Choosing the Best Exhaust System for a 2001 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L)
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Regular

2001 Ford Mustang GT

King Justice is on a distinguished road
Red face

Choosing the Best Exhaust System for a 2001 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L)

Hello.

I have a 2001 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L). I have an exhaust system on it, but I am not sure what kind it is.

First of all, I pose this question: is cat-back the only type of exhaust system available / is cat-back the best type for HP gain for the Ford Mustang?

I have a list from two websites of the exhaust systems I have been looking at:
- from AutoAnything
- from American Muscle

From my choices, I see a few big brand names, but which one is the best?

Monza PaceSetter I have had great experience with my old car, but it doesn't seem as good as the other options I have. A lot of people route for Flowmaster, and I am looking at the difference between the American Thunder and the Force II exhaust systems. Borla is also a big brand name in exhaust systems but is very pricey. I see I can even get a dual cat-back exhaust system.

These choices are overwhelming. The Mustang is a much different car than my old one, and it has a lot more performance parts to choose from. I am really focusing on buying and installing the best one, but which is it, and why?

Sound really doesn't matter all that much...it's power, horsepower.

Or maybe I should just run a straight-pipe? :p
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

superbeef1000 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to superbeef1000

American Muscle is a good place to buy from good luck with your choice they have a lot to choose from

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #3
N/A 4v Guru

2003 Mach 1

Doc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the rough

All out power? Go with magnaflow magnapack cat-back, or Borla stingers, or SLP loudmouth. The biggest horsepower gain is not gonna come from the cat back but from the mid pipe. For that, if you don't have to worry about emissions then get a Mac O/R Prochamber. and some MIL eliminators

Military Crew
U.S. Army Aviation
Apache's Lead The Way
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #4

klindz500 is on a distinguished road

even so you could get a catted x pipe.....with the right mufflers and maybe some headers if you want your stang would sound killer...an x pipe takes exhaust gases from one side of the engine and when it crosses over the x provides suction for the other side of the engine and visversa..providing premium flow..also remember any more air you get into your intake will improve exhaust note...whether it be cai or throttle body and plenum or hell ever a charger....hope this helps
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5
KCCO

2004 Mustang GT
12.88 @ 112

GTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud ofGTsetGO has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GTsetGO Send a message via MSN to GTsetGO Send a message via Yahoo to GTsetGO

Complete Exhaust has great prices on magnaflow and flowmaster. you have to call them to get the best deal, but you do what you got to do.

2008 Acura TL-S - 2008 Honda Pilot EX-SE

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I can't believe I missed all the black dick
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #6
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Justice View Post
Hello.First of all, I pose this question: is cat-back the only type of exhaust system available / is cat-back the best type for HP gain for the Ford Mustang?

there are 3 pieces to an exhaust system.

your headers ( you have the choice of short or long tube)

your mid pipe ( also known as H pipe, x pipe, or prochamber)

and your cat back.
there are many different brands of them.

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

KingChronic will become famous soon enoughKingChronic will become famous soon enough

there are the 3 exhaust components. the high power gainer, ad simpleist to install is going to be the cat back system.

also, magnaflow typically makes more power than other system out there, not too much more, but does ussually make the most.

[QUOTE=Drgnracin72;1870015]please do this country a favor and go play tag football with an oncoming car[/QUOTE]
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 SVT Cobra

Blk01ponyGT is on a distinguished road

to get the most power out of your exhaust you will want longtube headers, an o/r midpipe, and catbacks are mostly for the sound and to finish out the flow. so figure out which one sounds best to you by looking at YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. clips of different ones

04 Cobra - STOCK for now
Old December 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #9
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

KingChronic will become famous soon enoughKingChronic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blk01ponyGT View Post
to get the most power out of your exhaust you will want longtube headers, an o/r midpipe, and catbacks are mostly for the sound and to finish out the flow. so figure out which one sounds best to you by looking at YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. clips of different ones
you are very wrong, stock cat back systems are VERY restrictive, tey definently gain the most power, followed by a O/R midpipe, which not only flows better than the stock H with 2 cats and 2 resonators, but it also weighs alot less. headers are the last on the list though. no to mention most people cant install them like most can a midpipe, or catback. and cost to install headers is about $500-900.

[QUOTE=Drgnracin72;1870015]please do this country a favor and go play tag football with an oncoming car[/QUOTE]
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Regular

2001 Ford Mustang GT

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't a dual cat-back exhaust system be the best choice, since it would give more air-flow correct?
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't a dual cat-back exhaust system be the best choice, since it would give more air-flow correct?
thats how they come.

Old December 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #12
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.334 @ 106.27 w/2.01 60'

mustangmanic will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mustangmanic

Originally Posted by KingChronic View Post
you are very wrong, stock cat back systems are VERY restrictive, tey definently gain the most power, followed by a O/R midpipe, which not only flows better than the stock H with 2 cats and 2 resonators, but it also weighs alot less. headers are the last on the list though. no to mention most people cant install them like most can a midpipe, or catback. and cost to install headers is about $500-900.
FYI, companies BS you on the hp gain that their catbacks give you. You're not gonna get more than 5hp from just an aftermarket catback over the stock... like stated above, ITS THE MIDPIPE that makes or breaks exhaust.

b/t an X, H, and Prochamber you'll most likely see gains upwards of 8+hp maybe even 12, depends on how the midpipe is constructed

X= more flow than H, but you dont gain much low end TQ, you'll all gain it back again in the high rpms, X's flow the best.
*Raspy in tone, Nascar like sound

H= Great flow, but not as good as x. Provides more backpressure than x, so you'll have more low end TQ, but you wont gain too much HP off it it.
*Deep, classic musclecar tone.

Prochamber= Best of both worlds, has both qualities of X and H
*sounds deep like a H
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #13
Regular

2001 Ford Mustang GT

I always thought that performance exhaust systems contained the midpipe, but I guess I am wrong? Where can I find individual midpipes at?

And can someone please explain to me the difference between a straight pipe and a midpipe? I always thought that the straightpipe was just an exhaust system with no muffler, but maybe I am wrong...maybe there is an HP gain or something with just straight pipe?
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #14
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.334 @ 106.27 w/2.01 60'

mustangmanic will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mustangmanic

You can find midpipes at literally any performance automotive website.
I'd suggest americanmuscle.com or just ebay.

A straight pipe is when you have a straight through muffler (no chambers) popular brands of straight mufflers (glasspacks) include: Borla Stingers, MAC Boomtubes, SLP LM1, and Magnaflow Magnapacks.

A straight pipe when referring to trucks/other big ass engines is pretty much just a straight pipe w/ no cats or mufflers.

I wouldnt suggest the truck method on stangs... JMO
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

40thmustanggt will become famous soon enough

I always thought that performance exhaust systems contained the midpipe, but I guess I am wrong? Where can I find individual midpipes at?

And can someone please explain to me the difference between a straight pipe and a midpipe? I always thought that the straightpipe was just an exhaust system with no muffler, but maybe I am wrong...maybe there is an HP gain or something with just straight pipe?
no theres not and your right thats what straight pipes are..
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

40thmustanggt will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mustangmanic View Post
You can find midpipes at literally any performance automotive website.
I'd suggest americanmuscle.com or just ebay.

A straight pipe is when you have a straight through muffler (no chambers) popular brands of straight mufflers (glasspacks) include: Borla Stingers, MAC Boomtubes, SLP LM1, and Magnaflow Magnapacks.

A straight pipe when referring to trucks/other big ass engines is pretty much just a straight pipe w/ no cats or mufflers.

I wouldnt suggest the truck method on stangs... JMO
change that he's right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Choosing the Best Exhaust System for a 2001 Ford Mustang GT (4.6L)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Cold Air Intake for 2001 Ford Mustang GT? King Justice 99 - 04 35 December 29th, 2007 10:37 PM
Borla Ford Mustang Exhaust System, Borla 11752 $558 Shipped candycane184 V6 Mustangs 16 December 12th, 2007 12:27 PM
What's the best exhaust system for my 02 Mustang GT Convt? OhhShorty Modular Mustangs 8 June 11th, 2007 10:06 AM
Ford lightning f-150 engine in a 2001 v6 mustang? Blade8688 V6 Mustangs 14 May 5th, 2007 03:53 PM
loud exhaust system for my 35th aniv. mustang loupipesrock V6 Mustangs 18 July 18th, 2006 02:57 PM