Confused about fuel basket problems
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 14th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Enthusiast

CalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to all

Confused about fuel basket problems

I've got a Focus SVT fuel pump that I'm going to put into my 2002 GT to get the fuel system ready for a KB blower, it will also have a BAP so it should be good for the 400rwhp I'm aiming for.

From what I understand swapping the pumps is easy and I just need to reuse the original fuel basket and hoses.

But I ran across a comment that this SVT pump can "suck the basket dry" when the tank gets lower than 1/4 full, causing a lean problem.

What is it about this pump that makes this a problem, it looks exactly the same so why wasn't this also a problem with the original pump and do I need to do anything to avoid the problem?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

shadows is on a distinguished road

Ehh that's more of a problem with dual pumps or a return setup and using the gt gas tank.
The problem is that the other pumps (cobra, focus svt) pump much more fuel than the stock pump.
It can cause a lean problem when there is little gas in the tank left (1/4 or less) and it shifts during a turn or hard acceleration; starving the pump(s) dry.
You can fix the problem by either using a cobra tank (internal baffle), or keeping the gas above 1/4 full (even 1/2 full to be cautious).
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Enthusiast

CalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to allCalBoy101 is a name known to all

Shadows, thanks for the input. So just to make sure I understand this, is the blurb below the way it is supposed to work in the stock car?

When the tank is low, the basket will fill up above the level of the fuel in the tank (somehow?).

Then on corners or under accel the pump will pump from the basket while the gas in the tank is pushed away from its inlet.

But with a high HP car and a boosted pump the basket might get drained before the gas settles back to the pump inlet and the only fix for this is to keep your tank from getting too low.

I've seen mentions of drilling holes in the basket but I don't see how that would help, it seems like it just would make the situation worse.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Ricers are annoying

2000 Mustang GT Vert

filmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nicefilmman03 is just really nice

drilling a hole in the basket (on the bottom of the basket) will ensure that there will be fuel in the basket. the basket sits lower in the gas tank, so the fuel will naturally go into this dip where the basket sits and will fill up the basket if there is a hole drilled in the bottom of the basket.

once you take the tank out and the basket and hat, you will see what im talking about lol
Build Thread:http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.