heater core leak? easy fix or pain!!!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Regular

2000 Mustang Saleen SC281

antzsaleens281 is on a distinguished road

heater core leak? easy fix or pain!!!

Hi all,

Well ive noticed my cars been leaking coolant over my feet as they rest on the pedals. Had a quick inspection and its definately coming from the heat vents facing downwards. Is this common? Its only done 57k my Saleen and is a 00. How much is a new heater core? And how hard is it to replace?
#801 - 2000 Saleen SC281, forged bottom end from Manley, 23cc dished +20 pistons, Saleen series 1 supercharger with 66mm chicane pulley, Mosaleen idler kit, 112" belt. Spec 2+ clutch kit, Mac LT's, UPR Off-Road X pipe, Bassani catback...more to come
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang GT
13.49@103 BLOWIN TIRES

02TrickFlowGT has a spectacular aura about02TrickFlowGT has a spectacular aura about

not too bad just gotta basically pull the dash out (pull it foward)
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

1996 GT Convertible
13.88@100.71 N/A

BAzombie is just really niceBAzombie is just really niceBAzombie is just really niceBAzombie is just really nice

Not to scare you but here's a preview of what you're in for ...

Here's a link for a '96-'98. I wouldn't think '99-'04's would be much different.

Changing Heater Core on 96-98 Mustang

Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I like MM though. It's a mustang forum, and, the only one I know of where I could tell you to fuck off.. or to suck my dick. Or, to tell you you have a small penis or that I fucked your mom last night and it's ok.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
MM Fanatic

me2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really nice

Originally Posted by 02TrickFlowGT View Post
not too bad just gotta basically pull the dash out (pull it foward)
lol... not too bad?

dude i'd classify that as a pain

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

think the book on it is like 8-12 hrs, so expect to pay an arm and leg to have a shop do it
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Regular

Thanks lads, I dont mind attacking this but does look a bit of a bitch. Anyone know how much a heater core is?
#801 - 2000 Saleen SC281, forged bottom end from Manley, 23cc dished +20 pistons, Saleen series 1 supercharger with 66mm chicane pulley, Mosaleen idler kit, 112" belt. Spec 2+ clutch kit, Mac LT's, UPR Off-Road X pipe, Bassani catback...more to come
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Gas.Clutch.Shift.Repeat.

2009 Shelby GT500

GT500Chick is just really niceGT500Chick is just really niceGT500Chick is just really niceGT500Chick is just really nice

Ya, I had 2 foxes the heater cores went out in. Whole effing dash....

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
What sort of hot car/hot babe/beer stork dropped you on our planet. Are you sure you belong here?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

me2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really niceme2dumb4college is just really nice

Originally Posted by antzsaleens281 View Post
Thanks lads, I dont mind attacking this but does look a bit of a bitch. Anyone know how much a heater core is?
heatercore itself isn't that expensive... mayb like 100 bucks or so?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Regular

Pain in the arse or what! Only just got it back on the road aswell. Typical!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Is it a dash out job to bypass it temporarily?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Mustang Cobra

xandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to beholdxandraxal is a splendid one to behold

Heater core is a royal pain bro. I did it once, paid for it the second time, and I'll never do one again! Lol
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

1996 GT Convertible
13.88@100.71 N/A

BAzombie is just really niceBAzombie is just really niceBAzombie is just really niceBAzombie is just really nice

I've had mine bypassed for 4yrs now but it's only a summer car.

Inside the engine bay

Find coolant hose coming from under the intake and remove it from firewall. Then attach it to rear of intake where the other (shorter) heater hose goes.

Simple fix ... just no heat.

I like MM though. It's a mustang forum, and, the only one I know of where I could tell you to fuck off.. or to suck my dick. Or, to tell you you have a small penis or that I fucked your mom last night and it's ok.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM   #11
Regular

Cheers for the info! Will do that asap! Dont make the car run any hotter does it? Ill pull the dash when I do my kenne bell conversion in the winter seeing as the cars going to be off the road anyway.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

1996 GT Convertible
13.88@100.71 N/A

No it won't hurt cooling.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Banned

2001 Mustang SVT Cobra

Cobraracer46 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BAzombie View Post
Here's a link for a '96-'98. I wouldn't think '99-'04's would be much different.

I've pulled the dash on 94-04 cars before and I always take out the dash with the steering column and steering wheel still attached. I don't understand why most people remove the steering column when pulling the dash as its just extra work.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Harvester of Sorrow

404-car not found

WickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond reputeWickedSnake00 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antzsaleens281 View Post
The core is pretty cheap.

Taking the dash is a royal f*cking pain in the dick though. Anyone can do it, but damn is it a pain. I did it over the course of two weekends. The tutorial on here is very helpful, just leave yourself looooots of time.

I just bypassed mine for a couple months with a cheap plastic barbed 90 deg fitting.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang GT
13.49@103 BLOWIN TIRES

02TrickFlowGT has a spectacular aura about02TrickFlowGT has a spectacular aura about

I've had mine bypassed for 4yrs now but it's only a summer car.

Inside the engine bay

Find coolant hose coming from under the intake and remove it from firewall. Then attach it to rear of intake where the other (shorter) heater hose goes.

Simple fix ... just no heat.
Iv had mine bypassed for 2 yrs now and have no intention on doing it nor paying a shop 800$ to do it lol, it does get pretty cold down here in southern Texas during those long 15 or sovwinter days but I just suck it up
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
Regular

2001 mustang gt vert

PALADIN will become famous soon enough

Not to scare you but here's a preview of what you're in for ...

Oh F@#k!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Regular

Haha well I bypassed mine last night so all is good! im swapping my series 1 charger for a kb2.6 unit in winter, so when its off the road ill do the dash removal then lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.