Cost ideas on a muffler swap - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheOdessa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old January 10th, 2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Cost ideas on a muffler swap

Hey guys. Got some Mac flowpath mufflers for Christmas. Since I have no idea how to weld I'm getting a local well known shop to do it. What's a fair price to cut out my old Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers and weld these in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old January 10th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
I payed ~$150 for the resonator on my SHO to be cut out and replaced with an X-pipe that I supplied, as well as OEM mufflers cut out and replaced with mufflers I supplied. For both replacements the guy welding/doing the work had to add a small length of pipe, and he had to add hangers to the mufflers as well.

On my 03 Mustang, I payed $300 for a full divorced dual exhaust, from the Y-pipe merge back, including flowmaster 44s and the exhaust tips.

I would say probably in the $80-$160 range give or take, go for a mom and pop shop and it will probably be cheaper. It will take them ~1-2 hours to cut everything with precision, and properly weld it all back.

Also, those prices above reflect work at two different shops.

Hope this helps.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L built for turbo + turbo capable of 550 hp on the way

DD: 2015 SHO PP, CAI, Axlebacks, Tune,blacked out/AMR wheels. 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60')
post #3 of 14 Old January 10th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker

Garage
It cost me $75 to have a shop weld in a couple catalytic converters on my midpipe. I brought the exhaust in separate, however, so they did not have to put my car on a lift. The guy did the job on the side, I paid him in cash, and I went on my way.

Since the shop will have to put your car on a lift, it will cost a bit more. The price range Derfdog gave is probably in the ballpark of what to expect.

post #4 of 14 Old January 11th, 2017, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast

I couldn't tell you a "fair price" in the area you live in. What I would recommend is for you to call around to 3-4 local shops in your area and get a quote, compare the price and go from there.

Spinning ain't Winning
post #5 of 14 Old January 11th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Regular

I am actually having new pipes put in this weekend, since my stock ones are rusted as shit. I called around and one place said $250 and they will weld in my flowmasters and another shop said $200 but they Braze them in, which I had to look up brazing lol

2001 Mustang GT - Airaid CAI, Accel Super Coils, UPR O/R X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters, BAMA Tune, Powerstop Rotor/Brakes,SR Short Throw Shifter.
post #6 of 14 Old January 11th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

A shop near me quoted me $150 to weld in my Pypes M-80s. They ended up not being able to but it was a reasonable quote.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - Cammed, Geared, Slow

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #7 of 14 Old January 11th, 2017, 02:04 PM
It's not easy being green!

My shop cost me 60 bucks to take out my 40's and weld in my M80's. Depending on your area 60-150 tops for that kinda job

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #8 of 14 Old January 11th, 2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerFan View Post
A shop near me quoted me $150 to weld in my Pypes M-80s. They ended up not being able to but it was a reasonable quote.
Really why couldn't they?

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

The funny part is the current catback I have installed on the car is a MAC Flowpath catback. When my daughter was young the sound and inside sound was too loud so I cut out the flowpaths and had the Super 44's welded in. This was 4-5 years ago so I forget what I paid back then. Now I'm basically putting the catback to how it was. From what I remember, the Flowpaths sounded pretty good. The Super 44's aren't as loud, the interior sound isn't as loud and deep, and I miss it. Now that the car is no longer my DD and my daughter is older I can start doing what I want to do with it - funds allowing of course. Sigh

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhdz36 View Post
I am actually having new pipes put in this weekend, since my stock ones are rusted as shit. I called around and one place said $250 and they will weld in my flowmasters and another shop said $200 but they Braze them in, which I had to look up brazing lol
Do you like the Super 44's with an off-road X? It just didn't sound right to me. I had this set up in the past. The H pipe really brought out the bass and deepness of the chambered muffler.

I've had experiences on both sides of the fence. I had Borla Stingers with an offroad H pipe and it didn't sound right either. An X really paired well with those mufflers.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg
This Is The Sound That Will Make You Go Sick....

Convertible Crew # 6
post #9 of 14 Old January 12th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
Really why couldn't they?.
Something about the slits that the mufflers have that are made to expand or contract. They wanted to clamp them with clamps I already have lol so I said forget it.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - Cammed, Geared, Slow

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #10 of 14 Old January 13th, 2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerFan View Post
Quote:
Really why couldn't they?.
Something about the slits that the mufflers have that are made to expand or contract. They wanted to clamp them with clamps I already have lol so I said forget it.
The slits where the inlet and outlet pipes go? My understanding is that's there so the mufflers can be installed easier. My mac cutback had these for the inlets of the pipe to go into the tips. I just rammed them in and clamped down with a lap band clamps versus the stock shit mac came with
GBPackerFan likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old January 14th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Regular

Quote:
Really why couldn't they?

Do you like the Super 44's with an off-road X? It just didn't sound right to me. I had this set up in the past. The H pipe really brought out the bass and deepness of the chambered muffler.

I've had experiences on both sides of the fence. I had Borla Stingers with an offroad H pipe and it didn't sound right either. An X really paired well with those mufflers.
Yeah I actually love it! for having the header leak. my 44s are just clamped into my stock piping but it sounds exactly how I wanted it too. I may change to an H pipe just see what that sounds like.

So I didnt get the new piping from 1 of the shops, they said since I was catless they couldnt touch my car. They pointed to a sign that said, "Don't ask us to remove your catalytic convertors and save us both from $2500 fine." Which I said your not touching my cats, Your bending pipe and welding in mufflers, Shit ill do the install at home if you can get it all together for me. They said no. Still gave me friendly advice and were nice about it but still I was bummed. Gonna try the other shop next weekend.

2001 Mustang GT - Airaid CAI, Accel Super Coils, UPR O/R X-pipe, Super 44 Flowmasters, BAMA Tune, Powerstop Rotor/Brakes,SR Short Throw Shifter.
post #12 of 14 Old January 14th, 2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Shops here will touch catless exhaust systems as long as it's not the midpipe

But that sucks.

Sound is all about what you want. The super 44 muffler is designed to be deep and aggressive so the h pipe brings that out whereas the x is more raspy
post #13 of 14 Old January 15th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
I would say probably in the $80-$160 range give or take, go for a mom and pop shop and it will probably be cheaper. It will take them ~1-2 hours to cut everything with precision, and properly weld it all back.
^ +1 I paid about that much
post #14 of 14 Old January 15th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Should cost no more than 1 hour of labor. I paid 65 to get mine done

02 roush turbo
CG Fabrication T6 build underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page