replacing your clutch? look no further.
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 99 - 04

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (34) Thread Tools
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:28 PM   33 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
B0B
Boost gets you laid

2001 Mustang GT
12.93@113.7 (on the 18's)

B0B is just really niceB0B is just really niceB0B is just really niceB0B is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to B0B

replacing your clutch? look no further.

i decided to replace the clutch in my 01 GT, the throwout bearing was squeaking and the clutch chattered badly. so i ordered a spec stage 1 kit from american muscle and decided to tackle this project myself. i will give a basic walkthrough with some pictures to help guide your way! enjoy!

first, get your car supported as high as practical. if you dont have enough jackstands, wood blocks will also work.

next, remove your midpipe. the bolts holding the pipe to the catback are easy to remove. just let your catback hang it will be ok theres no need to support it with anything.

the bolts holding the midpipe to the manifold can be tricky to get to. you will need an extension and a swivel joint to reach them

be careful, that midpipe will fall down once you get the nuts off the exhaust manifold bolts! remove the four plugs for the o2 sensors and remove the pipe from underneath the car.

next, drain the transmission fluid. make sure you do this before you remove the driveline or else you'll have a mess to clean up!

next step, remove the driveline. dont panic, the bolts look funky but they are just 16 point bolts and a normal 16 point socket will fit them. you might need a swivel joint to get to these as well

after you get the bolts off, let the rear of the driveline hang down and gently pull it from the rear of the transmission. it should slide out easily. once removed, set it aside but make sure you dont get the part that goes back into the tranny dirty.

up next, the starter. first disconnect the battery, then proceed. there are three bolts holding the starter on, the top one is tricky to reach. i got it off by using a 6 inch extension and 3/8 ratchet. the ratchet has room to turn in the small space in front of the starter.

you're getting there!

now its time to remove the shifter. remove the shifter knob and the shifter bezel. take the rubber inner boot off and then unbolt the shifter. this part is pretty self explainatory.

next step is the clutch cable. there is only one screw holding the shield onto the transmission. remove the screw and pull it back and it will pop off. there is a clip holding the clutch cable to the transmission housing that will have to be removed, and there is also a bracket on the clutch fork that will need to be loosened so you can remove the cable. this process is simple, dont sweat it!

now you're ready to start unbolting the transmission. leave the bottom two bolts (one on each side) until last, you will need them to hold the transmission in place for the next coulpe steps.

place a jack under the rear of the transmission and remove the four crossmember bolts from the frame, lower the jack SLOWLY and allow the engine to rock back on the mounts, this will make it much easier to reach the top two bolts of the bellhousing and also the two wiring harnesses you will need to unplug that are located on the top of the transmission.

remove the bolts holding the transmission to the engine. they can be tricky to get to, you will have to experiment with different extensions and swivels to get the right angle. the top two are difficult to reach, i got them out using a two foot extension and a swivel. now you need to disconnect the two transmission wiring harnesses from the main harness. they are both located on the top of the bellhousing and you might be able to reach them from the bottom, but i got mine both disconnected from the top.

once you have all but the bottom two bolts removed, place the proper support under the transmission. i used two jacks in the process just to be safe. it would not be fun to drop your transmission on the ground and crack the case!

once supported, remove the last two bolts and slowly wiggle it free. it should pull straight back with a decent amount of convincing. lower the rear first and as its going down in the rear, pull it back to clear the input shaft from the pressure plate. once you get your transmission out, pull it aside where you can work on it.

now, you need to remove the pressure plate and the flywheel. this is self explainatory, but be careful because it might fall off when you take the bolts out.

next you need to take off the flywheel. once you get all the bolts out, you might need to tap it loose with a mallet or use a screwdriver to pry it off the crankshaft. watch out because its heavy and it will likely fall off when it comes loose.

after you get the flywheel off, remove the old pilot bearing. this can be difficult and you best bet is to go to autozone and rent a pilot bearing puller. you will need a slide hammer too so if you dont have one you can also rent one at autozone.

you will need to take your flywheel and get it resurfaced. i wouldn't advise putting a new clutch in without doing so because it is likely to chatter!

now, clean the hole out of the crankshaft and install the new pilot bearing. you will need to use a rubber mallet to hit it in because it fits tightly. make the side with the two notches on the pilot bearing goes in first, that way if you ever have to replace it again, the puller will have something to grab on to.

next, get your nicely resurfaced flywheel mounted and torqued to factory specifications (60lbs). dont forget to clean it off with a rag and some acetone when you're done to get all the grease off!

install clutch disc and pressure plate. make sure the disc is facing the right way or you'll have to do it all over again! use the supplied alignment tool with your kit and tighten it down to specifications. remove the tool once the pressure plate is tight.

now do the new throwout bearing. its a good idea to lube the pivot point and the shaft to keep it operating smoothly and quietly

it is much easier to have a buddy help you, but using two jacks i managed to wrestle the transmission back into place

you will need to line up the input shaft with the pressure plate

at this point it may become difficult to get the rest of the way in. you will have to wiggle it back and forth to get the input shaft into the pilot bearing.

yes, its in!! before you get too excited, hook up your clutch cable and make sure the clutch feels ok and disengages. this way you know there wont be any surprises when you get everything else finished!

now the rest of the process is simple, just reverse the order in which you took things off and you're all set! dont forget to break in your clutch and refill the transmission fluid!

04 Mach 1. Whipple 2.3, T56, built motor. build in progress
'01 GT. Just a couple Bolt-ons. 0rwhp 0rwtq.
2003 Rubicon (wheelin rig)
2008 Silverado 4x4 (towin rig/road queen)

2009 KTM 450 XC-W (Brap Brap!)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #2
It's called a buggy

2021 Mustang V15
Quad Turbo with nawz

BWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond reputeBWAL has a reputation beyond repute

good stuff!

+rep

'89 LX 5.0
'90 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'92 LX 5.0
'97 Cobra

2001 Cobra For Sale
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

Dansby is a glorious beacon of lightDansby is a glorious beacon of lightDansby is a glorious beacon of lightDansby is a glorious beacon of lightDansby is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Dansby

Great write up. +rep
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

good write up dude.

wish I would have done this with the pics lol

Im about to have to take mine back out again and redo the TOB

Spec TOB suck the balls
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5
RLY SRS

ChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ

Thank you For the Great Write Up...

Thats quality right there...
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Enthusiast

1996 mustang gt

gtdan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gtdan

i hope this helps me to do it on my 96 !!!

+1 rep
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #7
Regular

2004 Mustang GT

GJ Rodriguez is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GJ Rodriguez

excellent....

thanks for the info and pics...
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

1995 Civic EX
Soon to see a Garrett 60 trim

DanTheMan will become famous soon enough

great write up thanks!!

Just one thing.. i wouldn't get under my car supported on wood blocks, maybe that's just me..
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Enthusiast

FOR POINT SIX is on a distinguished road

Great write up....

And I always use wood blocks when my 2 jack stands just are not enough...
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #10

01 GT

medrick is on a distinguished road

thats awesome i just pulled my tranny a couple days ago and bought a new clutch. the instructions that came with it are horrible but now im clear.
thanks
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

99 limited edition vert

limited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to alllimited is a name known to all

good write-up, but I would not use wood blocks in place of jackstands. if that is a wood block holding up the front of your car in the first photo,that is dangerous as hell,one sideway's push and down it comes. remember people SAFETY FIRST
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #12
B0B
Boost gets you laid

2001 Mustang GT

B0B is just really niceB0B is just really niceB0B is just really niceB0B is just really nice

Originally Posted by limited View Post
good write-up, but I would not use wood blocks in place of jackstands. if that is a wood block holding up the front of your car in the first photo,that is dangerous as hell,one sideway's push and down it comes. remember people SAFETY FIRST
theres 3 4x6's stacked up laying horizontally holding the right side up, and one huge one, 6x8 or something holding the right side up. lol it looks like a 2x4 on that picture but it is extremely sturdy. i pushed on the car hard and it simply didn't budge. definitely think safety first though

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT

workinprogress is on a distinguished road

i have never had to do tranny work on my back but this would deff help if i did...i have always used a lift
Originally Posted by drgnracin72 View Post
yes, its called the violater for a reason
http://www.youtube.com/mrgearhead87
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM   #14
EMT

1997 Mustang Cobra
1/8 - 8.89@86mph

97Cobra will become famous soon enough

ah hem... How To Replace a Clutch | AutoHow.TV

Modifications and pics in my Garage...

Reps Appreciated!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #15
Enthusiast

03 GT, 92 coupe 2.3T

coffinator6 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by B0B View Post
next step, remove the driveline. dont panic, the bolts look funky but they are just 16 point bolts and a normal 16 point socket will fit them. you might need a swivel joint to get to these as well
nice write up.

Ill use it when i replace mine. But i saw one problem with the write up. The bolts for the rear are 12 point not 16. It's an honest mistake and most people won't catch it.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:03 AM   #16
B0B
Boost gets you laid

2001 Mustang GT

whoops!! i can't believe i didn't catch that.. you're right they are 12 point!

Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM   #17
Enthusiast

03 GT, 92 coupe 2.3T

coffinator6 will become famous soon enough

whoops!! i can't believe i didn't catch that.. you're right they are 12 point!

I saw that and saw like 16 point?? oh he means 12 point. its cool though. did that clutch problem ever go away?
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #18
Regular

KM3434 is on a distinguished road

I have longtubes on my car....how would that effect the clutch install, would they be in the way?
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #19
MM Fanatic

6.82@100mph 1.45 60'

mystang0673 is a jewel in the roughmystang0673 is a jewel in the roughmystang0673 is a jewel in the rough

after you get the flywheel off, remove the old pilot bearing. this can be difficult and you best bet is to go to autozone and rent a pilot bearing puller. you will need a slide hammer too so if you dont have one you can also rent one at autozone.
also.. if you are too broke you can pack the hole full of grease or wet toilet paper and fint an extension or something like that that barely fits in the hole and put it in and hit it with a hammer... repeat till the pilot bearing pops out...

also.... when you take off the transmission cross member the transmission will drop... if you jack it back up into place, you can reach the top 2 belhousing bolts with a 1/2" swivel head ratchet wrench... this is on a 2v, im sure it would be harder on a 4v.
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #20
EMT

1997 Mustang Cobra
1/8 - 8.89@86mph

97Cobra will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 97Cobra View Post
ah hem... How To Replace a Clutch | AutoHow.TV

easier to watch it done for most ppl...

Modifications and pics in my Garage...

Reps Appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/66908-replacing-your-clutch-look-no-further.html
Posted By For Type Date
The Different Types of Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Granite Countertops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:44 PM
About Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Corian Colors London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:43 PM
Granite Countertops: One of the Very best Kitchen Worktops in the Market - Corian Countertopslondon This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:43 PM
The Different Kinds of Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Solid Surface Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:43 PM
What You Need to Find out about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Quartz Countertops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:42 PM
What You must Find out about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Granite Kitchen London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:42 PM
Solid Surface Granite Countertops & Kitchen Worktops - Granite Kitchen London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:42 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops: For a Classy-looking Kitchen - Granite Worktops UK This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:41 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops: For an Elegant-Looking Kitchen - Quartz Kitchen Worktops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:41 PM
Granite Countertops: One of the Very best Kitchen Worktops in the Market - Marble Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:41 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops: For an Elegant-Looking Kitchen - Marble Kitchen Worktops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:40 PM
What You have to Learn about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Corian Colors London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:40 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops Options - Marble Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:40 PM
What You must Know about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Marble Kitchen Worktops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:39 PM
The Different Kinds of Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Kitchen Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:39 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops: For an Elegant-Looking Kitchen - Granite Countertops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:38 PM
Misc auto experts, I need your help please 6.9k+ - Bodybuilding.com Forums This thread Refback February 15th, 2014 12:15 PM
Misc auto experts, I need your help please 6.9k+ - Bodybuilding.com Forums This thread Refback February 15th, 2014 12:13 PM
replacing clutch on 1999 mustang. first time lol - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback January 15th, 2014 10:29 AM
I need help. : cars This thread Refback December 26th, 2013 10:04 PM
1997 Mustang GT Clutch Change Up - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback June 27th, 2012 03:06 AM
2000 mustang TOB removal? This thread Refback April 9th, 2012 03:18 PM
clutch attempt This thread Refback February 12th, 2012 02:03 AM
Clutch Install Questions This thread Refback January 26th, 2012 06:21 AM
I am new to working on late model mustangs. I am in the process - JustAnswer This thread Refback July 1st, 2011 11:20 PM
How To Install 1995 Acura Legend Clutch and Pressure Plate - Overview : Kosmix This thread Refback July 10th, 2010 07:33 PM
Clutch Install Questions This thread Refback June 16th, 2010 04:36 PM
Is He Missing Anything? - Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Pingback March 18th, 2010 11:25 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback June 23rd, 2009 06:45 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback June 22nd, 2009 08:52 PM
clutch attempt - CMC Forums This thread Refback April 13th, 2009 11:12 AM
Clutch Install Questions - ModularFords.com This thread Refback August 14th, 2008 07:21 PM
replacing your clutch? look no further. - Page 2 This thread Refback June 19th, 2008 10:13 PM
replacing your clutch? look no further. This thread Refback May 4th, 2008 04:25 PM

Threads Similar to: replacing your clutch? look no further.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing Clutch bbrewer03 96 - 98 3 August 4th, 2007 05:59 PM
Replacing amp, need help mikebert Audio/Video 6 June 17th, 2007 09:12 PM
Replacing OEM Clutch ABCs / Brake Upgrade OcOnnor220 99 - 04 2 April 14th, 2007 09:07 AM
Replacing a Clutch Without a Lift OcOnnor220 99 - 04 4 February 16th, 2007 12:09 AM
Replacing cannons.. B0mb3r645 96 - 98 8 August 1st, 2006 02:24 AM