Modded Mustang Forums banner

E85 fuel filter for factory lines

7K views 35 replies 6 participants last post by  Derfdog15 
#1 ·
The plan is to run e85 in the Mach next year. I know that I need 30% more fuel and have already bought an 03 cobra fuel tank assembly and will be upgrading from 60lb to 80lb injectors. I will be swapping the cobra pumps for 255lph Walbro Improved GT Supercar pumps which are e85 compatible and already have a KB 40amp bap installed. I want to keep the stock fuel lines, but I'm having a hard time finding a stainless mesh fuel filter that will work with the factory push in disconnect fuel lines. Has anyone had success keeping the factory lines or is there no other option but to upgrade the fuel line from the hat to the rail?

I tested two Shell gas stations that are nearest to me over the last two days. The one four blocks from my house tested E85. The one 7 miles from my house had "at least 70% ethanol" written on the pump and tested E70.

#2 ·
The factory lines will be insufficient in size..... the line upgrades are not as expensive as you would think and it will be better to use Teflon coated lines for the ethanol. I'm not sure I would want that ethanol sitting in those steel factory lines.. Look on frozen boost.com.

#3 ·
I second upgrading to a better line, as the E85 can cause corrosion etc. on older factory lines.

The plan is to run e85 in the Mach next year. I know that I need 30% more fuel and have already bought an 03 cobra fuel tank assembly and will be upgrading from 60lb to 80lb injectors. I will be swapping the cobra pumps for 255lph Walbro Improved GT Supercar pumps which are e85 compatible and already have a KB 40amp bap installed. I want to keep the stock fuel lines, but I'm having a hard time finding a stainless mesh fuel filter that will work with the factory push in disconnect fuel lines. Has anyone had success keeping the factory lines or is there no other option but to upgrade the fuel line from the hat to the rail?

I tested two Shell gas stations that are nearest to me over the last two days. The one four blocks from my house tested E85. The one 7 miles from my house had "at least 70% ethanol" written on the pump and tested E70.
Good on you for testing to make sure the fuel is what it says it is.

On a side note, wish the Shell stations around me had E85 on tap, would save some hassle with the E20 blend that I run in the SHO.

#9 ·
Fyi. I have Glenn's Performance sump tank A1000 setup on my car. After about 5yrs. The stainless steel fuel lines that come with that kit are a POS. I already had to replace my return 8an fuel line. And now just fo a leak in my 10an fuel feed line coming from my Y block. I have only ran e85 just a hand full of times as well. I'm in process of replacing all my fuel lines with ptfe kind from http://www.anfittingsdirect.com.

#10 ·
Fyi. I have Glenn's Performance sump tank A1000 setup on my car. After about 5yrs. The stainless steel fuel lines that come with that kit are a POS. I already had to replace my return 8an fuel line. And now just fo a leak in my 10an fuel feed line coming from my Y block. I have only ran e85 just a hand full of times as well. I'm in process of replacing all my fuel lines with ptfe kind from AN Fittings and Stainless Steel Lines.
How long did you let the ethanol sit in your tank and lines?

#14 ·
I picked up some 80lb injectors yesterday. The 80's only have one spray hole that sprays out 15 degrees. The 60's I have on the car now have a 4 hole spray pattern that sprays 25 degrees. Anyone think this will be an issue on a 4v? I'll have to look at the stock injectors to see how many sprayer holes they have.

#15 ·
I have a pair of 80's for sale Siemens Deka you wont have any issues with the 80's.

#17 ·
Subbing for info. The gas stations around me discontinued the pump gas I was tuned on and I am debating on whether or not I should convert to e85 or settle for a lesser octane pump gas tune. I figured I would build my fuel system once and get it over with while I am in this small bind but I am trying to research what else is out there. I see some reputable forum members in here. Would I be foolish to consider buying the kit in the link below for a 600 - 650whp goal while leaving a little room to grow? It seems like a pretty good deal for what the kit includes but still a lot of money... I know of on3performance's kit that comes with a baffled tank but I know that Fore is far superior in quality. Just wondering if the extra money is going to be worth it if I decide to pull the trigger. Down the road I would consider buying a baffled tank and upgrading my 60lb injectors after I build my 4v motor.

http://www.jpcracing.com/96-04-gt-03-04-mach1-cobra-return-style-fuel-system-1400-hp-w-rails/

#18 ·
Subbing for info. The gas stations around me discontinued the pump gas I was tuned on and I am debating on whether or not I should convert to e85 or settle for a lesser octane pump gas tune. I figured I would build my fuel system once and get it over with while I am in this small bind but I am trying to research what else is out there. I see some reputable forum members in here. Would I be foolish to consider buying the kit in the link below for a 600 - 650whp goal while leaving a little room to grow? It seems like a pretty good deal for what the kit includes but still a lot of money... I know of on3performance's kit that comes with a baffled tank but I know that Fore is far superior in quality. Just wondering if the extra money is going to be worth it if I decide to pull the trigger. Down the road I would consider buying a baffled tank and upgrading my 60lb injectors after I build my 4v motor.

96-04 GT : 03-04 Mach1 & Cobra Return Style Fuel System (1400 HP) w/ Rails - Justin's Performance Center
You can get to your goals and then some for half that price man. Return system with a 340 and a 40amp Boost a Pump will do the trick.

I have a question for everyone.

Why is everybody spending gobs of cash on E85 and having to buy testers and test the pump E85 and all that up front cost instead of just running meth? Honestly way cheaper!!!!!! its easier to switch over from no meth to meth and it cools IATs witch E85 does not. Why spend so much on a fuel system when Meth is cheap and meth works better.

#19 ·
Actually ethanol burns cooler than pump gas and allows you to pull more timing while preventing the chance of knock much better than 93 octane would. It's basically 100octane race fuel except you are burning more of it. I figured I would get the best fuel system I can and do it right once and have my car be ready for big power.

As for the testing at the pump, you should be able to test around the Spring season when they mix a higher blend of ethanol and it should stay close to the same until winter season

#25 ·
Meth, Water, Alcohol injection all add Octane just like E85 and the statement that E85 burns cooler is false it has a higher flashpoint meaning it will not burn until hotter conditions exist than that of a lower octane fuel (basically it burns hotter) and NO IT WILL NOT HELP IATs like meth WILL.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

When ethanol enters the combustion chamber, it pulls heat from the cylinders when it moves from a liquid to a gaseous state. This cooling affect is what technically brings down the IATs. It definitely does a great job, otherwise people wouldn't be getting away with the boost levels they are seeing.

You can use meth or ethanol but I will pick ethanol over meth as it's easier to have one fuel system instead of basically 2.
I'm not saying E85 is not a great way to go for performance gains but the cost far exceeds that of a well made meth kit and the performance enhancement is negligible comparing injection kits with E85. Also meth = 1 tune needed, E85 = 2 tunes needed

#20 ·
But yeah, otherwise I am going to see if I should just get the car retuned on 91 clear. I don't like the idea of spraying meth though. It's just as much of a hassle as stopping at the pump more frequently in my opinion.

#26 ·
What's your power goals? Are you limiting yourself at 500whp? If you wanna go any higher than that, you will need a bigger fuel system anyway. Why waste the money on all these extra gadgets that won't do a stock fuel system any good after 500whp? You won't need anything else besides your new fuel system that can handle 850hp

#27 ·
whatever gets me into the 10s so ~550-650 I'm making a return system and already have the 40 amp BAP. I need a regulator and 80lb injectors is all but in order to gain a nice power curve I'm adding compression going for 10.5:1. With that compression I may or may not run into issues with timing/pre-detonation and that's where the duel Nozzle meth injection will come in if needed. I'm not spending 2k on a fuel system that the vortech 2v wont utilize. OP can hit his goal with Meth for way less and that's the only reason I chimed in.

#29 · (Edited)
I would not run 100% meth. I don't want something that burns flame less in my street car. E85 cools the cylinders a lot better and is evenly disbursed through the injectors to each cylinder. I had to upgrade the fuel system anyway, so no it would really not be much cheaper. My cobra tank assembly, ptfe hose with fittings, filter, dual e85 GT supercar pumps, modified fpdm, and 80lb injectors is costing me $1156 shipped. If I remember correctly the Snow Stage 3 failsafe kit is like $850 and the Alky Control standard kit is $600. Running 2 tunes is not a problem. Tune doesn't cost any extra than just getting a 93 tune. Technically once your setup for e85 you don't need to use 93 unless you're taking the car somewhere where e85 is not available. You're not adding any extra mechanical/electrical parts that could fail. You use 30% more at WOT. Normal driving is 15-20%. I only drive this car around 1000 miles a year so I'm not too concerned about burning a bit more, but can always switch back to 93.

If E85 isn't available in the future, well then I've got myself a 1000hp capable fuel system(with the BAP I already have installed). I'll worry about getting a meth kit then if needed.

Reactions: 5rand0n7
#30 ·
I think I'll trust my tuner who currently has the record for the quickest Hellcat Charger and Challenger without nitrous both tuned on E85, and who has been tuning Mustangs and Mopar a on e85 for years. We talked about meth and e85 and decided to go with e85.

Reactions: 5rand0n7
#32 ·
I just got off the phone with the Petroleum Department of Kwik Trip... I called to ask them why they discontinued my blend of fuel. I also asked them if e85 was going away and they said they are literally putting up new stations TODAY including pumps for e85.

#34 ·
The reason the us population was sold on the E85 idea was that it would be cleaner and act as a counter weight to rising gas prices. Neither of these scenarios are proving to be true and the with the E10 standard giving way to E15 we are heading for the same or higher pump prices and actually getting less oil. Oil companies have figured this out and are going to be charging you the same amount for less of there product. Was 90% gasoline to 10% ethanol and soon will be 85% gasoline to 15% ethanol.

Ethanol production is much more costly than oil refining and when the government subsidies and tax exemptions are gone E85 will either be more expensive than Gasoline or it will go away.

#35 ·
I'm well informed of what you are telling me.... while most of what you're saying is true, there are false facts in your statements.

Let's just agree to disagree on this topic. All the arguing seems to be very opinionated

#36 ·
Lets just run to magic corn while we can and worry about it if an issue comes up later, problem for my future self.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.