Modded Mustang Forums banner

Time for new exhaust...

725 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Eagle2000GT 
#1 ·
So its time for me to replace my old exhaust system. The welds are rusty and I'm sure its leaking in more places than one. I can also smell exhaust in the car when I have my windows closed, thinking maybe my cats are clogged (throwing a code for cat inefficiency). If it sounds like theres a bigger problem, please fill me in, but I'm guessing its just an exhaust leak.

So the two options I'm going over right now are:

1) Long Tubes --> Bolt On Glasspacks with dumps
2) Keeping stock manifolds and replacing my x pipe / cat back

I don't have to worry about emissions so I'll definitely be going catless either way. I also don't really plan on adding more power so would long tubes even be worth the install trouble? I wish I could do both, but my budget at the moment is allowing one or the other. Just looking for opinions, thanks!

#2 ·
If you don't want to stare at a CEL and get shitty mileage you're going to need to revise the tune if you remove the cats. If you're on a budget, keeping the manifolds and going new from there back will be the cheapest. Personally, I don't see any point in putting money into exhaust unless you're trying to gain some performance. I would go LT's... but I would not do cherry bombs and dump unless you want an obnoxiously loud car.

#4 ·
This isn't entirely true. I ran spacers on my rear o2s for years detuned and no shitty gad mileage.

If fumes bother you, get a catted midpipe and a catback. If you're on a budget, get a OR midpipe and look at performance curve cats. Cut and clamp them in yourself. Don't do glass packs. Atleast go m80s by pypes.

Keep stock manifolds. Either get MIL eliminators or if you're on a budget, get o2 spacers.

We need to know more about your budget, mechanical skill level, and sound desire.

I wouldn't have a shop create an entire exhaust. Crush bent piping makes me cringe.

#3 ·
I think on the SN95s you can do MIL eliminators to keep from getting a CEL, not sure on effects on mileage, but my rear O2s have been off on my 03 for ~5 years with no issues.

I would say midpipe back is your cheapest option, just take it to a local exhaust shop, tell me the general sound you want, and let me them work (usually some knockoff mufflers and the labor comes to ~$300 for a full set up from the cats back). You will have to remove cats yourself, which may be an issue depending on the shop you get to do the work.

Alternatively, find yourself a used setup on craigslist, here, SVTP, ebay, etc. etc.

#7 ·
I have never run mil-eliminators. My rear O2s are supposed to be turned off in the tune yet I still get an unusual CEL that is relate to the cats. It comes on in cold weather and go off in warmer weather. I pretty much ignore it because I'm running LTs and it cycles off.

Info: We do not have inspections in Indiana.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.