Modded Mustang Forums banner

Bullitt Intake Mainfold

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dassar 
#1 ·
At what level should I consider going aftermarket? I'm planning my winter upgrades and am wondering if I should start shopping around for a replacement. Currently ~670hp and ~21psi. Hopefully upping it a little next year shooting for 800, time to go sheet metal? If so, what would you guys recommend?

#6 ·
What kind of shift points are you looking at?

If you're looking for bigger peak dyno numbers, then yes, an aftermarket intake will probably put up bigger numbers at the top of the rpm range. But if you are shifting in the 6500 rpm area, you won't likely go much / any faster at the track. All these years later, and however many aftermarket companies that have taken a shot at it, the Ford-designed Bullitt intake is still king in power-under-the-curve with shift points around 6500 rpm.

If you're heading to 7000+ rpm, that's where you'll see good overall gains with aftermarket intakes, because the gains up there are significant. That being said, it's still going to lose a decent amount of torque below 4000 rpm, maybe even higher than that. Depending on your overall setup, that may matter, or it may not. A lower-stall auto, or a manual, I'd say that it definitely matters. An auto with a 4500+ stall and/or transbrake, and it won't matter a bit.

Or, if it's just a dyno queen, it doesn't matter either.

Oh, on edit, one more thing, just as an FYI. How much boost you're running doesn't change the flow characteristics / capabilities of the intake. In other words, whether or not the intake is pressurized (or exactly how pressurized it is) doesn't change how much it flows, or if it is a "restriction". If it isn't a restriction naturally aspirated, then it won't be a restriction under boost. Regardless of whether you're at 0 pounds of boost or 25 pounds of boost, the intake is still flowing 4.6 liters of air (plus or minus) every two revolutions. The only way to increase the flow through the manifold is to have more displacement, or turn more rpm. If you're not doing either of those, then the intake isn't becoming any more of a restriction than it already is.

It's a technicality I guess, but it is an important distinction, especially when someone says "I'm at xxx horsepower or xx pounds of boost. Is my intake a restriction?" Yes, it is somewhat of a restriction, but no more so than when you were at xxx/2 horsepower and xx/2 pounds of boost.

#8 ·
Right now i'm shifting at 6k because power is dropping off, after swapping valve springs i'm hoping to spin it to 7k as long as its making power.

Thanks, I wish there was more than just the one dude who had a customer. I'd feel much better dropping the coin if I could actually talk to the dude myself and see if anything else changed. Good info regardless

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.