Modded Mustang Forums banner

What is this whining/hum noise? Video Inside

727 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  harbnger 
#1 ·
https://youtu.be/omhHK7_XCIs

You can really hear it around the 16 second mark and forward. Basically its like a humming or whining noise. It's not the car speakers as I had it turned off. Almost sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side but I can't tell. Sounds louder on decel, but can't tell if that's because of the exhaust or what.

Does it sound transmission related or wheel bearing related? Rear end related? Can't tell. It still makes the noise when the clutch is pushed in. The sound completely goes away when the car is still or in neutral. Starts about 30MPH and gets worse from there. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

From what I read could be gears whining, but it's completely stock from the factory. Can factory gears fail? Need ideas where to look. This is completely new to me.

FYI Car is a 5-speed with 95K miles

#3 ·
What could cause this though if the gears are stock? Break down of oil?

I had to get the pinion seal replaced a year or 2 ago and when that was done I never asked what they replaced it with or if friction modifier was added. Should I just do a fluid flush and see how that goes?

#4 ·
I'd say it needs a rebuild. Maybe whoever replaced the pinion seal did a bad job and messed it up. Were there previous owners of your car ? Not technically experienced with rear end maintenance but my previous mustang made the same howling sound but far far worse. The slp lm1 exhaust didn't help either

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.