Modded Mustang Forums banner

Convertible lowering springs?

10K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  ChiliKraut 
#1 ·
I have an 02 vert and I'm trying to figure out which springs would be best ? Its already been dropped an inch from whoever had it before me, but the wheel - fender gap is still to much for my liking , anyone have any recommendations on some affordable springs that would maybe give a 2 inch drop or so? Thank you

#2 ·
I used the BBK lowering springs back in the day and they actually rode very well coupled with new POLY isolaters. dropped it pretty low though so keep that in mind.

#5 ·
I'm on Vogtland 1.6" vert springs & Tokico HP's , no front iso's , lowered 1.75" front and 1.5" rear . The car had a nice ride with 17" oem Cobra's but not so much with these heavy ass 18" reps .

#8 ·
That looks really good, and that's what I have on my car right now is the 17 in oem cobra wheels, without having the isolaters in does it cause alot of squeaking noise at all? I really need to get one of those styling bars to, they add such a great look when the top is down

#9 ·
Running without the Isos will cause noise. You can mitigate it by wrapping the top coil with tape, but every once in a while your going to get a sqeek pop or rattle from the spring moving around on the perch. I dont drive my car every day so I dont give a damn. LOL

As far as the styling bar, I would get a 4pt roll bar. for only a few hundred more dollars you can get something that will save your life and not just look good. Just my .02.

#10 · (Edited)
I don't get any suspension noise without the front isos's but the car is noticeably more rigid with welded flsfc's and bolted-in b-pillar styling bar allowing the stiffer suspension to work thru some of it's travel without the body flexing first . Oem 17" Cobra's are a great wheel but the 18's fill the wheel well a little better . The ride degrades a little bit because replica wheels are very heavy plus with 18's you go to a 35 profile sidewall . I wanted to do a speedster tonneau but wasn't sure if it would fit with a 4-point bar .

#26 ·
You could do what I did, and remove the top isos but leave the bottoms in. The upper isos account for a 1/4"-3/8" difference in ride height, while the lowers (especially if they're worn) account for roughly 1/16"-1/8"

I only hear noise from the rear springs when hitting rough sections of road at low speeds. My car is a coupe, but it has H&R SS's in the rear. The slight noise from removing the upper isos was worth it to get the stance I wanted.

#30 ·
Here is mine with the H&R Super Sports with both iso's in. Tire size is 255/35/18 up front and 275/35/18 in the rear. It could be a tad lower but with the shitty roads here, it is perfect imo.

Reactions: macuser27
#31 ·
I had the eibach pro kit on my 03 vert and loved them. Good combo of look and ride and I had 20's on mine. I don't think you will be disappointed in them. I didn't upgrade the shocks or struts either on that particular car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.