Setting up gears... marking compound? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old January 9th, 2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
BumbleBee

Setting up gears... marking compound?

Hey all, I'm trying to set up the gears in my 8.8 and I will admit this is the first time I've ever set up gears. It's been a long road but I have a pretty good handle on it now. The problem I'm having is I can't for the life of me see my damn gear pattern. I look online and I see all these nice yellow paint marks with distinct patterns shown.

I bought 2 kinds of compound, one yellow, one white/yellow and I still get nothing. My gears just seem to wipe the entire tooth clean. Some parts look like it's completely wiped and then others look like the gear wiped it slightly but was lifting. It's hard to tell where exactly my pattern is sitting and I don't think it should be wiping the entire tooth clean. Could I really have gotten it dead nuts on perfect by accident? Something just doesn't seem right. Am I supposed to let the compound dry for a while on the gear before spinning it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old January 9th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast

We used the compound provided in the gear kit.

We applied it on the Ring gear. I don't think we let it sit too long. I used the Ford guide to compare patterns and ours was dead on the first time we checked. We did measure backlash first and obviously pinion pre-load. We re-used my pinion shim as well from the 3.27 set (I put in 4.10s).

Yours looks like it is contacting well on both gears. I'm no expert by any means so hopefully someone else chimes in for you. How does it compare to the Ford Guide Gear Pattern? If you need me to, I can find a link to that install guide I used...let me know.

My gears have absolutely no whine at all. Been going for about 10-15k miles now and down the drag strip several times.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - Cammed, Geared, Slow

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #3 of 9 Old January 9th, 2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
BumbleBee

Pinion preload is close; not set 100%, but close. I was just getting a test run done before I went crazy in case the pinion shim had to be changed. Backlash is currently at about .008, it was at .012 first shot, but I didn't want it that loose with new gears especially, so tightened it up. I still want to get it closer to .010 but I can't for the life of me tell if the pattern is good or not. It sure as hell looks like it's wiping the whole gear and that the pattern is deep enough, but I can't tell where the ring gear is lifting off the pinion. I want to be sure it's not going off the edge of the gear tooth.

I see all these patterns online and it just looks like everyone has this nice distinct pattern exactly where the gear is wiping. Mine it seems like it just wipes the compound completely off the ring gear. I want to say I have a perfect pattern but this isn't something I want to guess at, I'd like to get a pattern I can better read.

post #4 of 9 Old January 9th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

I would say let the compound dry for a bit. It will be more distinct the more dry it is.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - Cammed, Geared, Slow

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #5 of 9 Old January 9th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Regular

slather the compound on 4 or 5 teeth really well on the ring gear. If it's too dry some suggest to mix a few drops of gear oil and mix it in the compound. What your pattern (what you can see of it) suggests pretty good contact, but it would be nice if it were more definitive.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...1&d=1483999225
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUC53570.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	190825  
post #6 of 9 Old January 9th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

I got no advice, I'm getting ready to do my first R&P intall in a few weeks. Please post back on what and why the issue was and the solution.
Best of luck.
post #7 of 9 Old January 13th, 2017, 12:03 PM
a.k.a. Racecougar

Are you providing some resistance to the ring gear with your hand while turning the pinion?

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
post #8 of 9 Old January 14th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Not sure what youre doing wrong,bt ive done hundredds and cant say ive ever had that happen

Pm me for billet T45/3650/T56 forks. Usually in stock.
post #9 of 9 Old January 18th, 2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
BumbleBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang Stang View Post
Are you providing some resistance to the ring gear with your hand while turning the pinion?
Yup.

I ordered some new marking compound so I'll find out this weekend. The last set of gears I had done (had help from a mechanic but he let me watch) used the little bag that came with my gear set and the patterns showed up great. I ordered that little bag from motive in hopes it works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page