering if there was something better. The honeycomb design is proven to make the airflow more uniform and even if I never feel a difference, I'm all for getting my computer the most accurate readings possible. For $30 that's a small price to pay. Especially since I can see the air being turbulent as hell with this K&N setup.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
This space for rent!

04 Mach

speedballin is a jewel in the roughspeedballin is a jewel in the roughspeedballin is a jewel in the rough

for 30 bucks almost seems worth it just to try it
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
More average than ever

2004 Mach 1

SlowbaltSS is a jewel in the roughSlowbaltSS is a jewel in the roughSlowbaltSS is a jewel in the roughSlowbaltSS is a jewel in the rough

^That's what I'm saying. The only problem is I have no idea where to put it. The way my setup is, I have the filter, then a mounting bracket, then on the side opposite of the filter is the maf housing. There is like no place to put honeycomb thing before the maf where it needs to be. Unless I put it in the maf housing to the point where it will be practically touching the sensor. I'm not sure how effective it will be right there. I'll have to tear into my intake and take a look.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

From what I hear, the honeycomb setup is popular with the LS crowd.
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #4
This space for rent!

04 Mach

speedballin is a jewel in the roughspeedballin is a jewel in the roughspeedballin is a jewel in the rough

Well it looks like it is supposed to mount in intake tube? Like slide in and fit snug? If not double sided tape holds everything lol
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #5
More average than ever

2004 Mach 1

^This is true regarding the tape. Some say it can be welded in. I'll figure something out. And if I by chance get 104938420 RWHP from this I'll be sure to post a write-up on how and where I put it. I'm thinking maybe some gasket maker to give it some grip on the intake "walls", might be a bad idea since some of the maker might break off and get sucked into my intake. It looks like it was more designed for CAIs. I literally have nothing between the filter and the maf other than the mounting bracket that has a hole in it for the airflow. Some bolts go from the maf, through the bracket, and into a metal thing that fits in the opening of the filter. It's going to take all the ghetto-ingenuity I can muster. Busting out the duct tape, double sided scotch tape, and the WD40.
Old July 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #6
This space for rent!

04 Mach

yea man best of luck, take some pics let me know how it goes

to be honest i feel like it will almost do the same thing as a throttle body spacer ( which is kinda nothing) ........butttt...... this is 30 bucks not like 120 lol
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7
MM Fanatic

me2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really nice

yea and while you're at it, install one of these... Tornado Air :: More Power, More Mileage!

/sarcasm
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #8
MM Fanatic

1999 Mustang GT

hardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the roughhardhitter is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to hardhitter

I've used that before on a subaru with good results. You can just shove it in right in front of the maf sensor and it will stay put.

Old July 26th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #9
450/490@11psi

96 Mustang GT

xandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by me2dumb4college View Post
yea and while you're at it, install one of these... Tornado Air :: More Power, More Mileage!

/sarcasm
Lol I had one of those in my old k&n tube hahaha

My Build Thread
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...rbo-build.html
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

jonwrong will become famous soon enoughjonwrong will become famous soon enough

/sarcasm
Haha. I do actually thing a maf screen for straightening air before entering the maf is helpful for driveability. No power added. Lots of stock mafs have these.

Saleen Series II, MHS Stage 1 Heads & Blower Cams, 365whp/385wtq, Chicane I/C, Mosaleen Pulley, Fidanza FW, Alum Driveshaft, BBK Headers, Steeda Exhaust, TruTrac 31 Spline, 3.55s, 315s, MM FLSCs, Rear LCAs, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro, Cobra Brakes.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #11
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much

Blown 03 GT
11.81@123

03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all

/sarcasm
Not quite the same thing. The honeycomb should certainly settle airflow if its turbulent, the Tornado is makin more turbulent air flow...

Nothing says "were dating" like sticking your dick in her.
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #12
This space for rent!

04 Mach

/sarcasm

dudde i bet it gives the same power as a turbo for less it probably even whistles

id rather have the sound of a baseball card in my spokes it added more poewer
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

Nitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to beholdNitmare67 is a splendid one to behold

All maf screens, inserts and misc air flow straighteners should ALWAYS be mounted directly in front of the maf. If you mount it way upstream of the maf it wont do any good at all.

Honestly the whole honeycomb is not something i will run. They are extremely restrictive when compared to a maf screen and are a bandaid for an improperly located maf.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Kielbasa Kai, NEVER DIE!

slowmatic
12.24 @110.09

Shelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't ran a maf screen since i put the blower on, is that bad?

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall P1SC@9lbs TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #15
MM Fanatic

me2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nitmare67 View Post
All maf screens, inserts and misc air flow straighteners should ALWAYS be mounted directly in front of the maf. If you mount it way upstream of the maf it wont do any good at all.

Honestly the whole honeycomb is not something i will run. They are extremely restrictive when compared to a maf screen and are a bandaid for an improperly located maf.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just don't have the MAF on a bend

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Shelbydog! View Post
I haven't ran a maf screen since i put the blower on, is that bad?
i was debating on a catch can...
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Kielbasa Kai, NEVER DIE!

slowmatic
12.24 @110.09

Shelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond reputeShelbydog! has a reputation beyond repute

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I'm only running an air oil separator

4r70w Dirty 3800 Stall P1SC@9lbs TRV25 60# SVT Pump FRPP 4.10s TFS TB+Plenum MAC O/R H Flows 382rwhp 384rwtq
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #17
MM Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shelbydog! View Post
I'm only running an air oil separator
yea, I really need to get one... which one are you using?

sry for thread jack
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #18
Kielbasa Kai, NEVER DIE!

slowmatic
12.24 @110.09

sry for thread jack
Jegs brand. I'm venting to atmosphere now so I guess it doesn't really do its job anymore.

Old July 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT Super'ed

jonwrong will become famous soon enoughjonwrong will become famous soon enough

sry for thread jack
I had a catch can I purchased, and it did not catch anything. I ended up making one with an ebay catch can (like $30). I used this guy's method:

DIY Oil Catch Can - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

The stainless steel mesh can be bought at Home Depot in the house cleaning section (pot scrubbers). My catch can now works very well.

Saleen Series II, MHS Stage 1 Heads & Blower Cams, 365whp/385wtq, Chicane I/C, Mosaleen Pulley, Fidanza FW, Alum Driveshaft, BBK Headers, Steeda Exhaust, TruTrac 31 Spline, 3.55s, 315s, MM FLSCs, Rear LCAs, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro, Cobra Brakes.
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #20
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much

Blown 03 GT
11.81@123

03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all

Need even room after the bend for the airflow to even out too.

Nothing says "were dating" like sticking your dick in her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/308754-sooo-honeycomb-maf-screen.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Halltech MAF Screen C6 | Corvette C6 - C1 Reviews, Performance, Parts for Sale | BoardReader This thread Refback December 9th, 2013 09:12 AM