Modded Mustang Forums banner

42lb Injector & Fuel Pump Install Problem

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  HMUSN 
#1 ·
Tonight I installed a svt fuel pump, 42lb injectors, and a 42lb MAF and the car doesn't like it at all. This is in preparation for a supercharger. It bogs down a lot when I floor it and shut off while it was idling. Also the odometer and speedometer stopped working for a while but later came on. Does anyone know what's wrong? Does it just need tuning? This is just on the stock vehicle with no supercharger yet. I really need the car to be working so thanks for the help.

#2 ·
yes you need a tune for the injectors and MAF, is the pump a return or returnless. I can't explain the gauges.

#3 ·
you don't need those big injector on a stock car they will work nice with the s/c. thats what i have on my car and they work nice and what do you mean a 42lb maf

#5 ·
I had the same thought process as you when I was preparing to install my P1SC. I waited on the injector and MAF upgrades until the actual blower install because I knew there would be driveability issues. I only wanted to pay the Dyno/Tuner one time. I didn't want to have to keep going back and paying him as I finished each mod. I did install the Focus pump prematurely and drove the car around for a couple of weeks and the car ran great. In fact, I was certain the car felt a little quicker than before. I also installed and mounted my intercooler along with the connectors at each end (taped them closed) prior to the blower install so I could continue to drive the car around. Like you, I was trying to minimize the down time for when I was actually going to go for the blower install. But then...I hit a huge snag when I went to install those BBK valve covers. I thought I would do that in an afternoon and got hung up...learned that this install was harder than the blower install. I ended up going for the complete blower install during the valve cover install. Best laid plans...

#7 ·
i think it does. i was at my buddy last night and is swaping his gt into a cobra and he ran the pump last night and he was talk about running wire for it but he is swaping the whole car so he is changing the wire haress to i will ask them

#9 ·
From personal experience (and I perform all of my own work), the Focus pump is a direct bolt in with no mods required. The Focus pump does come with the basket and sending unit like the Mustang does, but they are different. So you do have to remove the pump from their respective baskets and swap the pump over to the Mustang basket/sender, but it is a direct plug in with no mods

#13 ·
Put the stock maf and injectors in the car until you get the blower installed...

#15 ·
Damn I only drove it up and down the street so I hope I didn't do any damage. It's on a 99 gt and the pump didn't come with a basket so I just changed it into the Mustang basket like the instructions said. Thanks for the help and I'll be changing out the injectors and maf today before starting it. I meant that the MAF is calibrated for 42lb injectors.

#17 ·
Damn I only drove it up and down the street so I hope I didn't do any damage. It's on a 99 gt and the pump didn't come with a basket so I just changed it into the Mustang basket like the instructions said. Thanks for the help and I'll be changing out the injectors and maf today before starting it. I meant that the MAF is calibrated for 42lb injectors.
Just curious, but you cannot buy the pump seperately from Ford. So?

#21 ·
It works fine with the stock basket...

Thats what most people that run the focus pump run...

The focus pump is a direct replacement for the GT...

If you get the basket out ever again take it and drill some holes in the bottom of it...They can suck the stock GT basket dry...Just dont run it under a 1/4 of a tank and you will be fine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.