Modded Mustang Forums banner

Puking coolant?

657 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  1C2 
#1 ·
Hello again. The other day I decided to put some faith in my mustang and take it on about a 200 mile round trip. It did just fine, and I was sure to bring tools and coolant just in case. But when I got home and killed it, immediately it puked out a bunch of coolant as if it was overheating. Temp gauge was showing perfect temperature and it was a cool rainy day without really any traffic, just cruising on the highway. I'm pretty sure the temp gauge works cause it has overheated in the past and it read correctly then. The radiator cap is new too. It didn't do this when I reached Fresno (my destination) or on any stops along the way. And it was much warmer out on the way. Only thing I can think of is the wrong radiator cap, though it is new. I still do have a tiiiiny radiator leak, but its so insignificant i haven't messed with it. Just been keeping an eye on my coolant levels, which were perfectly fine throughout the trip. Is it possible there was to much coolant in it?

#2 ·
As long as you didn't pass the do not fill above line on the reservoir you're good.

Where exactly is the leak? I've had so many coolant leaks on my car you have to pinpoint where exactly the leak is. In fact I have it down to a science where to look if you see coolant on the ground after parked. Key is to know where it's puking.

If the coolant is under the radiator, well you know where to look. My radiator sprung a leak and ultimately failed. It was rotted out on the inside. Replaced raditor and thermostat for good measure will all new hoses and golden.

Passenger side firewall could be blown heater core inlet hose or nose to fill hose. Had this happen recently.

Front center of engine could be bad water pump. Had this happen but I found this out thru it whining so loudly that I took the belt off, turned the pulley on the water pump by hand and found out that was the issue.

Do you have your stock upper intake or is it aluminum crossover? Had to replace this too as mine was plastic.

Being that your radiator has a leak could indicate it's rotted internally thus causing pressures to increase too much causing the cap to blow as that's what it's designed to do. Above a certain pressure the cap gives way so other components don't fail.

We need more details but I'd replace that radiator. I got one cheap off rockauto and plugged holes designed for the automatic transmission lines.

#3 ·
The leak is on the top corner on the inside of the radiator, looks like someone accidentally bumped it with something when I was changing my head gaskets. It has the stock intake and hoses. Water pump is new. It's still at the full line even though it puked a good amount out.

#4 ·
The only reason that you will puke fluid out the radiator cap is over pressure. My car has done this a couple of times but I'm running and electric water pump and the relay that provides power to the pump failed. Oh, hitting red line on the gauge will not damage your motor if you shut it off immediately. I've hit red line several times.

Here is what I would do. I would first take the thermostat out and run the car without it. If the problem persists then its not the thermostat. (It will not damage your car to run without a thermostat. It just makes it slow to warm up.)

If the problem persists then take the car out of the city on the freeway. I have had inoperable fans. The motor will stay cool at speed then heat up in the city. I have actually seen the temperature gauge go up and down.

If you do not think that is the problem then I think it might be the water pump. I have lost water pumps at the most inappropriate times. I think its a curse. It always seems to be a Sunday morning a thousand miles from home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.