Code p0340, sensor replaced, check engine light still off, but backfiring...help!!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (6) Thread Tools
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM   6 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT
2011 MM Chick of the Year February 2011 ROTM

tinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud of

Code p0340, sensor replaced, check engine light still off, but backfiring...help!!

I have a 2003 4.6L GT with 92,000 miles. Last week, we had the dreaded code p0340 (camshaft position sensor). Along with the check engine light, the car was backfiring at start up, gas mileage dropped significantly and car felt sluggish. We tried for the easy fix and replaced the sensor and cleared the code. For about the next 5 times that we started the car, it still backfired, but the check engine light didn't return. Then, the backfiring stopped. We assumed that it was just the computer relearning. Then again today, the backfiring at startup began again. Stilll no check engine light.

We have read multiple threads and posts that say that the alternator can be a culprit, however, what concerns us is the fact that the check engine light hasn't returned. Is it possible for the alternator to be confusing the sensor but not triggering a check engine light?

Any thoughts or suggestions for other things we should check?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #2
Regular

2003, Mustang, GT
???

supercharged03gt is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem a few months ago. Very strange no shop could tell me what was wrong. Someone told me it was the timing chain so I was going to get a whole new chain and would cost like $800 i think. Well I have an o/r x pipe and hadnt put the mill eliminators on yet and had been driving around for about 2 months without them. when I put the mills on it stopped. No idea what caused it to stop, but I was having the same backfire problem and when it would backfire the car wouldnt start so I had to crank it till it didnt backfire. Still dont know if the problem is fixed, but it doesnt backfire any more. I would like to see if anyone else had this problem.

Mods: Vortech V-1 supercharger, BBK LT headers, BBK o/r X pipe, Flomaster cat back, 4:10 gears, Centerforce clutch, Fidneza aluminum flywheel, K-member, Eibach pro kit, MM caster camber plates, Eagle F1 tires 275 & 315.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

tinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud oftinkerbell_too has much to be proud of

I also have an x-pipe and Flowmaster, but have had the mill eliminators from day one. I had a problem with the exhaust at one point which caused the car to backfire constantly when I was driving, but not just at startup.

Any other thoughts?
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Enthusiast

2003 Mach 1
11.55@117

1979rs/z28 is on a distinguished road

Most likely the alternator, me and about 3 or for friends of mine had this problem.
2003 Mach 1-Almost stock 13.3 motor/11.55 Nitrous. About to go a lot faster!
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

04 Mustang GT

dude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the rough

I had this problem, but mine was a bad PCM. Take your car to a parts store and have them check your alternator before you do anything with the PCM. Here are the things that could cause your problem...Bad crank position sensor, bad cam position sensor, bad pcm, bad diode pattern in alternator, bad wiring. If you have electronics knowledge i can get you a pin out tonight.

Is your computer stock, or is it tuned? If it is tuned, (if possible) put it back to stock and see if problem goes away.
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

It's a stock computer.
We went to Autozone and had them check the alternator. According to them, it was putting out the proper voltage. What are we looking for - how do we know if there is a bad diode pattern in the alternator?
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT
13.538@101.72 before cams&slicks&gears

SteviGX will become famous soon enoughSteviGX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SteviGX

Originally Posted by tinkerbell_too View Post
It's a stock computer.
We went to Autozone and had them check the alternator. According to them, it was putting out the proper voltage. What are we looking for - how do we know if there is a bad diode pattern in the alternator?
take it off the car. i work at autozone. the machine they use to test it on the car isn't anywhere near as accurate. i've had some that are good on the car but are bad when they take them off.

Just make sure they have the adapter first, it should be a goofy looking wing type deal

Mineral Gray Club Member #2

Just your average 22 year old dumbass

If you didn't build your car, and your bragging about it, STFU
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Update......we took the car to Autozone and asked them to check it again for a code, even though the check engine light isn't coming on. We were told that they couldn't pull a code unless the check engine light was on. Told them to humor us and check it anyways. So they did - pulled the same code (p0340 - camshaft position sensor) AGAIN. And just to reiterate, we disconnected the battery to clear the code on the computer when we changed the sensor last week. When we reconnected the battery, the code never came back, but the backfiring did.

The bulb isn't burnt out - in the accessory position, it comes on.

Now what -- does this sound like the computer? I don't want to replace the alternator ($200+) and then still have to replace the computer ($500+).
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

2000 GT

RyanGT is a jewel in the roughRyanGT is a jewel in the roughRyanGT is a jewel in the roughRyanGT is a jewel in the rough

Computer errors are very rare... but if it is i have a computer that i bought thinking that was the error and now i cant return... its with my car in the shop but if thats what you narrow it down to i can sell it to you cheaper than the dealership.
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Check engine light decided to come on this evening....and my gas mileage went in the toilet. So, I would guess that the computer is working. I plan on ordering a new alternator tomorrow. If I've got to replace it, I might as well get one that has better amps and looks better, so I'm going to order the 130 amp polished pa performance alternator. Hopefully this will solve the problems. I'll update as soon as I get the new one on and drive it for a few days.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

04 Mustang GT

dude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the roughdude496 is a jewel in the rough

Diode pattern test is a standard test when taking to places that check alternators....basically a diode pattern test ensures you are getting a regulated voltage to your system.

Like i asked earlier, do you have some electrical background? If i give you a tolerance at a connector would you be able to use a volt meter/ohm meter to ensure proper levels?

Before you just go pissing away money, have a parts store load test the alternator out of car a few times to ensure it checks out correctly.

Alternators are very simple devices...basically it is an AC (alternating current) motor (magnets and coils) that when gets spun up to high speeds create a voltage...your alternator is going to create lets say 50,000 volts AC. Well your car runs on a D/C (direct current) voltage, so we need to convert the AC to DC...so you have a basic rectifing circuit that converts it to DC and then you have a "smoothing" circuit that regulates it to a certain tolerance....So with all that said, if the alternator is providing a fairly constant DC output that is within tolerance (no AC ripple) the alternator is good and wont cause your problems. If you have a degraded diode in the regulated section this can cause all sorts of problems...problems like you currently have.

If you take the car to the dealership, they should be able to do a function test/reload factory tune for around $100 or so....might be a more viable starting point.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

04 Mustang GT

Actually it might be a DC motor, its been a while since i've dealt with the motors, i'll do some more research on it tomorrow...but wether it be a DC motor or an AC motor the rest of it stays the same....bad diode patter = voltage not being regulated properly.
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Replaced the alternator this weekend (got a 130V from PA Performance). Car is running perfect now.....no check engine light, no backfiring.
Took the old alternator to Advance to have tested OFF of the car just to see what the results would be, but were told that they couldn't test it because they didn't have a bracket to fit it.
Thanks to everyone for your input on this issue
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Civic EX
Soon to see a Garrett 60 trim

DanTheMan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1979rs/z28 View Post
Most likely the alternator, me and about 3 or for friends of mine had this problem.
Me too, replaced the alternator and the problem went away
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Civic EX
Soon to see a Garrett 60 trim

DanTheMan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tinkerbell_too View Post
Replaced the alternator this weekend (got a 130V from PA Performance). Car is running perfect now.....no check engine light, no backfiring.
Took the old alternator to Advance to have tested OFF of the car just to see what the results would be, but were told that they couldn't test it because they didn't have a bracket to fit it.
Thanks to everyone for your input on this issue
same thing at my advance lol.. glad to see that you got it fixed
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #16
Regular

2003, Mustang, GT
???

supercharged03gt is on a distinguished road

What other problems could the alternator cause? I would have never guessed it would have to do with his or my problem.

Mods: Vortech V-1 supercharger, BBK LT headers, BBK o/r X pipe, Flomaster cat back, 4:10 gears, Centerforce clutch, Fidneza aluminum flywheel, K-member, Eibach pro kit, MM caster camber plates, Eagle F1 tires 275 & 315.
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #17
Regular

2001 Mustang V6
n/a

jmscobra is on a distinguished road

Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life, BUT everything tinkerbell said - well it's happening to me too. I have replaced my cam sensor 3 times already and the backfiring comes, gas mileage goes to SHIT! and I can't figure out why, I have been driving my car for 8 months like that, real sluggish, hp decreased a lot, and well when I drive it felt as if the car "backfired" as in it kind of shook and then went back to normal, like a gear got jammed or something. This thread gave me Hope! This is why I love this forum, a lot of answers and help. I just ordered the exact same part as tinkerbell did. In hopes that it will fix my problem as well. *cross fingers!*

Again - Sorry to bring back old thread, I just got lifted with hope and felt good and had to say something ^_^
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18
Zippy's Resident Milf

2003 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by jmscobra View Post
Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life, BUT everything tinkerbell said - well it's happening to me too. I have replaced my cam sensor 3 times already and the backfiring comes, gas mileage goes to SHIT! and I can't figure out why, I have been driving my car for 8 months like that, real sluggish, hp decreased a lot, and well when I drive it felt as if the car "backfired" as in it kind of shook and then went back to normal, like a gear got jammed or something. This thread gave me Hope! This is why I love this forum, a lot of answers and help. I just ordered the exact same part as tinkerbell did. In hopes that it will fix my problem as well. *cross fingers!*

Again - Sorry to bring back old thread, I just got lifted with hope and felt good and had to say something ^_^
I'm glad you found hope in this thread. I still have not had any more problems. Hopefully you'll be as lucky! Come back and post your results.....GOOD LUCK!!
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #19
MM Fanatic

99 limited edition vert

limited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to all

one quick way to check the diodes if you have a dvom. put it on a low ac volt scale,put red lead on output stud of alt,black to ground(I use the alt case). turn on acc. and if you read more than .5v it is bad
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #20
Regular

2001 Mustang V6
n/a

jmscobra is on a distinguished road

thanks for the feedback tinkerbell. Hopefully my alt will get here this week or next. Is the PA shipping good? or slow? I used standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/59946-code-p0340-sensor-replaced-check-engine-light-still-off-but-backfiring-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
p0340 code mustang gt This thread Refback October 3rd, 2013 07:51 PM
P0340 Intermittent Signal Civic This thread Refback January 31st, 2013 06:27 PM
check engine light help! This thread Refback November 11th, 2011 01:30 PM
1997 Cobra giving P0340 code - SVTPerformance This thread Refback September 1st, 2011 12:30 PM
check engine light help! This thread Refback May 24th, 2011 01:48 PM
Transmission And Fuel Filters Replacement - Taurus Car Club of America This thread Refback February 1st, 2010 01:20 PM

Threads Similar to: Code p0340, sensor replaced, check engine light still off, but backfiring...help!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Light Code ricerraper33 Audio/Video 1 December 27th, 2007 11:42 AM
engine light code what is it ? xxrals22xx V6 Mustangs 4 January 24th, 2007 03:58 PM
P0340 camshaft position sensor yellowfever 99 - 04 1 October 9th, 2006 10:19 AM
P0340 OBD2 Code lakersnet 96 - 98 1 September 20th, 2006 10:48 PM
CEL-Check engine light code P0340 riscx 2005 - 2010 0 September 12th, 2006 06:52 PM