My 4.6 liter... should i supercharge?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Regular

'02 GT

Wesf90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Wesf90 Send a message via MSN to Wesf90 Send a message via Yahoo to Wesf90

My 4.6 liter... should i supercharge?

I'm wanting to save up and buy me a 302 ford engine and start from it (tune it up)

but right now im out of a job due to surgery and slow housing market.. and im having to spend my saved money just to live (damn bills)

so needless to say, im pissed... but what should i do?

- just keep saving for the 302?
- or should i just mod up my 4.6l?
- how big can i bore a 4.6 (289cu-in as you know) to?
- should i just spend what money i got on small stuff (hoods, spoilers, CAI, exhaust etc.)?

im retarded for asking all this but im gettin tired of having what everyone else has lol

i just need something to do to it.. id rather have a fast-ass car than a pretty one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

leebunnyz has a spectacular aura aboutleebunnyz has a spectacular aura about

supercharge that mofo

Jesus Christ is #1

"The Founder Of Crews"
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 YUGO GT

WAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of light

Kenney Bell Super charger
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Regular

TT Bullitt

BlckBullitt01 is on a distinguished road

The best route would be either supercharge or turbocharge your 4.6L. If you go with the ford 302 your gonna end up wasting alot of money. I don't know too much about it, but both engines can probably handle about the same amount of HP before your going to have to start going forged internals, etc. So might as well stick with what you have now. Our 4.6's can be stroked & bored to 5.0L also.
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 YUGO GT

WAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of lightWAR-PARTY is a glorious beacon of light

Check out the MMR (modular mustang racing) web site to see how much a 4.6 can make!
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Assistant to the Manager

'14 Focus ST
?????

Smoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Smoothgrandmama Send a message via Yahoo to Smoothgrandmama

Stroke it to a 5.3!

Join The MM Facebook:
Modded Mustangs Facebook

Vote For Modded Mustangs Ride of the Month

Eskimo Brothers To Smooth: Safi, Blitz34, Graystang01, WillTheThrill, Bwal, 101Fng

Originally Posted by Smoothgrandmama View Post
Procrastinators unite!..............Tomorrow.
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #7

THX 138 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to THX 138 Send a message via Yahoo to THX 138

Re: My 4.6 liter... should i supercharge?

Originally Posted by Wesf90
I'm wanting to save up and buy me a 302 ford engine and start from it (tune it up)

but right now im out of a job due to surgery and slow housing market.. and im having to spend my saved money just to live (damn bills)

- should i just spend what money i got on small stuff (hoods, spoilers, CAI, exhaust etc.)?

im retarded for asking all this but im gettin tired of having what everyone else has lol

i just need something to do to it.. id rather have a fast-ass car than a pretty one..
These engines love boost. max bore and stroke I've seen with a 4.6L is 5.1L. It depends what you want. supercharging isn't cheap. Maybe a head swap would be cheaper? I never looked into it too much since my car was supercharged when I got it.

There's soooo many ways to go its mind boggling. 2v 3v 4v 4.6L 5.1L 5.4L 6.0L......
'04 sc281 Saleen Mustang speedster #271
'67 Mustang notchback
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

bossman2kgt is on a distinguished road

s/c it with a good tune
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #9
Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

TyCouey2000GT is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't supercharge or tb it unless your motor can take all the pressure and extra power. I've seen too many stangs blow out stock top and bottom ends from tbs or sps
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #10
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

Re: My 4.6 liter... should i supercharge?

Originally Posted by Wesf90

Spending money for hoods, spoilers, CAI and exhaust will not get you a fast-ass car. If your motor is solid, then save your money for a supercharger. Before you buy anything, come up with a plan on which way you want to go. That way, if you do buy something, it will add to the total package and not be something that you have to take off later. For example, CAI and underdrive pulleys will have to be taken off if you put a supercharger on.

You will also want to discuss your plan with others. I recently read a thread on another forum about a guy who was very disappointed with the performance of his new motor. Evidently he took a 5.3 motor (which likes low rpms), put high rpm heads and mid-range cams. I have heard of others who have made their 4.6s into 5.1s with a stroker kit and have been disappointed. A tuner I was talking to said it is hard to talk customers out of the stroker kit since its only a couple of hundred dollars more than the regular forged crank, rods and pistons.
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Enthusiast

mjkids is on a distinguished road

s/c the car the 4.6 love the r's and you will see the diffence, then just doing simple mods

2000 ford mustang gt convertible
2004 ford lightning truck,,,,,sold
2001 ford mustang/cobra,,,,sold
2008 ford f-350 4x4 truck
1989 ford notch back 5.0
2006 custom build bobber
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #12
Regular

'02 GT

Send a message via AIM to Wesf90 Send a message via MSN to Wesf90 Send a message via Yahoo to Wesf90

So if i keep my 4.6l, and yes, im going to s/c it (im looking at the kenne bell s/c too.. i know an old guy with one.. nice), should i do the boreing/heads first? Or is it just as easy to change out the heads, bore it, change piston, cam etc. WITH it already supercharged?

Please excuse my ignorance. I know how things work, but this stuff is new to me... and thanks for all the awesome replies

[edit]
by the way, my car is automatic because i couldnt find a stick-shift GT where around here that wasnt beat to shit... so should i convert to manual (how much does that run for?) or could i somehow make it shift just as quick as i could manually? the (intentional) slip it does when shifting sucks balls
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #13
Regular

'02 GT

this is from the kenne belle website FAQ

Will the supercharger hurt my engine? We bought our red 1990 Mustang convertible new. It has 110,000 miles on it and 3620 dyno runs on the 100% original engine. The heads have never been off and it's driven daily. Boost does not overstress the rods, crank, block, bearings etc. like rpm does. Engine inertia loads increase with the square of rpm. A 10% increase adds 40% more inertia loading. A 25% increase = 100%! A Kenne Bell supercharger doesn't require higher than stock engine rpm to make more HP and torque. We do it with boost. Remember, a Twin Screw doesn't have to depend on engine rpm to generate boost. The most common engine problems emanate from 1. over revving, 2. detonation (inadequate fuel octane, excessive ignition timing, lack of fuel etc.), 3. running more boost than the kit was designed for and 4. "other" engine changes and modifications such as heads and pistons (too high a compression ratio), injectors (wrong size), mass air meter (wrong calibration), headers (leaks), ignitions (non-compatible), regulators and pumps (excess or insufficient fuel pressure), underhood filters that suck in hot air etc. We could go on and on. We've seen it all.
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #14
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Drgnracin72 is a glorious beacon of lightDrgnracin72 is a glorious beacon of lightDrgnracin72 is a glorious beacon of lightDrgnracin72 is a glorious beacon of lightDrgnracin72 is a glorious beacon of lightDrgnracin72 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Drgnracin72 Send a message via Yahoo to Drgnracin72

well if you run to much power it will break the stock rods or braek a piston. if you keep it within reason and a good tune, you should have no probelm. menaing keep it aorund 400 hp. i say skip on the kb though. centris make for faster cars, or go with a turbo. im just not a fan of the kb

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
One Big Ass Mistake America

SHEEPDOGS
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Regular

'02 GT

^ ill check them out.. but i like s/c better because they sounds awesome
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #16
Enthusiast

mjkids is on a distinguished road

you can get a trans for around 1200 a tr3650 and a clutch for around 300 a king cobra and change the driveshaft

2000 ford mustang gt convertible
2004 ford lightning truck,,,,,sold
2001 ford mustang/cobra,,,,sold
2008 ford f-350 4x4 truck
1989 ford notch back 5.0
2006 custom build bobber
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #17
MM's Orangest

2004 Mach 1 Mustang

Mach Boy has a spectacular aura aboutMach Boy has a spectacular aura about

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea to upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed if he is going to be throwing on a s/c too?

Looking for 03/04 4V ABS Wiring Harness Connector/Incomplete Wiring Harness (with ABS connector)
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT Conv.

Garhfer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Garhfer

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be a good idea to upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed if he is going to be throwing on a s/c too?
It's not necessary, there's 5 speeds that are capable of big power, but I'd rather have a 6 speed...

2004 GT Boosted by Vortech
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

yojoe600 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mach Boy
i was thinking the same thing... just spend a lil more and get the t-56 i think it can handle more power and get better gas milage..( i know i know mustangs are not made for gas milage but it can help)

Cat Club Co-Founder
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #20
Regular

'02 GT

aight cool deal.. ill definetly do that. 6 speed baby.

but i have a question from above:
should i do the boreing/heads first? Or is it just as easy to change out the heads, bore it, change piston, cam etc. WITH the s/c already bolted on?

i want to try and do things in an organized manner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: My 4.6 liter... should i supercharge?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!!!!!! 5 Liter problems....... hot89 5.0 Mustangs 8 August 10th, 2007 02:26 PM
1993 Mustang LX 2.3 liter performance question TC10284 2.3 Mustangs 5 July 6th, 2007 01:08 PM
intake manifold for a 5 liter windsor Ninjlrd32 5.0 Mustangs 1 February 22nd, 2007 08:29 PM
cam in the 89 five liter. 89StangGT 5.0 Mustangs 4 August 22nd, 2006 01:17 AM