Modded Mustang Forums banner

Transmission question from a newb learning about mustangs!

716 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  01Bullitt82 
#1 ·
Full disclosure: I DON'T own a mustang...yet. That's why this thread exists. :grin2:

That out of the way, I'm looking to buy a new edge to supercharge and bolt-on modify, and one thing that's come up is transmissions. I combed page 1 of google to find answers to this question, but to little avail. so:

T45 or TR3650?

What are the key differences, which one can handle more power and torque, costs and reliability of both, and anything else that might be of any sort of importance?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

#2 ·
The T-3650 is newer and is rated to handle more torque but I've been running 383 rwhp through my T-45 for around 110,000 miles. Neither one is built to stand up to power shifting at the drag strip but they do surprising well.

The biggest difference is the over-drive gear ratio. Over-drive is any gear higher than 1.00:1. The first four gears have the same gear ratios. A T-45 has a .67:1 fifth gear. A 2001 T-3650 has a .68:1 fifth. And a 2002-2004 T-3650 has a .62:1 fifth. The higher fifth gear in the 02-04 T-3650 allows it to get better highway gas mileage.

Note: If you do not understand gear ratios the bigger the number the lower the gear. For example 4.10 gears are lower than 3.27s.

Why? Because the gear ratio is based on input and higher or lower is based on output. With 4.10 gears the driveshaft turns 4.1 times for every turn of the wheel. With 3.27s it turns 3.27 times for every turn of the wheel. But the inverse is true for the wheel. With 4.10 gears the wheel turns only one-quarter (0.24) of a turn for every driveshaft turn. With 3.27 gears the wheel turns about one-third (0.31). For a given input the car covers more distance and is faster with 3.27s. That is why its a higher gear.

#4 ·
Gears are bigger and stronger in the 3650. But the tradeoff is that the bigger gears are harder on blocker rings,and wont shift as good as the t45. Both trans have crap shift forks. But i make billet ones for both!:)

#10 ·
Yeah I agree but I don't feel like dropping my trans on the garage floor again lmao. Don't worry, the way I drive it I'll probably break another one this summer lmao.

Not to thread jack, but hows the difficulty of installation? I've rebuilt a t45 before, but it was years ago I totally forget how to pull the forks off the rail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.