Modded Mustang Forums banner

Finally an affordable projector retrofit?

28K views 222 replies 29 participants last post by  TheOdessa 
#1 ·
99 04 Ford Mustang Black New Custom Retrofit Projector Headlights | eBay

Could it be? The pictures show a nice, crisp cut off line and it isn't all riced out with stupid LED halos and such.

I'll admit, I bit the bullet. I'll post pictures once installed.

I bought OPT7 H1 bulbs to go in them as I currently have the stock housings HID.

If the cut off isn't like the pictures after adjustment, I'm going to return them. I've done retrofits in the past so I know how it's supposed to look so we will see.

#4 ·
I'll post up a pic once I seal it and get it installed and aimed correctly.

It's even got connections for a hi/lo beam which leads me to believe it's a true projector with motorized flap that creates a true cut off line.

I'll keep everyone updated.

#5 ·
The shroud on those projectors is rather unattractive IMO. I would prefer they were completely round rather than squared off. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you painted the shroud like Froush mentioned.

#7 ·
Ive seen those on ebay but ended up passing on them. Im going to do my own retrofits in my 02 and take my time so I know its done well. Spec d has a rep for making crappy stuff but I hope you like them and they perform well.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
I was extremely disappointed with the set of smoked Cobra headlights and corner markers I got from LMR. After a few years in the California sun they look like total trash. OEM or bust for me in the future.

#15 ·
You'll probably want to re-clear them with better clear coat, like PI2v said any aftermarket headlights I've seen go to trash quick. Also just keep up with a few sealent coats when your washing your car to keep them protected and pretty.

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
I was impressed too! This weekend I am going to spend more time with them. I sealed them up with silicone last night and they are drying. I will mess with them more tonight and take more pics of the back and the inner workings of them.

How do you reclear them?

#20 ·
That makes sense. I honestly didn't "test" the lens to see the quality of them (really felt them or dug my nail in to see what's on there) but my plan was to keep them protected with Miguires plastic and headlight protector. Perhaps I need to take this extra step.

#21 ·
Regardless they have to be maintained. Clear coating them just prolongs the fogging and yellowing. If you didn't do anything and they start to get hazy and yellow, its not hard to sand and polish them again. Clear coating will just protect from the damage to the plastic. Then you have to maintain the clear coat which will probably perform better though.

#28 ·
I took more time that I really needed to open them up, but I was worried about ****ing them up so I took my time. It wasn't too bad. So far I'm really happy with them. Definitely get hids for them and definitely paint the shroud black.

Those look great. How'd you do the clear corners?

#26 ·
I forget what brand. I just bought a cheap kit off of amazon because I didn't feel like waiting 4 weeks for DDM to send me a set. They're supposed to be 5000k, but have an orangish/pinkish tint in certain spots. Visibility is so much better. I have projectors on my Elantra, but these focus the light a whole lot better and costs a lot less. I'll eventually buy a good hid kit, but for now I'm happy.

When I bought my car it had smoked clear corner headlights and I just stole them out of that and tinted them. I put Amber LEDs in the turn signals after I took that photo.

#31 ·
I'm not sure honestly. I bought them off of eBay a few years ago.

Those look great. How'd you do the clear corners?
I dont suppose you could do a tutorial on how to do this (clear corners, black out) could you? :help
Hope this helps guys:

Here's my unofficial tutorial on how I did my headlights. I didn't take many pictures because I didn't plan on making one of these, but I'll post the photos that I do have at some point. I'm tired and I have to travel for work for a few days.

There are other methods out there, but this is how I did it. Proceed at your own risk as I will not be liable should any damage occur while following these instructions.

Tools needed:
Heat gun or hair dryer
Medium-large sized screw driver
320 grit sand paper
Isopropyl alcohol
Rag
Painters tape
Black spray paint (I used plastidip because it's matte)
Clear corner pieces
Tai light tint
Wet sand paper (600, 800, 1000, 1500)
Headlight polish
Headlight sealer

1. Use the heat gun on low and hold about 6"-8" from the headlight. Go all the way around the seam a few times to loosen the seal. Don't hold in one spot. Always keep it going or else you'll start to melt your headlight housing.

2. Next, while still applying heat, use the screw driver to start prying open the housing. This is what took me the most time. Keep going until you've gotten all the way around and they finally separate.

3. Use the tape to mask off everything, but the shroud. You can use the 320 grit sand paper to rough up the chrome shroud so the paint can stick. Before you paint though, it needs to be cleaned. Use the alcohol and rage to clean off the loose particles.

4. Double check that everything is taped off!

5. Begin painting. Do two or three light coats, making sure to let them fully dry in between. Then do 3 more heavier coats. Let dry.

I took the clear corners out of the headlights (just pops out) that came on my car whenever I bought it so I followed the same steps to open that one and I stole the corners from them.

6. Clean with alcohol.

7. Apply 2-3 light coats of tail light tint to the reflector, letting each coat dry in between. Then finish with 2-3 heavy coats, letting those dry in between coats.

8. Once they're completely dried they will look dull. Start with the 600 wet sand paper and go through 800, then 100, then 1500. Then use your headlight polish to finish it up. Now it will look shines and translucent.

9. Once everything is dry you can reassembly them and add your sealant to them. I wrapped mine with tape to keep it up from spreading apart.

10. Let them seal overnight and your done!

#34 ·
Cutoff from a further distance?

I wasn't able to mess with them last night as I hoped due to work. Tonight I have my daughter. This weekend I will get a full day to mess with them more and properly align them. When I do I'll post pics!

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

These look freaking awesome. If only they didn't have lines in them.
You know I just noticed that. They are ever so faint but they are there. I wonder why they did that on the lens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.