Modded Mustang Forums banner

Help diagnosing dtc codes

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  barnz01gt 
#1 ·
Threw p0172 (rich bank 1) the other day and now just threw p0301 (cylinder 1 misfire). What are the chances it's a plug? Or could it be an o2 sensor?

#2 ·
Just by googling it and knowing what I know about Fords (take this with a grain of salt) I personally would swap o2 sensors and see if the fault code follows it. I'd follow it up with cleaning the maf and pulling the plug on cylinder 1 to ensure it isn't cracked, broken, or gummed up. If it is, I'd replace all plugs for good measure. Same with o2s. Reset computer and see what happens.

I always start with the basics. I've replaced o2s that were faulty, spark plugs that were gummed up, and cleaned dirty maf (even had to replace one due to k&n and over oiling). I found a lot of issues I had with my Explorer on the minor things like this can happen with the mustang. Sounds like you got a good days worth of trouble shooting and such. Good luck!

#3 ·
the problem is the stupid misfire comes and goes, i checked 3 plugs today before it got dark they didnt look too bad, cops looked ok. i swapped the cyl 1 cop to the other side. its still misfiring but the service light hasnt come back so i can see if it moved to the other side with the cop. ill probably end up replacing the plugs this week

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.