Modded Mustang Forums banner

Performing a swap 3.8L to 4.6L

12K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  HalNutt 
#1 ·
Ok I know this has been talked about a lot and I am about ready to begin my swap once a few new parts arrive.

Here is what I have.
2000 new edge 3.8l manual
Donor car 97 sn95 4.6l gt manual.

From the research I have done I am swapping the following.
Engine complete with all accessories
Cooling system and fan
T45 manual
Headers and exhaust
Brake booster and brake system
Rear end/drive line
Suspension
ECU
Gauge cluster
Wire harness (engine)
Fuel lines and fuel tank
Seats leather
Pats resistor to be glued in place on sensor to eliminate pats keys

While the 4.6 is out it will get a full gasket kit and stage 3 clutch. New flow master single chambers will be installed when the exhaust goes back in.

I will be doing a full write up on this swap as I go. If any one can think of anything I am forgetting let me know.

The 3.8l is seized and I got a killer deal on the complete donor car. I will be painting the new edge a dark gun metal and shaving all the badges After the swap is complete. I will swap the windshield as well since the new edge has a decent chip and crack in in it.

Please don't post should have just bought a gt on this thread. Also I don't live in an emissions state and do not have to worry about those legalities here.

See less See more
#8 ·
So here is where I am at on this build.
Engine trans and driveline out.

Radiator and ac system pulled out.

Removed brake power booster and clutch cable. Side note. Pull the steering rod after you pull the drivers seat to get the pedals out.

Cleaned up the engine bay and moving on to pulling the fenders and engine harnesses and making sure it's ready for paint. Going to tuck as many wires and cables behind the inner fenders to help clean up a little.

Tomorrow I begin the paint process and then move onto the motor pull from the other car. I will pull as many part from donor car as I can to ensure all plugs and everything matches up. I have to pull the v6 antilock brake system and change it out for the v8 system as well.

The v6 has a single fuel line with no return line. I was wondering if anyone has converted the 4.6 over to a returnless system?

#10 ·
the 96 to 98 cars had the NPI top end, and were only rated at 210hp. do yourself a favor and go get a PI top end (99-04 mustang GT, 02+crown vic). the PI heads and intake flow a lot better, and the cams are better as well. a PI top end combined with your NPI pistons will get you around 10.5:1 compression and even more power than a stock 99-04 car.

#11 ·
Pulling the car in for paint and body tomorrow. Going with a dark shadow grey gunmetal. Doing all the jams engine bay and trunk areas. Will post pics soon!!

#13 ·
Not doing the PI swap yet. I am interested in the idea of the swap but just not in the budget right now. That may be a plan for after my next deployment to Afghanistan. I am looking at leaving again after summer.

#15 ·
PI swap is now on the table after I got my travel voucher from a recent trip. Going to search craigslist for a set of heads and intake for it. Just finished up all the engine bay prep and have the heavy undercoating sprayed in for noise reduction. I am beginning to pull the engine and everything out of the donor car. Going to get all the parts in place to accept the swap this week.

#16 ·
It would be easier to get 99-04 fuel rails and FPDM than convert the car to returnless if you plan on using a 99-04 ecu and harness. I strongly recommend the PI swap also. People basically give away stock PI heads. You can go to a Pick N Pull, find a Crown Victoria or Ford 4.6/5.4 truck, and get a pair of PI heads w/ cams for $150 and the intake manifold for another $45. With a top end gasket set and the oddball parts, you'll end up at about the $250 Bigs quoted. 50+ hp for $250 is some of the cheapest power you'll ever come by.

#17 ·
Without having to purchase a full 99+ wiring harness fuel rails and fdpm I have to replace the fuel system and full body harness from the 97 over to the 00 body. Under dash and everything must be transferred over in order for this swap to work on my budget. I am looking into the PI swap and am not having any luck up here in Washington to get the heads intake fuel rails and wire harness from a 99+ mustang gt. I may have to make a trip to Oregon for the parts I need. I am looking around and have a friend doing some searching for me as well.

#18 ·
Ok call me a dumbas but I gotta ask. What the hell is a PI? I'm just a certified rip and replace backyard and backassward kinda guy. Also I too am doin a 04-04 v6-v8 GT-convertible swap and researching the complexities as I have the two complete cars up on jackstands in my 2 car garage. I'm told all my parts are there I just have to do it (rip&replace) so what is PI? Should I be looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
PI stand for power improved. With the newedge came new improved heads and intake that made more power tha 96-98. But if you pi swap a non pi motor, you will raise compression due to smaller piston dishes and make even more power than a standard pi motor

#20 ·
So basically no I don't have to seeing that I have the newer 4.6? I was thinking performance intake or along those lines. Performance ignition etc. I'm not that well off to do a build but definitely have the resources to swap out the drivetrain from my wrecked Gt into a donor convertible of the same year. I'm researching and asking for advice as I go so please do feel free to put your two cents in it might just become the dollar I need. In which case yeah that truthfully saved me a few bucks spending on something unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.