Modded Mustang Forums banner

Spark plugs

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MG2V 
#1 ·
I know there has been debates on this. I have an 01 gt.... cammed and has bolt ons. No forced induction and no nitrous. If I had nos... it prob only. Be 50 shot. I know the car came factor with a platinum plug and a 5 heat range. I have not done anything to change the heat range... and I don't think a 50 to 100 shot of nod would require that either. I had ngk iridiniums in the car until recently. I'd like to go back to a different plug. I like the champion 401 copper plugs but can't find them anywhere. There are platinum and double platinums out there. Anyone used copper plugs? Advantages to copper vs the platinum vs double platinum ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
When I was only NA I ran Autlite 764s and loved them.

I'm on a small shot, cams, bolt ons, etc and I now run NGK BR6FE (non projected version of the TR6). I doesn't run as good on them off the spray as it does with Autolites but it's fine. I always gapped the 764s at .045; my current plugs are at .035.

Copper is better at conducting electricity but copper plugs wear out quicker than platinum plugs.

#5 ·
With a proper tune copper will run a long time. My supercharger was installed at 80,000 miles and at the same time NGK TR6 plugs were installed. I ran them 80,000 miles before I changed them. I found nothing wrong with them. A little wear but nothing bad. Hell, the gap hadn't even changed .002".

I have now run my second set of plugs 40,000 miles. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. I don't intend to change them. I have no idea where you get your information but my experience is that copper will last a lot longer than you expect. And, for performance reasons, I'd never run anything but copper in my motor.

Reactions: GBPackerFan
#6 ·
I ran the Autolite 764s for a while. I had always heard that they have a 15K mile life. I pulled and checked them at 15K miles and they looked fine. I ran them for another 15K or so. Most recently I changed back to either platinum or iridium plugs of the stock heat range because I didn't want to have to worry about it. I couldn't tell any performance differences with just a bolt-on car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.