Modded Mustang Forums banner

are steeda underdrive pulleys worthit

10K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  DiZzyBonne 
#1 ·
thinking about getting some steeda pulleys for my next mod are they worth it,thanks

#3 ·
how much hp will i gain

#4 ·
Pullies give back hp, not gain. Ford claims 260 HP but that's with the engine dyno. Ever watch horsepower TV? You''ll see one in action. Once installed, you're stangs real HP is around 245 HP. Atleast that's what I've seen on a stock GT strapped to a dynojet.

#5 ·
They are worth it. You will get high single to maybe low double digit gains maybe. Most of the time its a high single digit gain. For the $150 you will spend on the pullies look into the stewart components water pump. Same price as the steeda pullies but with a better wheel horse power gain.

#13 ·
fell free to explain. I dont understand how it would loose boost when the pullies are technically smaller in different places. Stock belt is still on my car with underdrive pullies and so if the belt length is the same, wouldnt the boost be the same?

#16 ·
DeMello... Ask anybody here that has dropped serious cash in there car and ask if the cheap mods actually helped...

I can vouch for that one...

But Tim can you explain the Boost thing to me through a PM or here?

#18 ·
Well Tims car has had a few setups. The first one was a supercharger. But the little piddly **** like CAI and what not is not going to help you unless you have cams and heads, blowr or turbo....

#23 ·
is it like that with all sport cars or just stangs?

like i keep hearing my car wont respond that well to bolt ons and then i hear that people do the same stuff with their import and gain a good amout of hp

#26 ·
Underdrive pulleys have a much smaller crank pulley. Just like on a 10-speed bicycle, if a smaller gear is used to drive the others it takes less effort to pedal the bike but you don't go as fast. Underdrive pulleys cause superchargers to have less boost because the supercharger's drive pulley is spinning at a lot lower rpm.

#27 ·
When I first put on my ud's, I personally thought I gained a little power, but it wasn't nearly worth the squeaky hell I went through about a year later. For some reason, the pulleys would start squealing every time I turned on the car and it got worse and worse until I finally just recently had them pulled off and the stock ones put back on...not worth it IMO.

Anyone else ever had that problem? I tried a tighter belt and everything...nothing worked...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.