romeo heads on windsor block
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Enthusiast

2kGT has a little shameless behaviour in the past

romeo heads on windsor block

Well I would like to once and for all resolve this issue of whether or not for the model years 99-04, the romeo and windsor heads are interchangable. I would like to be rid of the windsor heads due to the spark plug problem, but I have always assumed you cannot put romeo heads on the windsor block. Has anyone ever done this? I have had a hard time finding anything that says you can or cannot, but I did run across this little bit from Patriot for their stage iii heads:

"NOTE: For help identifying your block, Romeo Blocks have 11 bolt valve covers, Windsor Blocks have 13 bolt valve covers. These heads do not fit Windsor Blocks"

This sounds to me like the nail in the coffin, but if anyone knows otherwise, id love to hear it.
FRPP king cobra clutch
FRPP aluminum driveshaft
FRPP 4.10 gear
TA Perfromance girdle
Steeda tri-ax shifter
Moser 31 spline axles
FRPP C Springs
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

MustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MustangMatt96GT

You can use Windsor heads on a Romeo block, and Romeo Heads on a Windsor Block.

You can also get windsor heads spark plug problem fixed.

1996 Mustang GT - Racecar
1995 Mustang GT - Daily Driver
Special Thanks to:
PoorMan Motorsports Full Parts Supply
MIA Motorsports For any Chassis Related Work or Drag Wings

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Enthusiast

Boomer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Boomer Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

The other major difference is the guides, other than the two minor problems they are a direct swap.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Have you guys done this actual swap before? Why would patriot say the heads are block specific?
FRPP king cobra clutch
FRPP aluminum driveshaft
FRPP 4.10 gear
TA Perfromance girdle
Steeda tri-ax shifter
Moser 31 spline axles
FRPP C Springs
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

MustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to behold

Because its Patriot!

And boomer has done the swap many times.

And i will be doing it here in next few months!

Special Thanks to:

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Not trying to doubt you guys, just want to be sure so I dont end up with a pair of heads I cant use. Whats the deal with the windsor head fix? The first time I shot a plug I took the head off and cut in new threads and screwed in a threaded sleeve - I used the kit from summit. Now this same one is leaking by and I figure its a matter of time before it is ruined completely. Ive got another set of windsor heads sitting in the garage I could technically use, but Im just so dam sick of this problem - this will be the third plug Ive shot if this one comes out!
FRPP king cobra clutch
FRPP aluminum driveshaft
FRPP 4.10 gear
TA Perfromance girdle
Steeda tri-ax shifter
Moser 31 spline axles
FRPP C Springs
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2kGT
Have you guys done this actual swap before? Why would patriot say the heads are block specific?
Take what patriot says with a grain of salt, I asked them questions about their heads they were clueless on. They make junk compared to a reputable shop. They bought a ton of blemmed castings from Ford and got what they deserved, their end product showed. I have 2 sets here I am trying to fix, you want to buy one of them ?????? one is less than 3 months old LOL ....... and they say they resolved their problem !!!!!!!!
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2kGT
Not trying to doubt you guys, just want to be sure so I dont end up with a pair of heads I cant use. Whats the deal with the windsor head fix? The first time I shot a plug I took the head off and cut in new threads and screwed in a threaded sleeve - I used the kit from summit. Now this same one is leaking by and I figure its a matter of time before it is ruined completely. Ive got another set of windsor heads sitting in the garage I could technically use, but Im just so dam sick of this problem - this will be the third plug Ive shot if this one comes out!

I use timeserts on most of the heads I do, they work well. I have used helicoils and had luck with them when installed properly. I do every plug hole just to be safe, they need to have 8 threads or you'll be back to square one.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Enthusiast

I think the summit kit works well - Ive got over 10K since the fix, I just wish I had used red thread locker on the sleeve.
FRPP king cobra clutch
FRPP aluminum driveshaft
FRPP 4.10 gear
TA Perfromance girdle
Steeda tri-ax shifter
Moser 31 spline axles
FRPP C Springs
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

Boomer,

If Patriot Performance heads are crap. What would you suggest?
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT
Boomer,

If Patriot Performance heads are crap. What would you suggest?
Steen, Renegade, Modular performance, Livernois, ModularPowerHouse, TEA the list can go on. It mostly depends on what you want to do to them. I even port heads and I have had great success with both heads.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

40thmustanggt will become famous soon enough

so you guys are saying that the windsor heads have this problem and the romeo don't?? i thought all 4.6's and 5.4's had this problem?? how do i know if mine has this problem or not??
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:52 PM   #13
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Windsor motor. I do not have the problem... yet. But, the next mechanic that works on my motor could strip out the threads.

Boomer, thanks for the list. I really hope I don't need it.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM   #14
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by 40thmustanggt
so you guys are saying that the windsor heads have this problem and the romeo don't?? i thought all 4.6's and 5.4's had this problem?? how do i know if mine has this problem or not??
count the number of bolts on ur valve cover. If it is 13 or 14 then u have the possiblity of this problem, and if it has 11 you dont.

Special Thanks to:

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM   #15
MM Fanatic

2000 GT

RyanGT is a jewel in the roughRyanGT is a jewel in the roughRyanGT is a jewel in the rough

When i had it done, only minor modifications were done. Just had to grind something down a bit if i remember right... nothing big though.
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:13 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

40thmustanggt will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT
Originally Posted by 40thmustanggt
count the number of bolts on ur valve cover. If it is 13 or 14 then u have the possiblity of this problem, and if it has 11 you dont.
thanks matt!! i checked your reply this morning at 5am and some how missed read it so i got ready for work an on my way out i checked and counted 11 and i was freaked out all day because i thought 11 was bad lol! anyways now that im awake good and can read right its only 11bolts on the valve covers so im good?? i can change my plugs and not have to worry about the plugs blowing out?? if so alot of worry off my chest
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

Well you always have a small risk, but Romeo heads, which is what you have, are not known for this problem. So as far as im concerned you are safe.

Special Thanks to:

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: romeo heads on windsor block
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
romeo or windsor mystang0673 99 - 04 31 November 25th, 2011 09:34 PM
Difference between windsor and romeo heads suds488 96 - 98 0 October 30th, 2007 05:29 PM
which one to have Romeo or Windsor shamntgmry 99 - 04 75 October 18th, 2007 09:33 AM
romeo or windsor energiesource 99 - 04 1 September 29th, 2007 01:59 PM
romeo vs windsor? mystang0673 99 - 04 0 March 5th, 2007 11:52 AM