What can I use to clean my throttle body? Seafoam?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM   #1

bzeboymenz is on a distinguished road

What can I use to clean my throttle body? Seafoam?

I want to clean my throttle body but have not idea of what to use or the best option to get this done right?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

workinprogress is on a distinguished road

seafoam works well, but if you are taking it off to clean thouroughly, i always use stp sythetic throttle body or intake parts cleaner, grime just melts away
Originally Posted by drgnracin72 View Post
yes, its called the violater for a reason
http://www.youtube.com/mrgearhead87
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM   #3

bzeboymenz is on a distinguished road

any pictures showing how to clean?
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

why do you need pics?

it's just a throttle body.

take it off and wipe it clean
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:47 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
why do you need pics?

it's just a throttle body.

take it off and wipe it clean
+1
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM   #6
Bring Waffles And Lasagna

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

BWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond repute

don't take off the throttlebody.. take off the air intake tube and have somebody sit in the drivers seat with the throttle held to the floor and spray the inside with carb cleaner

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

^ you are kidding too right?
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM   #8

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

BWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
^ you are kidding too right?
no, i'm not kidding.. i have cleaned the tb on my mustang and the ranger and the difference was noticeable on both of them

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

i meant the "holding the throttle to the floor" part.

I understand that it bogs the motor but doing that is sure death for the motor bro.

bouncing off red line= no good lol
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM   #10

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

ok maybe i worded it wrong..

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF FIRST

lol

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM   #11
Forever in our hearts travis_afx

2003 SVT Cobra

rk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of light

If you're really worried about it just take it off it's a simple removal. Get some carb cleaner from Autozone, spray it down good, and wipe it clean.

03 Cobra-Slow
02 SS, 00 Z/28-Gone

Rest In Peace Travis Billings
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM   #12

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

you only hold the gas pedal to the floor to open the butterfly valve

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Saleen s/c

RC02GT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RC02GT

Cant you do that by hand behind the plenum?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:11 AM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by RC02GT View Post
Cant you do that by hand behind the plenum?

lol, yes
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #15
Proud American

1996 Mustang GT

MustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to beholdMustangMatt96GT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MustangMatt96GT

bwal isnt smart enough for that! lol

1996 Mustang GT - Racecar
1995 Mustang GT - Daily Driver
Special Thanks to:
PoorMan Motorsports Full Parts Supply
MIA Motorsports For any Chassis Related Work or Drag Wings

25.3 SFI Chassis Build

Never Lift Racecars
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:27 AM   #16

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT View Post
bwal isnt smart enough for that! lol
wrong.. i just thought it would be easier to tell him to have somebody hold the gas pedal to the floor rather than move the throttle linkage with his hand, since most people know where the gas pedal is, but not everybody knows where the throttle linkage is

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM   #17
Regular

2006 Mustang GT

06GT4RAD will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BWAL09 View Post
don't take off the throttlebody.. take off the air intake tube and have somebody sit in the drivers seat with the throttle held to the floor and spray the inside with carb cleaner
And this type of reply is just why i try not to suggest vague things. Because someone will do exactly what he is saying and then blow the engine up and come back here pissed off.

Now for cleaning the TB the best things to do is get Throttle Body Cleaner NOT carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle body and then wipe it down with a rag. You can also soak the rag with the cleaner and wipe either way works. Most MAF sensor type cars will not run well enough to do the old fashion way you would clean a carb by feathering the throttle while spraying carb cleaner down the carb.

Also many TB's have a Teflon type coating on them which is why you need to use a TB Specific Cleaner as they are meant for TB and are safe.

Richard

2006 Mustang GT-Borla Stingers, MGW Billet Interior & Underhood, Eibach Pro Kit w/Tokico D-Specs, Steeda Sway Bars, CHE Suspenson Upgrades, BBR Billet Control Arms, Foose 20" Nitrous, BFG g-Force KDWII
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #18

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD View Post
And this type of reply is just why i try not to suggest vague things. Because someone will do exactly what he is saying and then blow the engine up and come back here pissed off.

Now for cleaning the TB the best things to do is get Throttle Body Cleaner NOT carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle body and then wipe it down with a rag. You can also soak the rag with the cleaner and wipe either way works. Most MAF sensor type cars will not run well enough to do the old fashion way you would clean a carb by feathering the throttle while spraying carb cleaner down the carb.

Also many TB's have a Teflon type coating on them which is why you need to use a TB Specific Cleaner as they are meant for TB and are safe.

Richard
i never said to start the car, so common sense should tell you that the car should be off, especially if i say "hold the gas pedal to the floor"

and btw, my bottle of "carb cleaner" says "for use with throttlebodys too" or something along those lines

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

+1 thats why i specified intake and tb cleaner. also the stp synthetic is amazing, i even used it to clean my heads when they were off, in the exhaust ports, spray once, let it sit for 10 seconds spray again and everything just ran out
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM   #20
N/A 4v Guru

2003 Mach 1

Doc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the rough

If you are gonna remove it, I find that good brake cleaner works the best on it.

Military Crew
U.S. Army Aviation
Apache's Lead The Way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/47613-what-can-i-use-clean-my-throttle-body-seafoam.html
Posted By For Type Date
How do you clean a throttle body on a 2005 colorado? - www.car-limos.com This thread Refback December 16th, 2010 04:29 PM

Threads Similar to: What can I use to clean my throttle body? Seafoam?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new throttle body poof505 V6 Mustangs 15 November 4th, 2007 07:54 PM
Throttle body? Psychojimmy 5.0 Mustangs 13 September 30th, 2007 08:26 PM
New throttle body Raven 96 - 98 10 July 23rd, 2007 10:23 AM
Throttle Body donny82277 Modular Mustangs 3 January 30th, 2007 07:38 PM
Throttle Body BlueStangV04 V6 Mustangs 26 September 20th, 2006 06:11 PM