Clutch Slipping?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

PowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nice

Clutch Slipping?

When people say my clutch is slipping. What does that exactly mean? This is my first car that has been manual. and the people i bought it from said they'd never changed the clutch and my mustang has 60,000 miles on it. soo im thinking im going to need it soon i guess. not really sure. how will i know when to replace my clutch. What are the symtoms that i will notice? Also ill probably upgrade to a performace one but that is still good for everyday driving. But how much will labor cost for a ford dealer to install it for me if i cant or somewhere else, maybe a private owned place that wouldnt be as much or something. im assuming any mechanic can replace a clutch with their eyes closed. so why go to a ford dealer i guess?

Thanks

Tuned by Speed Industry & Carolina Dyno
Procharged and Intercooled
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt
11.79@115.83 (old set up)

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

if you are wot and the engine revs and slowly comes down to where it should be, that is a slipping clutch. these transmissins are not that easy to pull and install on the ground. i can do it with my eyes closed most of the way through it, but i also have had mine out 16 times and only took 2.5hrs fro romoval and installation before headers. it is a lot harder with long tubes, it takes a lot longer now. i suggest a spec stage 1 or 2 depending on how much power you put down.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

03 Mach 1--~--1 of 2513
8.8 1/8 mile time

Black02GT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black02GT Send a message via Yahoo to Black02GT

same issue here, im going with a spec stage 1. but im waitin for it to go out before i buy it. fuck it i have geico roadside and AAA

Originally Posted by HMUSN it's like racing a mach 1 .. not untouchable but still gonna lose plain and simple no matter how you roll the dice.
SaleenWolf720: need horsepower?? no, you just need bald tires, then you'll really feel the power
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #4
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT

PowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nicePowerShiftz02GT is just really nice

yes i was looking at the stage 1 from spec. But i heard you need the High performance cable and a firewall adjuster to go along with it. if i went to a private garage or a ford dealer would they know about those extras you need with it. i want this to be installed correctly. i wish i knew how to do this stuff becuase i dont trust other people haha.

Tuned by Speed Industry & Carolina Dyno
Procharged and Intercooled
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

neverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura aboutneverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura about

You can get a LPR SPEC clutch which would not require a heavy duty cable becase it has 5% lighter pedal than stock. If you get the regular SPEC, I would say get the cable kit from American Muscle. It is not that hard to put on yourself. It comes with the cable, firewall adjuster and double hook quadrant.

Last edited by neverfastenough1; December 1st, 2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

neverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura aboutneverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura about

Also, there are a number of reasons for clutch slippage. Overadjusted cable, worn clutch and leaking seal causing clutch to be wet. More than likely it is a worn clutch. Remember to have your flywheel turned or get a new one.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Enthusiast

1996 mustang gt

gtdan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gtdan

so what is it with mine ? when the engine is cold the first shifts grind and when its warm and rev to 5,200 rpms and power shift it sounds like a ''broooom'' type sound and the gear wont go in till the rpms drop till 4,500.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:10 PM   #8
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

^stock shifter?
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM   #9
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gtdan View Post
so what is it with mine ? when the engine is cold the first shifts grind and when its warm and rev to 5,200 rpms and power shift it sounds like a ''broooom'' type sound and the gear wont go in till the rpms drop till 4,500.
sounds like syncro problems to me.

Old December 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM   #10
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt

Originally Posted by PowerShiftz02GT View Post
yes i was looking at the stage 1 from spec. But i heard you need the High performance cable and a firewall adjuster to go along with it. if i went to a private garage or a ford dealer would they know about those extras you need with it. i want this to be installed correctly. i wish i knew how to do this stuff becuase i dont trust other people haha.
stage 1 and 2 dont require an aftermarket quad., cable, or firewall adjuster. that is a recommended item. if you want one, i have the old one off my car i will sell for a good price.

Old December 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong but I thought Mustangs had self adjusting clutches and that if you hooked your foot under the pedal and lifted it would adjust itself.

How do you know if a clutch is slipping? If you go WOT in a higher gear, 2nd or 3rd, and the rpm go up, but the tires are not spinning and you are not accelerating, then the clutch is slipping. If you pop the clutch in first and the rpm go up but the back tires do not spin then the clutch is slipping.

My experience has been that a slipping clutch is fairly obvious. Mostly clutches are engaged or not engaged. A slipping clutch is one that is fully engaged but acts like the pedal is half the way down.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:15 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

Sounds typical of a worn or out of adjustment clutch. The reason it won't drop into gear until it drops rpm's is because the next higher gear will have lower rpm's for the same speed. It is like what us truckers do. We shift without the clutch and wait for the rpms to drop for it to fall into gear. In other words, sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
I could be wrong but I thought Mustangs had self adjusting clutches and that if you hooked your foot under the pedal and lifted it would adjust itself.

How do you know if a clutch is slipping? If you go WOT in a higher gear, 2nd or 3rd, and the rpm go up, but the tires are not spinning and you are not accelerating, then the clutch is slipping. If you pop the clutch in first and the rpm go up but the back tires do not spin then the clutch is slipping.

My experience has been that a slipping clutch is fairly obvious. Mostly clutches are engaged or not engaged. A slipping clutch is one that is fully engaged but acts like the pedal is half the way down.
Yes, they are self adjusting, and can also be adjusted by hand if the adjnuster isn't working properly.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM   #14
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt

the clutches are self adjusting stock. they can not hold higher pressures of strong aftermarket clutches. the stock clutches are all that great, and it would take a lot to wear out a stock adjuster. i dont think you could do it in the life span of one clutch kit.

Old December 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

Eagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond reputeEagle2000GT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neverfastenough1 View Post
Sounds typical of a worn or out of adjustment clutch. The reason it won't drop into gear until it drops rpm's is because the next higher gear will have lower rpm's for the same speed. It is like what us truckers do. We shift without the clutch and wait for the rpms to drop for it to fall into gear. In other words, sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging.
Yep. But its not the clutch pad causing the problem. The pressure plate isn't disengaging.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM   #16
Enthusiast

1996 mustang gt

gtdan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gtdan

pro 5.0 !!!!!!!!
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

pro 5.0 !!!!!!!!
MGW!!!!!!! = more adjustable shifter position.
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Who is John Galt?

2000 Mustang GT
12.73@111.36

I went back and read this post a little better. Sounds like your syncronizers are either gone or about to go. Powershifting does that you know. Timing is very important. That little grind when you force it in gear is shreading you synchronizers.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

03 Mach 1--~--1 of 2513
8.8 1/8 mile time

Black02GT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black02GT Send a message via Yahoo to Black02GT

Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post

the stock setup is infact self adjusting, but it only adjusts the clutch out not down. ( it adjusts the clutch to the top as it needs to, but will not lower the clutch closer to the floor )

ive tryed it. right now my clutch releases at the top, makes for hard shifting. it disengages at the top when i only push it in one inch. i dont have slipping if i run out first and chirp second but if i burn out in first and try to bark second it slips like hell and gives me a horrible clutch smell. in 2.3,,4th gear i can punch it and it pulls and doesnt slip. now ive tryed using the auto adjuster on my car and it only made it release even further to the top

it states to put your foot under the pedal, pull back slightly until it stops, then you have the car off, put it in first gear and slowly push the pedal to the floor and you should hear a clicking noise indicating that it has been adjusted.

also the spec stage one clutch doesnt require anything aftermarket to go along with it. if you go to their website it tells you the spec one is a ' great stock replacement and fits direct with no mods' and also states how the pedal wont be any harder . basicly its gona hold up better than the stock one but feel if not the same then close to it.

Originally Posted by HMUSN it's like racing a mach 1 .. not untouchable but still gonna lose plain and simple no matter how you roll the dice.
SaleenWolf720: need horsepower?? no, you just need bald tires, then you'll really feel the power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Clutch Slipping?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dyno sheet with a slipping clutch GTsetGO 99 - 04 28 September 17th, 2007 01:25 PM
me with a slipping belt vs 03 cobra sonicblue Videos 9 September 5th, 2007 12:22 PM
transmission slipping/hunting? jasburrito 94-95 0 August 28th, 2007 01:11 AM
clutch slipping? LtHank 99 - 04 2 August 4th, 2007 12:19 PM
clutch slipping?? 40thmustanggt 99 - 04 6 June 20th, 2007 06:12 PM