Modded Mustang Forums banner

I may have a problem...

686 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  07gtS197 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. So I changed out plugs this afternoon on my 00 GT and saw cylinder #4 had oil on it, even the tip(clean looking oil not burnt grungy oil), the center was also red as you can see in one of the pics. My car has 99K miles and I've owned it for about 18 months. It ran good and smooth before the change, no detectable misfires, smooth idle. I wanted to try E3's(mistake).

I'm too new to the 4.6 modular world and don't want to jump to any conclusions just yet. How would oil cover the plug?? What is this a sign of??

BTW I replaced them with E3's and so far they seem like they cost me some power, gonna replace with basic resistor, gap-able plugs probably tomorrow.

My motor runs as smooth as silk and doesn't smoke at all out the tail pipes. No CEL. If there is a problem id like to get ahead of it.

Thanks ahead of time for your opinions!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are you sure its oil? It doesnt look like oil. Is your car tuned? The npi heads are known to have bad valve seals, I know your car has a pi motor, but its possible thats the reason you have oil getting through your valve seals.

As far as plugs, Id replace those e3's with a set of autolite platinums. E3's are not used in these cars and their design isnt a good one otherwise all other manufactures wouldve followed suit.

#5 ·
I have a custom 93 octane race tune for my mods. It feels like oil and doesn't smell like gas. I didn't think of valve seals. If the 4.6 has valve seals like a pushrod 302 has that may very well be where its coming from. In 5k miles it consumed less than half a quart of oil, that seems pretty good. It runs too good and smooth for it to be something major, I hope! I was gonna try NGK iridiums as replacements.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I feel like a real dope for trying E3's. Thanks for your thoughts on the oily plug, i appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.