4.6 build up
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Mustang GT

WhiteNoise will become famous soon enoughWhiteNoise will become famous soon enough

4.6 build up

First I wanna say I put this here because theres more people. Plus its the same engine platform just a different body.

In the spring I plan to build up my gt. I'm going to have about $4-5k to work with. I know I need wheels, tires, and brakes. So there's about $2500 gone. So $2500 roughly to work with on the engine. What is the best platform to start with engine wise? I would like to eventually get 350 rwhp safely. 400 if possible in the end. I'm starting with pi intake...stage 2 cams possibly...and I'd like heads if I can swing it. Would this put me roughly at 350 with a good tune? If I can find a buyer for my exhaust setup, I want longtubes. From what I read, this should get me close to 350 safely. I evetually would like to boost it so I want a solid platform. May put in a cobra crank if I pull the engine.
The car has almost 100k miles so I wanna build what usually goes first. Manifolds and engine tick. Steer me in the right direction.

Sent from my unicorn

MAC o/r H, MagnaPack dumps SCT tuner, CAI, short throw shifter, 4-way Bilsteins, H&R SS's, MM CC plates, dash LED conversion

Looking for a pair of front seats
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much

Blown 03 GT
11.81@123

03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all

Why not just put a blower on it now? You will have 350-370whp and its plenty safe. NA cams will be useless with a blower and you will need to replace them. These engines will last just fine if you maintain them.

IMO Id boost it, do suspension and supporting mods then look into a short block and more boost.

Nothing says "were dating" like sticking your dick in her.
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular

2002 Mustang GT

WrenchThrower will become famous soon enough

If you plan on eventually adding boost, then just do it now. Keep in mind the non pi Pistons are different and if you use PI heads you will have more compression. I wouldn't use a NA stage 2 cam on a blower car for your goals.

|4.10's|Stock Cams 4 deg advanced|O/R X pipe|SLP Power Flow CB|93 octane tune|70 tb/plenum|SFI U/D's|FRPP B springs|SubFrame Connectors|Weight Redux|3800 stall coming soon|
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Mustang GT

WhiteNoise will become famous soon enoughWhiteNoise will become famous soon enough

I thought about boosting it now but then I worry about my engine taking a shit on me. I want npi heads to keep the compression low for boost. I could port n polish my current heads i guess. Then upgrade the rods and head bolts. Can I run stage 3 cams without boost or will that really hurt power without the blower?

And I'm not sure I could swing a supercharger kit under $2500. I read that thread on a guy piecing one together cheap but he got lucky. Supercharger+fuel setup+tune

MAC o/r H, MagnaPack dumps SCT tuner, CAI, short throw shifter, 4-way Bilsteins, H&R SS's, MM CC plates, dash LED conversion

Old October 29th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang GT
13.49@103 BLOWIN TIRES

02TrickFlowGT has a spectacular aura about02TrickFlowGT has a spectacular aura about

I paid 1700 for my whole kit, Headunit was just rebuilt by vortech before I bought it too, intercooled, spent 400 on tune, 300 on new MAF (not needed but will be later)and 250 on pump and injectors... it can be done for pretty cheap.
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Mustang GT

how much rwhp you puttin down? And what psi. I can only run ~8 psi safely on stock engine.

Old October 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #7
JustAslow4.6

98 GT Mustang

Jgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise View Post
I thought about boosting it now but then I worry about my engine taking a shit on me. I want npi heads to keep the compression low for boost. I could port n polish my current heads i guess. Then upgrade the rods and head bolts. Can I run stage 3 cams without boost or will that really hurt power without the blower?

And I'm not sure I could swing a supercharger kit under $2500. I read that thread on a guy piecing one together cheap but he got lucky. Supercharger+fuel setup+tune

I would talk to jim about his cams. From what i have seen, most stage 3 cams require pistons to be notched and move the rpm range pretty high. So i would assume you would need to switch out your intake. Any cam SHOULD help performance over the stock but it might feel slugish off the line without the blower if you are looking at a stage 3. Are you planning on pushing over 600 hp?
Laser Red Crew #6

PI Swapped
Topped with OPS1 cams

Mods in Garage
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Blown 03 GT
11.81@123

03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all03_StangGuy is a name known to all

The engine wont take a shit on you long as the tune is good. Dont waste money on NPI heads. When you build the motor you can drop it with better pistons. The head bolts dont need to be replaced. I running OEM FORD botls with 500 hp. As for the rods bolts, the rods themselves will prolly fail before the bolts.

how much rwhp you puttin down? And what psi. I can only run ~8 psi safely on stock engine.
8-10 psi is very safe, many guys here are doing it. With cams some guys are even breaking 400whp on a stock engine. Under 10psi you shouldnt have any problems.

Old October 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Mustang GT

As on now, being in college, I dont plan on breaking 600 soon. I would be comfortablr hitting 400 rwhp. Im competting with all these new cars that make 300-350 stock and getting over 20 mpg.

So people are breaking 400 running 10 psi??

Besides the blower, what supporting mods should I look at to make 400 safely? Rods seem like a good upgrade but I figure if i have to tear the engine apart, why not replace some of the things in there that are going to be weak.

Old October 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 mustang gt
13.8@98mph 1.9 60ft

condor123 is just really nicecondor123 is just really nicecondor123 is just really nicecondor123 is just really nice

I bought my kit for 2k shipped with 5k miles on it, If you know a good dyno tune shop you can run 8psi safe no problem. Eagle has like 95k supercharged and has something like 170k on his stock 2v.

my lack of mods http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-member-51307/
Old October 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
JustAslow4.6

98 GT Mustang

Jgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud ofJgib4 has much to be proud of

For 400 rwhp you don't need stage 3 cams. Stage 1 would work perfectly fine. For budget rods go with termi take out or coyote rods. You can also find Termi pistons for cheap. It will drop your compression a little and be more boost friendly.
Laser Red Crew #6

PI Swapped
Topped with OPS1 cams

Mods in Garage
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #12
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1996 GT

1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of1996 GT has much to be proud of

350 won't happen on NPI heads N/A. For LT's/full exhaust, stage 2 cams, pi swap, bolt ons ect... you'll be just over 300. You'll need some nicely ported PI heads, a larger cam, full exhaust/bolt ons and a GOOD tune to sqeeze 350. BTW 2500$ is a bit low for 350 HP IMO. Unless you buy a lot of used stuff and get really good deals.

In all honestly my PI swap and CMS stage ones with bolt ons and 3.73's were enough for me. Car pulls awesome in third and pretty good in forth.

CMS Stage One cams, PI heads, PI intake, Forged bottom end, 10.5:1, FRPP 3.73's, FRPP C Springs, Tokico HP's.
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Regular

2001 V6 to 347 Stroker

SleepV6CR is on a distinguished road

Boost it now and find a good tuner. thats what I would do
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #14
MM Fanatic

2003 Mustang GT

RedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the roughRedFire Venom is a jewel in the rough

I'm selling my blower if you're interested. Should be pretty easy to be around 400 rwhp. I was at 380 with a 3.33 pulley and no other mods for the most part.

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #15

Blown 03 GT
11.81@123

As on now, being in college, I dont plan on breaking 600 soon. I would be comfortablr hitting 400 rwhp. Im competting with all these new cars that make 300-350 stock and getting over 20 mpg.

So people are breaking 400 running 10 psi??

Besides the blower, what supporting mods should I look at to make 400 safely? Rods seem like a good upgrade but I figure if i have to tear the engine apart, why not replace some of the things in there that are going to be weak.
With cams people break 400hp. You will hear stories of guys makin 400+ and blowing up. I was one of them, but I upped the boost to 14psi on stock cams to make it happen. It seem that with 8-10 psi and cams lows 400s are safe.

Honestly though at that point traction becomes a real issue and you can even use all the power. Your best bet on a budget is to boost it. BONE STOCK you'll make around 350hp. with a upgraded intake for the supercharger and an exhaust you can get closer to 380hp and not have to touch the engine. It will last you a life time like that. From there you can build the car up slowly.

I was planning to sell my blower over the winter but if there is interest sooner I could let it go early.

Old October 30th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

1997 Mustang GT

So intake your not talking a pi intake swap for me.. Your talking like a typhoon intake or something right? And I have straight pipes so there's no exhaust restriction. Headers would help but I'm saving that project for when the manifold cracks or i pull the engine. As for traction, I'm planning on getting 305s in the rear for street. I need some lca's and 31 spline rear for slicks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.