Modded Mustang Forums banner

looking to replace my CX3" IC with a mishimoto R

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  MineralGreyGT 
#1 ·
So I tried doing some research and couldn't really find an answer I was satisfied with, basically i'm running a 3" bar and plate IC from CX racing and its been good to me. Ive yet to see IAT higher than the mid 90s. On a nice cold day with a 3.33" pulley I can get to 10.1lbs of boost at 6K but on really hot days I'm lucky if I get 9psi. I was looking into possibly swapping out for the mishimoto R series IC. I've read good things about them and they are very reasonable in price. Currently with my V2 S setup I'm pumping roughly 680ish CFM, I'm wondering if its even beneficial to bump up to the mishimoto R IC? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I just went from a CX 3" to a CX 4" and I noticed a significant difference. I saw 10psi at about 6000rpm in 90 degree weather. With the old 3" I'd run it to 6500rpm and get 11psi in 60* weather. I think 12 or 13psi is a reasonable expectation in cooler weather.

I've only driven the car once with the new intercooler, but it feels like it's got a little more punch on the bottom end and it's definitely making more power on the top end. I still need to check my IAT to see how much it dropped.

One benefit of going to a CX 4" is that it is basically a direct replacement aside from modifying or removing your bumper support.

#6 ·
So I swapped out my 3" CX for a moshimoto R series and oh my I cant believe what I've been missing, I never thought the mustang to really be all that much faster but my 3" CX was definitely restrictive. Car feels really good now all across the board! For those of you who are on the fence just get the better IC, I am still running the stock bumper I machined two 1.5" spacers to push out the bumper, also now thats its farther out I dont need the Styrofoam bumper support because the corners of the beam are close enough to the cover where it doesn't allow it to cave in.

#9 ·
I too run the Mishimoto R series intercooler.

#14 ·
I pulled the trigger on a mishimoto S line intercooler today. Flows the same as the R line but is a 3" core. I will post the change in boost and iat's when I get it dynod at the end of the month. My cx racing 3" was only seeing 8lbs of boost at 6k on a vortech v3 SI with 3.33 pulley. I hope to see 10-11 with this new intercooler.

#15 ·
I would have went with the R series yes the S series has similar flow numbers but the over all cooling capability surface is reduced by the 3"capacity. It would have been a little more work to get it in there but the over all benefit would have been worth it.

#20 ·
I find it interesting watching the evolution of peoples opinions as real world experiences change them. The intercooler has been a huge area of debate for many years and folks stood behind the cxracing 3" units.

Those spacers look solid and far more superior than the hack job I did back in the day. Are there any concerns with the edges of the steal bumper cutting into the back of the body work over time? I do not recall how sharp it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.