Modded Mustang Forums banner

What is the SBE 4.6 2v Record?

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Froush 
#1 ·
What's up everybody, been a minute since I've been on here, been real busy. I'm trying to find what exactly is the 1/4 ET and MPH record for a stock bottom end 4.6 2v, so I can potentially beat it. I know sharkbait has the sbe 2v record at 10.1, but that's a 5.4L, and there has been a 9sec. sbe 3v, but I can't find the sbe 4.6L 2v record. I think I have a good shot at it.

Weight with me in it is 3240lbs, running 10-11lbs around 500whp, built 4r70w with circleD 3800 and transbrake, skinnies with 27x10.5 hoosier qtp's out back and an airbag in the passenger rear to act as an anti-roll bar.

Haven't been to the track yet but I've run it on the street a bit. Yeah I know I slept on the light lol, I was looking at the boost gauge.

See less See more
1 1
#7 ·
Over the years I've heard of several SBE 2-valves running mid-low 10's. I wonder if anyone knows how long these cars lasted at that lever. Seems like they would have a very short fuse.

#8 ·
What fuel are you using? You can get a bit more out of a stock bottom end by running e85 or race fuel?

#9 ·
93, and my tune is conservative timing and fueling wise. I'm already at the limit, so I'm not gonna get a retunejust to make a little more power. However I will be swapping to e85 with a new motor.

#11 ·
I'm sure it's low 10s, or maybe even higher 9s. Don't discount the fact either that these cars were run quite a bit 10-15 years ago before everyone posted everything they did online.

I know of one local car that has run mid 10s on a stock long block. Was a carbureted manual with a metric s*** load of nitrous. Oh, and about every spare pound of weight reduction that you could do. No P/S, no A/C, no electric anything, tiny fuel cell, etc. Car was a ragged-out looking POS, but ran like a scalded dog. And I know it lasted for at least a few dozen passes through one season. Not sure what happened after that. I'm sure a bunch of ET and trap could be gained with ported heads and cams on that same setup, hence my suspicion that low 10s or even 9s could have already been done.

I'd be awfully surprised to see a supercharged setup last long at that power. The parasitic drag from a blower actually shoving that much air through a 2-valve would be huge, probably upwards of 100 horsepower. Meaning the motor in a 10 second supercharged car would need to hold 100 more horsepower to go the same trap as a nitrous or turbo setup. And that's quite a bit considering they normally break WAY before then anyway. I'd lean towards the lower total weight, less complexity, and cooler temps from a nitrous setup being most likely to hold a record.

#12 ·
Well if the weather's good I'm going to the track this Saturday hoping for 10's straight off the trailer, pretty much got the shocks, air bag pressure, and tire pressure dialed in from testing on the street. Weather is way too hot and humid to set any records right now, but we'll see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.