Modded Mustang Forums banner

Transmission issues (T-45)

963 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Froush 
#1 ·
On cold, fresh start of the day, the transmission shifts like butter in all gears. After warming up, its next to impossible to get it into first and reverse and other gears aren't very easy to drop in. Replaced the cable and still no fix. TOB is making noise, would that cause my symptoms or is something else causing this?

I hope it's not a TOB retainer sleeve, I know you have to remove the bellhousing to replace them. Thanks for all your help gents!

Also, if it is the TOB, should I replace it with a McLeod Racing TOB or Ford Racing TOB? Which is better?

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

See edit.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

26 views, no reply... Hmm...

See less See more
#10 ·
Only a couple things cause your problem... Clutch not fully releasing because the cable isnt tight enough or because the pilot bearing is seizing up and not letting the input shaft spin free of the crankshaft (which is what a clutch is for).

One thing is certain YOU WILL WEAR OUT THE SYNCHROS (blocker rings to be specific) VERY QUICKLY if you drive it this way. The clutch must disengage or it will cause the synchros to work quadruple time trying to synchronize the transmission on shifting. Pull the trans out NOW and fix the clutch. I'm sure whatever is wrong will be obvious once the trans is out.

#11 ·
Its the TOB. I had the SAME exact problem with my car. Basically you had to wait about 15 seconds before you'd be able to put it in gear. My TOB was actually cocked so it didn't release all the fingers at the same time but on an angle. I had to drive around leaving it in first and holding the clutch at red lights for a good year like this until I finally swapped out the TOB and it solved my issue. I'd do the clutch while your at it, as I had to replace the clutch a year after I did the TOB because it was a shitty SPEC clutch that I had to deal with for 2 years before hand and had to almost use both feet to push the pedal down lol.

#12 ·
I used to be able to put my arm through the inspection cover on my T45 and force grease into the TB with my fingers lol. It wasnt easy but with the clutch cable disconnected an the fork slid back I could get my hand far enough in and easily inspect the TOB.... My T56 magnum is another story though. Tiny bell housing.

#14 ·
My car has been doing that for several years now. Mine does not roll forward with the clutch depressed on a slight grade it will even roll backwards. I replaced the fluid, the cable, had a quadrant and firewall adjuster installed all to no avail. It still does it. I hadn't heard about the throw out bearing before. Mine makes no noise at all.

#15 ·
Hmm. Kindve sounds like what was going on with mine. Starting it and driving when cold was fine. When it warmed up I couldn't get it into any gear though. I just dropped my Trans and the disc was glazed over pretty good and had dime size chunks missing. It was just a shitty king cobra clutch though. Honestly surprised it lasted that long. I suggest pulling it and inspecting before buying anything expensive. Yours could just be a tob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.