Modded Mustang Forums banner

my 1st build

16K views 319 replies 22 participants last post by  evil02gt 
#1 ·
Getting ready to tear into my car and just thought I would start a build thread. So here goes. The car is a 02 gt I am swapping the engine for a forged 03 short block with mph 2.5 heads and mph blower cams. For a power adder I have a vortech v2 s-trim with a Paxton air to air intercooler and turbo xs bov. I will be using a vmp slot style maf and replacing the intake with a TFS track heat. For fuel I am using a kurgans pump,60lb imjectors, aeromotive rails with a frps. For my suspension I am using a Grigg's torque arm and panhard bar along with MM flsfc,MM lca's & frpp 4:10 gears I am also installing a TA girdle cover. I am adding bilstein Shocks and struts to help with handling and cobra calipers and rotors for extra stopping power. For gauges I have aeroforce dual gauge and innovate lc1 with a x16 gauge along with a autometer lunar boost gauge to match my cluster. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

#3 ·
Finally started tearing into the car today. I decided to go ahead and install my supercharger, fmic,intake and other supporting mods. Then in a couple of months I get to do it all over again when I install my new engine. First thing I ran into is that I am missing a couple of idler pulleys that replace the factory ones that mount on the timing cover. When I looked at my instructions I only see 1 idler listed as being included part# 4fh016-150. Next thing I trying to figure out is what idler mounts to the vortech supplied idler bracket that mounts onto the supercharger mounting bracket? Right now I am wishing I had bought a new kit instead of used. Finally how can I tell if I have the correct t mounting bracket for a 02 GT. The part number on the passengers side is 4FH011-020 and on the drivers side 4FH011-041. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

#4 ·
One of the pics is of the new mounting hardware kit. Does it look like everything is there?

Attachments

#5 ·
everything looks good so far, Make sure you clock the Supercharger before getting it permanently bolted down. With a Blow thru your output will be pointing down towards the ground instead of towards the fender.

#6 ·
Thanks SSGPate. I didn't realize that. How many bolts actually hold the mounting bracket to the engine? I have worked on cars all my life but I will admit this is a pain in the butt and slightly confusing. I still need to find what idler pulleys I need to buy. Does anybody know what the differences are in the 99-04 mounting brackets?

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Well it looks like I have a 99 mounting bracket according to the part number. Can I make this work on my 02?

#7 ·
Only way to make it work is to swap timing covers. I have a 01-04 vortech bracket just laying around. I have no need for it if u want it you can have it for shipping cost. Then just buy all your mounting hardware new from vortech or superchargers online. It can get pretty confusing ever with instructions. My procharger bracket was a pita. Before I had a Paxton and it is by far a better designed bracket than the procharger. Belt changes were a breeze. Didn't have to remove the headunit like you do with a prochatger or fight with a pipe wrench like you do on a vortech.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Also when I clocked mine I didn't tighten the bolts bsck down till I had all my ic piping where I wanted them to be. This way seemed easier than the first go around with the paxton. You may not be able to do it with a vortech. I dont have any experiance with them but I was able to with my procharger.

#10 ·
Does anyone know what idler pulleys are supposed to come with the vortech? I ordered a 6 rib 3" v flange that it called for in the parts list but the instructions says to remove 2 pulleys from the timing cover and replace them with the supplied pulleys. Anybody know which ones they are?

#12 ·
I can't remember what pulley size they are so the best thing to do is call Vortech direct they will tell you exactly what you need just make sure you have your list in front of you and get it all at once.

#11 ·
Well I started pulling my intake and realized I didn't have the spring release tool for my fuel rails. So I split the cap from a propane bottle and wrapped it around the release on the rails and pushed and it slipped right off. Just saved $7 since I didn't have to buy a tool.

#14 ·
Thanks everybody. I am hoping to get around 400rwhp with this setup and then hit the bigger numbers with the new engine.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Quick question. Should I do the egr delete while I am in here? The intake already has a block off plate on it and I have everything removed except the egr valve and pipe coming out of it.

#16 ·
How hard is it to remove the pipe that the egr is hooked to? I am also running into a issue installing the track heat I take. The line that runs under the intake from the water pump is hitting on the back of the intake. I took the bolt loose from the bracket on the back of the engine to see if I could get some slack and no luck. Anybody ever dealt with that?

#17 ·
I don't think I've ever had luck with a car over 10yrs old trying to disconnect the EGR pipe. The boss on the manifold is almost always rusted solid, no matter how much penetrating oil or torch you use.

As for the water return pipe in the valley- do you know where it's hitting? You can gain some clearance from bending, but if it's hitting in the center the 03 Cobra one has some additional clearance due to it being offset.

#18 ·
I am going to try and get the pipe loose. If I can't I will have to cut it and cap it off somehow.
I also found out that trickflow makes a kit that replaces the line that runs under the intake. I found the install instructions and it answered a lot of questions.

#20 ·
That line connects to the back of your water pump and feed coolant to the heater core.

#21 ·
Thanks. Trick flow says it can be replaced with a soft line so getting ready to do that. I am working on the egr tube. Pretty sure I can't remove it from the manifold. Can I just cut it and cap it?

#24 ·
Getting ready to tear into the egr pipe. The damn thing is hard to see under the car.

#25 ·
Just spray some PB on it tonight and come back to it tomorrow which will give that Catalyst some time to work.

#26 ·
I sprayed it and let it sit for about an hour. It was a pita but it came off. It looks like it had been off before because the last 3 or 4 threads on the manifold nipple were stripped. The stripped threads wouldn't allow the cap I bought to thread on. So I cut the egr pipe into and took the piece from it that I had just unscrewed and welded a bolt head to it to make it solid and screwed onto the manifold nipple. At least that part is finished.

#27 ·
I received another vortech bracket today. They have the same part number but do have some differences. Here are a couple of pics. The first bracket has 2 part numbers 4FH011-041and 4FH011-020. I was told it was for a 02 but when I look it up it says it is for a 99. The second bracket has the same part number 4FH011-020. Can anyone look at the pics and tell if one of them is for a 02.

Attachments

#28 ·
While waiting on some parts I am going to go ahead and start on the fuel system. This setup should make around 400rwhp. I have a set of aeromotive fuel rails,FRPS adapter,lethal performance fuel line upgrade fit and 60lb injectors. Will a 320lph pump be enough? I have a BAP but would rather not use it. What else do I need? I also have to get all the fittings to hook up my rails.

#29 ·
Well the parts for my fuel system are on the way. I received my new bracket just waiting on 2 pulleys to install the supercharger. I also have a mishimoto radiator and fan setup coming. I have finished my intake,wire tuck and installed my 03-04 cobra struts. Here's how it looks so far

Attachments

#30 ·
Looking good man, those fuel rails will support more then than out motors will ever make.

#32 ·
Thanks. I am trying to take my time and do everything to the best of my ability. It is definitely a learning process.

#31 ·
A few things showed up today.finally got my idlers and radiator setup. But on the bad side I have to get a new tb plug. I was going to extend my wires to run it a little different and broge the wires close to the plug. When I tried to unpin the plug things just got worse. So now I have to find a new plug. Hopefully I can find one that has a decent length of wire attached to it.

Attachments

#34 ·
Even using a Aeromotive 340lph pump?

#36 ·
Where did you mount your BAP?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.