Modded Mustang Forums banner

Air Bag Error Code 12

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Infinite Monkeys 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Was driving home yesterday and my air bag light started flashing. It's flashing code 12 a few times then stays on solid. Looked up the code and it says its "lost battery feed". I assumed it was a fuse, so I checked under the dash and sure enough, the 10amp in slot 4 was blown. Went to replace it, the next one I put in popped instantly. I figured I'd try to disconnect the battery, waited 15 minutes, put a new fuse it, and as soon as I reconnected the battery, I heard the fuse pop. Im not sure what's causing it to blow, perhaps its a short?

I've been using this website (Mustang 1995 Air Bag Diagnostic Codes) for the codes as well as the attached schematic, but I'm not sure how to read it or know where to look for any possible issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: I've read through the steps to debug the code, but I'm not sure where any of these parts / harnesses are. Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
So far, I've unplugged the airbag wiring harness, replaced the 10A fuse in slot 4 and measured the voltage at pin 13 and 14. Both are reading ~12 volts which is fine as nothing happens until voltage falls below 8. I'm still working things out, but just gonna post what I find in case someone else has this problem later.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

So, as soon as I plugged the module back in, the fuse blew again. Is it possible that my airbag module just randomly died?

Aside from that, I'm not sure what the issue could be. I haven't done any electrical work recently and even then, the only thing I did was install a new radio, but that was years ago.

And I don't really feel like undoing the wire loom under the dash to try and find the problem. I'm thinking I am just gonna pull the airbags and remove the dummy light.

#4 ·
If you can find one cheap enough on ebay, it might be worth it to replace it and see what happens. Just a thought. Good luck.

Just looked on ebay, here's one for less than $30. Might be worth a try. Hopefully someone will have a more technical answer.

94-98 Mustang Saleen Cobra Air Bag Control Module Computer GT 4.6 3.6 V6 V8 | eBay
Thanks! I just unplugged everything for now. I may replace it, but I also might just go with an aftermarket steering wheel anyway, since mine is destroyed.

#5 ·
Well I kinda but not really have the same problem .... both of my cars the airbags have been activated. Now I'm doin a dash swap after I wrestle the V8 and 5 speed into place and get it under its own power but what do I do? Buy new airbags for the dash and steering wheel? I'm not that great at repairing interior stuff upholstery and astecitics arent my strong suit (along with spelling) I plan on doin the engine and driveline but since the airbags have deployed wouldnt i have to reset the computer? How do I get the dash not to have any lights on? Thanxz for your ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Well I kinda but not really have the same problem .... both of my cars the airbags have been activated. Now I'm doin a dash swap after I wrestle the V8 and 5 speed into place and get it under its own power but what do I do? Buy new airbags for the dash and steering wheel? I'm not that great at repairing interior stuff upholstery and astecitics arent my strong suit (along with spelling) I plan on doin the engine and driveline but since the airbags have deployed wouldnt i have to reset the computer? How do I get the dash not to have any lights on? Thanxz for your ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should start your own thread. It's generally not good to ask a question about what you have going on in someone else's thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.