Black intercooler? - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old January 7th, 2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Black intercooler?

I did a search on this site and came up with a thread over 2 years old. Since a lot of time has past and a lot of guys have tried new things, let me get your opinion. I'm thinking about painting my 3 core procharger intercooler black since it is currently off the car. Does a light coat of matt black paint really effects the cooling abilities? Does it have very little effect or major effect? Has anyone done back to back dyno pulls to see any effects? What type of Matt Black paint would you recommend?

I spaced out the intercooler about 3-4 inches off the radiator to promote better air flow. I'm currently ready to reinstall. This is not a track car so I'm not looking for every drop of power for the best time. I just want a black intercooler. If I can get that without affecting IAT to bad and not needing a retune then I'm good. My car is procharged "d1sc", 16psi and 605rwhp "All opinions are welcome"!!!!

Spinning ain't Winning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old January 7th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Id have to find it again but there was a pretty good test done with a bare intercooler and a black one......Needless to say, the black actually had a pretty big effect on cooling. Enough to make me consider doing it this winter. Plus it might help keep things hidden. Not that my wheels or exhaust help with that

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker 644hp/576tq.
Caitlyn Jenner build underway
My Build Thread click link
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #3 of 32 Old January 7th, 2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I seen the video that "Mighty car mods" did but it had a lot of mixed reviews, especially from "Engineering Explained" and "gergimuff". I would like to see some proven facts and not just something on paper.

Spinning ain't Winning

post #4 of 32 Old January 7th, 2017, 10:29 PM

Mine is black powdercoated.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
11.50@121.77@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #5 of 32 Old January 7th, 2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

SSG Pate, I was thinking about powdercoat but can't find a place local. I'm not in the mood of sending it off to get it done and waiting for it to return. If I got to do all that then I will leave it alone and reinstall as is. I don't have to have it Matt Black. If I can paint it myself while it's sitting on the stand with no major side effects then I would love to do it. I have a white mustang with a matt black roof and black Rovos rims. I would like to blacken the intercooler that's showing through the cobra bumper.

Spinning ain't Winning
post #6 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 10:53 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

My intercooler isn't painted black but my trans cooler is. It sits in the grille so didn't want shiny stuff behind the horse. Trans temps never get over 165 on a 1/4 mile pull or dyno.
post #7 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Blownstang what type of paint did you use to spray your cooler?
post #8 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

I have no "proof" that it doesn't affect it but I know many people that have it done with no complaints on any cooling abilities. I'd do it but I like my polished look.
post #9 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu4550 View Post
I have no "proof" that it doesn't affect it but I know many people that have it done with no complaints on any cooling abilities. I'd do it but I like my polished look.
Would you paint the entire intercooler (front&back) or only face side (3-4 coats on the end tanks and lightly mist the fins)
post #10 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 09:06 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown 02 View Post
I did a search on this site and came up with a thread over 2 years old. Since a lot of time has past and a lot of guys have tried new things, let me get your opinion. I'm thinking about painting my 3 core procharger intercooler black since it is currently off the car. Does a light coat of matt black paint really effects the cooling abilities? Does it have very little effect or major effect? Has anyone done back to back dyno pulls to see any effects? What type of Matt Black paint would you recommend?
I have no idea about how much it affects cooling but this is something I know as a fact. If painted it will not cool as efficiently as before. Any insulator (paint) that you put on the intercooler will reduce its cooling effect.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
USAF 1969-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. ICBM Operations. Research & Development.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #11 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 09:10 PM
Regular

I've seen the video/article where they tested the black intercooler and it supposedly did better than the regular bare metal
post #12 of 32 Old January 8th, 2017, 09:50 PM

Ive painted my inter cooler twice since i got it, and I think it cools better because the smooth surface allow the air to move through it more effifiency, And that what I keep telling myself LOL.

I feel as if my intercooler does a great job, however every piece of metal has its limitations once it heat soaks in the summer months

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
11.50@121.77@ 523RWHP

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #13 of 32 Old January 9th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Carving corners

post #14 of 32 Old January 9th, 2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyGT View Post
I seen that video but to me it's all on paper. I'm not doubting his reasoning and knowledge but its all on paper. He isn't giving any "Real World Proof". All he has done is math which is probably and most likely correct. What I want to know is how much increase in heat. Does temp go up 3-4 degrees or 30-40 degrees? I am looking for dyno proof or proof from someone who has a temp gauge installed in their car and notice a temp increase. Someone who has tested the theory of unpainted and painted intercooler with back to back pulls. I want to know was it a minor or major increase. I can live with a minor increase.

Spinning ain't Winning
post #15 of 32 Old January 10th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Carving corners

as an engineer i can tell you its a minor decrease in efficiency. Black is not actually a color so it does not reflect light it absorbs it which is why it tends to retain heat. By painting the inter cooler your encapsulating the material in a layer of paint, probably laytex. People anodize aluminum all the time, usually but not always when you anodize you convert the oxide layer to be thicker which becomes a protective coating which is porous and accepts a dye. Not much different than painting with respect to the aluminum's thermal conductivity. Look inside a high performance PC you'll see heat syncs that are anodized it protects against corrosion and it makes it look cool all with out really affecting the aluminums ability to dissipate heat. If I were you I would skip the paint and just get it anodized, its usually 80-100 bucks and its by lot not quantity of parts so you could get all your plumbing anodized etc. and it looks a lot better. I have an anodized IC and pushing 425whp and its cool as a cucumber. If you wanted to be really slick you could get your IC and plumbing chromated which enhances the thermal conductivity of the aluminum it comes in four flavors gold, clear, green, and black. The anodizer should also be able to do the chromate finish and it cost roughly the same.
03FR500 likes this.

post #16 of 32 Old January 11th, 2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyGT View Post
as an engineer i can tell you its a minor decrease in efficiency. Black is not actually a color so it does not reflect light it absorbs it which is why it tends to retain heat. By painting the inter cooler your encapsulating the material in a layer of paint, probably laytex. People anodize aluminum all the time, usually but not always when you anodize you convert the oxide layer to be thicker which becomes a protective coating which is porous and accepts a dye. Not much different than painting with respect to the aluminum's thermal conductivity. Look inside a high performance PC you'll see heat syncs that are anodized it protects against corrosion and it makes it look cool all with out really affecting the aluminums ability to dissipate heat. If I were you I would skip the paint and just get it anodized, its usually 80-100 bucks and its by lot not quantity of parts so you could get all your plumbing anodized etc. and it looks a lot better. I have an anodized IC and pushing 425whp and its cool as a cucumber. If you wanted to be really slick you could get your IC and plumbing chromated which enhances the thermal conductivity of the aluminum it comes in four flavors gold, clear, green, and black. The anodizer should also be able to do the chromate finish and it cost roughly the same.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I decided to go head and install the intercooler today unpainted. I'm very OK with that. This car is pretty much done with (for as power) and I'm happy with that. I'm just trying to clean up small little issues that should have been done a long time ago.

This year I'm planning on picking up a new toy that I can play with. Not really going after power just a good exhaust note and some staggered rims. Should be a very fun little car to drive.

"2004-06 Honda S2000".

I prefer a 2005 model but as long as it's a AP2, I'm happy.

Spinning ain't Winning
post #17 of 32 Old January 11th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Regular

When I had my GTI i had a big turbo on it with a big intercooler, I painted it gold because i just love how black and gold look. Well I only painted the front of it since I was also worried about it not cooling so I left the back unpainted. I made 320 to the wheels at 18 PSI. I figured if it starts heating up then my PSI would drop maybe 1-2psi which would lead to less horsepower. But it never did. I lived in El Paso, TX at the time. On the hottest of days I never FELT any loss of power. On cold days I would gain about 2-3psi of boost. Good luck! I dont think you'll notice any difference.

2001 Mustang GT - Airaid CAI, Accel Super Coils, UPR O/R X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters, BAMA Tune, Powerstop Rotor/Brakes,SR Short Throw Shifter.
post #18 of 32 Old January 11th, 2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhdz36 View Post
When I had my GTI i had a big turbo on it with a big intercooler, I painted it gold because i just love how black and gold look. Well I only painted the front of it since I was also worried about it not cooling so I left the back unpainted. I made 320 to the wheels at 18 PSI. I figured if it starts heating up then my PSI would drop maybe 1-2psi which would lead to less horsepower. But it never did. I lived in El Paso, TX at the time. On the hottest of days I never FELT any loss of power. On cold days I would gain about 2-3psi of boost. Good luck! I dont think you'll notice any difference.
Thanks for the comment, I might reconsider if I ever have to pull the front bumper again.
post #19 of 32 Old January 12th, 2017, 09:58 PM

nice
post #20 of 32 Old January 12th, 2017, 10:02 PM

I had better AITs with my painted black inter cooler then i did with my raw aluminum inter cooler. I beleive its because the intercooler has less drag.

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
11.50@121.77@ 523RWHP

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page