Modded Mustang Forums banner

Car won't start electrical problem

885 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  1C2 
#1 ·
Car wouldn't start tonight, turned the key, the dash lights turned off heard one tick and that's it. After a few minutes I could do it again but the lights didn't come back on right away. The last maybe 6-8 months the theft light would randomly come on once in a while but not effect anything. Could it be a bad ground, starter? I read something about a bad chip in my key? Any help would be great

#4 ·
I had a similar problem with my 02 gt. It turned out to be the negative battery terminal corroding. The positive terminal soon followed. With how thin the terminals are, if you dont check them often they will corrode to nothing. The same thing happened to my 98 v6.

#5 ·
your battery is weak or your connections are lose or corroded

#6 ·
I'm guess it was the connections, I cleaned some wires up tightened the connections and it started right up. Maybe it's time for a new battery as well, I tested both the battery and alternator and they were both fine though

#8 ·
I just got those cheap terminals from advance that are a lot thicker than factory. All you have to do is remove the stock terminal and clamp the new one on. They were a few bucks a piece but they do the job well. Its been a while with no problems, though they arent the prettiest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.