Modded Mustang Forums banner

Extreme uneven brake wear, possible causes?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dexdiman 
#1 ·
I replaced my brake pads the other day and I noticed that the rear driverside pads had completely worn down. There was literally 1/16th of an inch of pad remaining while the passenger side pads where just barely half way used.

What would cause such uneven brake wear?

#2 ·
Sticking sliders. Sticking piston. A bad brake line that isn't letting the pressure release quickly. I had all three on various vehicles.

Sticking sliders and a sticking piston is usually a result of rust. You probably fixed that when you compressed the piston and greased the sliders. A bad brake line has to be replaced.

Reactions: Woodman
#3 ·
Yup. Stuck sliders are pretty common. It's worth the trouble to check the rear slider pins at least once a year. Rear brake pads should last a long time, and so people don't check them as often as they should.

Also check and make sure that the little nub on the back of the pad is aligned with the notch in the face of the piston.

#4 ·
Yeah the last time I replaced my brakes the driver side rear piston had seized so I had to get a new caliper. I have heard this is a common problem when the pad gets really low due to the piston over extending, and I was totally expecting to have have to replace the passenger side one too but it compressed. I greased up the slider pins so that should be OK now.

Is there anyway to determine if the brake line was the issue? I am looking at getting stainless steel braided brake lines, maybe it's time to just get them.

#5 ·
If the pressure is slow to release you will notice that after sitting the wheel spins freely but after you use the brakes it won't. If that is happening you can release pressure using the bleed valve. If it then spins freely again then its a good indication of a bad brake line.

If it not releasing the pressure at all you would never have gotten the caliper piston back in. I had that happen on my F150 front brake and actually broke a C-clamp before I wised up and released the pressure through the bleed valve.

Since we are telling stories I had passenger side rear sliders get so rusted that I couldn't get them out of the bracket. I tried heat, cold and a big hammer. I finally gave up and bought a new bracket.

#6 ·
Since we are telling stories I had passenger side rear sliders get so rusted that I couldn't get them out of the bracket. I tried heat, cold and a big hammer. I finally gave up and bought a new bracket.
+1 I had the exact same problem this spring. had to buy a new bracket for one of the rears

#7 ·
I've had to use a hammer and chisel to knock mine out before. Leave it bolted to the axle with the caliper removed. Use the BF hammer and punch or chisel on the lip of it and knock it out after soaking it in penetrating oil. There is always going to be the case where this doesn't work. But it's the best method I've found of getting out really stuck ones.

#8 ·
Yup, almost definitely a stuck piston and/or slider. Just buy a new one from Rock Auto and be done with it.

Also, while you're at it with the caliper off, go ahead and flush the brake fluid. It's the most dramatic improvement you'll see with how your brakes feel, and it only cost ~$5 for a bottle of fluid.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info.

I'll keep an eye on the rear brake and see how this set of pads go and replace the caliper if it continues.

I flushed the brake fluid right after I got the car a few years but I'm sure it's due for another change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.