Modded Mustang Forums banner

ARP Main studs and oil pickup location question

722 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  69MUSTANGCOUPE393CID 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm finally starting to get my engine together and was reading over the ARP instructions and saw that the main studs will cause a .07" difference in my oil pickup location. I guess because of the washer that will be under the nut for the main stud. That being said how have you guys corrected this?

I do have a windage tray going in which will probably push my oil pan about .035" further down and I suppose if I use another factory gasket between it, I will probably get back to the correct pickup to pan clearance. But if I decided to not use a second oil pan gasket and just use RTV how would I correct for this?

TIA

#2 ·
Are you going to be doing road racing or something? I see a lot of guys who run the wind age tray having leaks and regretting it later. I'm sure you meant .007? because .07 is going to be a show stopper.

#3 · (Edited)
Instruction sheet attached. It's .070". It's a street strip car. I was thinking of using 2 oil pan gaskets and also putting RTV on the gaskets. You still think that will leak?

EDIT: Now that I'm reading some I think RTV between block and tray is best and then the regular pan gasket using the factory bolts. I think I see more people with the Canton oil pan leaking than the windage tray. I plan to use my factory pan still.

See step 1 on the sheet in the boxed section at the bottom.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.